Did my parents not care at all about their kids?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:11:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Did my parents not care at all about their kids?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Did my parents not care at all about their kids?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 12

Author Topic: Did my parents not care at all about their kids?  (Read 1834 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 01, 2005, 12:18:53 PM »

Well it appears all the conservatives here think parents who send their kids to private schools are just lazy selfish bastards who couldn't care less about their kids. I guess mine are since me and my brother all went to public schools, and my youngest brother is still going to a public school and will definately go to a public high school as well. My parents were not fond of private schools at all. One of my mom's friends sent her kids to a private school, and I sometimes heard my mom talking about how stupid she thought that was, and how stupid it was to pay so much for something you could easily get for free. So were my parents just heartless bastards who didn't care if their kids failed? If so that's rather odd considering all they sacrificed for us (moving off the reservation to a place that was a much better environment for us even though it meant commuting an hour to work and back every day, buying both me and my brother our cars and paying for our college education now, and paying off that huge credit card debt I incurred my freshman year...but hey, no parent who sends their kids to a public school can care about their kids!)
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 12:26:44 PM »

Well it appears all the conservatives here think parents who send their kids to private schools are just lazy selfish bastards who couldn't care less about their kids.
Huh?  I don't think that.  Honestly.  Where did I ever say that?

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Most likely just dumb and uneducated.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Buying you a car is NOT "doing something for you."  It hurts you in the long run.  Paying for your college education is also NOT "doing something for you."  It hurts you in the long run.  (Unless it is an interest free loan, which is how I will pay for my kids' tertiary education.)  And worst of all, paying off that huge credit card debt is NOT GOOD FOR YOU AT ALL.

I'm sorry, but from what I read your parents made a lot of mistakes.  Maybe they were all heart and had the best intentions, but the way to hell is paved with good intentions and this is certainly not the best way to teach one's kids responsiblity and accountablility.

My parents, after I turned 18, helps me out, but I do not get any freebies (except accomodation and food).  I pay for my own education.  I pay for my own accomodation and living costs while living at school.  They would never in a million years pay off my credit card debt, unless it is through selling my stuff (such as my computer, etc.).  They would never buy me a car, unless it is like an interest free loan that they expect me to pay back.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 08:26:13 PM »

Well it appears all the conservatives here think parents who send their kids to private schools are just lazy selfish bastards who couldn't care less about their kids. I guess mine are since me and my brother all went to public schools, and my youngest brother is still going to a public school and will definately go to a public high school as well. My parents were not fond of private schools at all. One of my mom's friends sent her kids to a private school, and I sometimes heard my mom talking about how stupid she thought that was, and how stupid it was to pay so much for something you could easily get for free. So were my parents just heartless bastards who didn't care if their kids failed? If so that's rather odd considering all they sacrificed for us (moving off the reservation to a place that was a much better environment for us even though it meant commuting an hour to work and back every day, buying both me and my brother our cars and paying for our college education now, and paying off that huge credit card debt I incurred my freshman year...but hey, no parent who sends their kids to a public school can care about their kids!)

Your mother makes the point; why pay for something when you can get it for free. If there was a voucher system where she could send you wherever she wanted, would she still have have chosen the same way? Maybe, maybe not. But at least she would have had a choice. With the present government run  monopoly on education she had essentially no choice.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 08:29:12 PM »

No, your parents are quite stupid for paying off your debt and buying you and your brother a car. Seems that's where you get your attitude from. How about working for a car instead of having it handed to you?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 08:47:44 PM »

If I didn't have a car, I couldn't have a job anyway.

Your mother makes the point; why pay for something when you can get it for free. If there was a voucher system where she could send you wherever she wanted, would she still have have chosen the same way? Maybe, maybe not. But at least she would have had a choice. With the present government run  monopoly on education she had essentially no choice.

We did have school choice. There was 2 public high schools in my city. I lived in the district of one, but they were both about equal distance from our house. Most of my friends were going to the other one, so I transfered.

If we did have vouchers, I know that my parents would've never sent me to a private school unless I wanted to. They let me and my brothers pick what school we wanted to go to for middle and high school.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 08:50:09 PM »

Buy a car yourself then.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 08:52:00 PM »

I attend public schools, but if you honestly think you get a better education at a public school than a private school you are either an idiot or an ignorant fool, perhaps both.
Cashcow

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 08:52:57 PM »

My parents cared about me more than enough, thanks
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2005, 08:53:38 PM »

BTW, I am not one mto question others parenting, so I did not vote.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2005, 08:58:45 PM »

I don't have the money. And I can't buy one unless I get the money which requires a job.

For the record this car is not a new one, it's basically a hand-me-down. Once my parents bought a new car they gave me this one.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2005, 09:01:19 PM »

Maybe my community is wierdly self responsible, but the majority of kids buy their own cars and don't get given cars. No matter how new or old they are.
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2005, 09:14:39 PM »

We did have school choice. There was 2 public high schools in my city

You're from Bismarck, right? You go to BHS or Century?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2005, 09:16:57 PM »

Century.
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2005, 09:23:48 PM »

Ah. They beat my school team (Minot) for state Science Bowl one year. Bastards.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2005, 09:31:21 PM »

well you beat us at our senior homecoming football game.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2005, 02:13:14 AM »

I'm not even going to pretend to know if your parents love you.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2005, 02:47:28 AM »

Where has anybody ever said that parents are neglectful if they send their kids to public school?

Truthfully, it depends on the school system.  Parents should seek to put their kids into schools that at least meet some standard, and if the public schools do, then there's nothing wrong with sending your kids there.

As far as your own parents' relationship with you, and parenting techniques, what they do is their business.  The results speak for themselves, for better or worse, and only you know the truth.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2005, 07:21:14 AM »

Ser David, if you want to buy a wine, would you rather take one that you already paid for and tastes like vinegar, or spend a few extra dollars and get a quality French wine?
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2005, 02:46:40 PM »

In Louisiana, if you don't send your children to private school you are (virtually) committing child abuse. Not sure if that's true in Texas, though
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2005, 03:19:25 PM »

Ser David, if you want to buy a wine, would you rather take one that you already paid for and tastes like vinegar, or spend a few extra dollars and get a quality French wine?

Personally I'd rather buy beer. Smiley I would not argue with your assessment of public schools being like vinegar, although the public schools in our area are pretty good. My point to Born on the Floor  is that by funding the public schools with tax dollars and not allowing those dollars to be used for private schools the state gives a huge cost advantage to public schools. I haven't priced private schools, but in public schools the per student spending in our area is about $7000. If private schools cost as much then the parents would have to shell out $7000 per child each year for private school. Over grades 1 through 12 that would amount to $84,000 per child or $168,000 for two children. Thats a pretty stiff cost for most parents to absorb, which pretty much eliminates the private option for people of average means.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies