Christians are moral, but atheists aren't
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:27:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Christians are moral, but atheists aren't
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Christians are moral, but atheists aren't  (Read 1707 times)
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 07, 2016, 08:15:15 PM »
« edited: March 14, 2016, 05:35:05 PM by AlwaysBernie »

I'm not sure who came up with this or why, but as an atheist, I take exception to this. No one's going to deny that atheists can and have committed atrocities, but can we stop perpetuating the myth that a person is moral because they believe in a higher power?

Televangelism is something I'm a vocal critic of. I call it Telescamgelism because they're con artists. You're telling me that Jimmy Swaggert had morals when he was engaging in infidelity? Did Jim Bakker have morals when he did jail time? What about Kent Hovind?

Ken Paxton is your typical Texas politician who obsesses about so-called religious 'freedom' but where's his moral compass at that he's been indicted over securities fraud?

If religion equals morals, how does anyone explain the reputation the Catholic Church has garnered over pedophiles within its ranks and the protection of them?

A woman in Kentucky was arrested in the beating up of a disabled man who jokingly said he did not believe in God.

Another woman in the Phoenix area shot a non-believer in the eye and buried her on the couch as a shrine for God.

Robert L. Dear, the Planned Parenthood shooter, he read the Bible and thought anti-abortionists were doing God's work.

Christians constantly say an atheist can't be president because of the concern about said candidate thinking no one is above them. Hello, United States vs. Nixon assured us the president is not above the lae. An atheist still has checks and balances and to deal with Congress.

I'm an atheist. I've raped zero people. I've killed zero people. Hiding behind a book of scripture isn't a protection for morality, nor is the rejection of said book a disqualification of morality.

I don't know when an open atheist becomes president but eventually it will happen. I hope I'm alive to see such a glorious day for I would be so proud.

Maybe instead of looking at a person's faith or lack thereof, we should look at how they use it.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 08:50:19 PM »

My belief simply stated is that it is more important to believe in good than to believe in God.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 09:03:30 PM »

My belief simply stated is that it is more important to believe in good than to believe in God.

There's no doubt. Too bad some think it's synonymous.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 03:50:12 PM »

Maybe instead of looking at a person's faith or lack thereof, we should look at how they use it.

I agree with this quote so much.

Anyway, the people you described are Christians who has never read the Bible, they don't know that it doesn't advocate violence.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 04:31:07 PM »

I'm sure the Trump supporter who punched the protestor would claim he is a Christian.
P123

Political Matrix
E: 3.64, S: 3.20

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 01:53:34 AM »

Well, I mean I do find it hilarious when Atheists talk about mass Christian atrocities, yet leave out the Soviet Union (a mass atheist atrocity).

Yet, I consider myself an Atheist. Evangelical Christianity tends to be pretty pathetic as a whole IMO. To stuck in 2000 era Texas values Conservatism.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 11:19:45 AM »

Well, I mean I do find it hilarious when Atheists talk about mass Christian atrocities, yet leave out the Soviet Union (a mass atheist atrocity).

Yet, I consider myself an Atheist. Evangelical Christianity tends to be pretty pathetic as a whole IMO. To stuck in 2000 era Texas values Conservatism.

I condemn atheist atrocities too. The difference is I feel the atheist atrocities cloud judgement and believers think all of us are like that and all of them are moral because they believe. Not true.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 06:26:02 PM »

To be fair, you never hear Christians talking about how morality is relative, or whether there is a right or wrong.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2016, 09:09:04 PM »

The "Christian" you describe sound mentally ill and violate all Christian teachings so they aren't actually christians... spouting the name and claiming it doesn't make it so. Also, atheists can be good people. People shouldn't deny that and if they do its silly.
Im saying this as an evangelical Christian:)
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 05:34:27 PM »

The "Christian" you describe sound mentally ill and violate all Christian teachings so they aren't actually christians... spouting the name and claiming it doesn't make it so. Also, atheists can be good people. People shouldn't deny that and if they do its silly.
Im saying this as an evangelical Christian:)

I'm appreciative of your viewpoint. The vocal people of the extremities are prominent and if Christians want to know why they are resented, those kind of people give you folks a bad name.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2016, 10:05:11 AM »

Isaiah 65:5
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2016, 09:02:40 PM »

Regardless of whether you godless heathens are moral or not, I and a lot of others today prayed for you to know God's love. Altho, when doing that overly long laundry list of people to pray for, I was a lot more interested in the prayers for our rulers. Because face it, even the remote possibility that TRUMP could end up as President is cause enuf for myriad multitudes of prayers that our rulers be granted wisdom. Our poor country will need those prayers answered if he actually wins.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2016, 10:05:59 AM »

Trump? OMG! To paraphrase Proverbs 14:7 "Don't vote for a FOOLISH clown, when thou perceivest not in him the lips of knowledge."
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2016, 10:11:42 AM »

First Corinthians 13 defines love without mentioning "God" once. Yes, it is possible for an atheist to believe in good. It is more important to believe in good than in anything else. (except truth and wisdom, obviously). Who is the good candidate? The one who doesn't call himself a Christian. (Sanders) Do you think Trump or Cruz are "good" candidates? (you as in all of or any of you)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2016, 11:44:28 AM »

Regardless of whether you godless heathens are moral or not, I and a lot of others today prayed for you to know God's love.

I have husband love, family love and friendship love. I don't need the ascribed creator of the universe to make me feel any more 'loved' than I already am Smiley
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2016, 07:57:00 PM »

So Governor Bentley has been in hot water and now speculation around Cruz for infidelity. This is why Christians are hated by a lot of people.

Also, Christians, please don't pray for me. I'm sure you mean well, but that energy would be better saved for a believer or someone close to you.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2016, 09:57:33 PM »

So Governor Bentley has been in hot water and now speculation around Cruz for infidelity. This is why Christians are hated by a lot of people.

Also, Christians, please don't pray for me. I'm sure you mean well, but that energy would be better saved for a believer or someone close to you.

A prayer is never a waste (time and place for everything, that's in Ephesians if I remember correctly), and believer or no, you have nothing to lose by allowing some in your name.

For those of us that do believe, it is the best way to clean our conscience by lending an invisible helping hand...well invisible to your ilk anyway.

RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2016, 10:07:42 PM »

A prayer is never a waste (time and place for everything, that's in Ephesians if I remember correctly), and believer or no, you have nothing to lose by allowing some in your name.

For those of us that do believe, it is the best way to clean our conscience by lending an invisible helping hand...well invisible to your ilk anyway.

I can't make you not pray for me. It's just that I'd rather you not. For your beliefs and mine are not the same and I don't see myself worthy as prayer.

I keep people in my thoughts, but I don't do prayers.

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2016, 07:01:12 AM »

I can't make you not pray for me. It's just that I'd rather you not. For your beliefs and mine are not the same and I don't see myself worthy as prayer.

That ties in with my views on what the myth of Eden represents. That painful moment when humanity realized that it wasn't perfect and then thought itself unworthy of love and thus unlovable. But true love is not dependent upon our worth. For some it takes the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ to bring them to that realization. May you find or be led to whatever path brings you to the realization that we are all loved and that love is not dependent upon our worth and love is never earned, it is only shared.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2016, 11:51:46 AM »

That ties in with my views on what the myth of Eden represents. That painful moment when humanity realized that it wasn't perfect and then thought itself unworthy of love and thus unlovable. But true love is not dependent upon our worth. For some it takes the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ to bring them to that realization. May you find or be led to whatever path brings you to the realization that we are all loved and that love is not dependent upon our worth and love is never earned, it is only shared.

Maybe I'm worthy of love, but not prayer. I have denounced religion, especially Christianity ad nauseam. I have a ton to say about televangelism and family values hypocrisy in this country. It's these people why a lot of people have resentment towards to the Christian faith.

I also don't appreciate it when believers here cry persecution when a convert in Bangladesh was killed for their faith. Asking every faith to play by the same rules and given equal treatment isn't persecution.
i4indyguy
Rookie
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2016, 11:12:54 PM »

The charitable and intellectually honest thing to do is attribute atrocities done by 'insert group/view here'  only to those views that were the PREPONDERANT INSPIRATION for the objectionable action.

Yes, the soviet union was officially atheist.  But the preponderant inspiration for stalins' purges of the general core was the personalized paranoia of one Josef Drugashvilli (not atheism).  The preponderant inspiration for the collectivization of farms was a crackpot economic ideology (not atheism). 

It is a sign of a charitable and evolved religious 'opponant' that they are able to separate actions done BY 'Christian/muslim/atheist'   from those actions that are INSPIRED 'by same'.

MY personal reading of history is that to attribute the horrors of communism to atheists is as silly as attributing the horrors of the concentration camps to men with funny mustaches.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies