Democratic MI/MS election results thread (first results @8pm ET)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:01:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Democratic MI/MS election results thread (first results @8pm ET)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32
Author Topic: Democratic MI/MS election results thread (first results @8pm ET)  (Read 29487 times)
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #650 on: March 08, 2016, 11:28:16 PM »

Whoa what just happened.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #651 on: March 08, 2016, 11:28:51 PM »

I think Kent.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #652 on: March 08, 2016, 11:28:53 PM »

Tonight is significant not because of delegates, not because of momentum, not because of bragging rights or upsets or whatever, but because of what it signifies. Michigan was the first big industrial Midwest state to vote. It's a harbinger of things to come in delegate-rich Illinois, Ohio, and Pennsylvania. I mean, if Sanders does as well in Cook county as he did in Wayne, he'll carry Illinois. If he does as well in Cuyahoga, he'll carry Ohio. If he does as well in Philly, he'll carry Pennsylvania. And so on. That's huge.
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #653 on: March 08, 2016, 11:28:53 PM »

I'm still not sure why people are ignoring the delegate math here. This does not close the gap for Sanders, not even close.

This.

I've noticed that you never truly make any contributions to any discussions at all. Almost everything I've seen you do in these past few days is quote another Clinton's supporter's goalpost moving with the word "This." Why not try using your own opinions?

I just did before you posted this. Wink

Fair enough. But still, a disproportionate amount of your posting activity is simply empty quoting other Clinton hacks.

Us "hacks" are still easily beating you Bernie "bots"

You only believe that because you seem to believe that there is no possible way for a superdelegate to switch endorsements. Yes, Clinton could theoretically reach the threshold using superdelegates, but if Sanders held the lead in pledged delegates, it's very likely that those superdelegates would switch over to Sanders. The superdelegates will likely have no effect whatsoever on the primaries.

Erm, she's going to have a ~220-230 pledged delegate lead after tonight. That's extremely difficult to overcome in a 100% proportional system.

It was a theoretical statement. Our friend "3peat 2016" here seems to think that Clinton will be able to win on the backs of superdelegates.

As long as she has a 1 pledged delegate lead after June 7th SHE WILL WIN ON THE BACKS OF SUPERDELEGATES.

That's true, but then, she would have the majority even without superdelegates. On the other hand, if she didn't have the majority in pledged delegates, I have serious doubts that the superdelegates would overrule the people. Like somebody else here said, it's a catch-22. The only time when superdelegates will actually be able to save her, they won't save her.

Bernie Sanders was never gonna = Obama 2008 which is what so many Sanders fans seemed to think this election cycle. Obama had to virtually sweep the south to remain close to Hillary. Hillary has won all those states by YYUUGGEE margins this year.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #654 on: March 08, 2016, 11:28:56 PM »

HUGE dump from Kent just came in. Wayne and Genesee still to come in.

Even though I hate the result, a close election can be sick and sad fun.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #655 on: March 08, 2016, 11:29:23 PM »

I think a bunch of Bernie votes from Kent county came in. They should be calling this soon.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #656 on: March 08, 2016, 11:29:36 PM »

Grand Rapids tripped and dropped their votes.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #657 on: March 08, 2016, 11:30:06 PM »

Grand Rapids tripped and dropped their votes.
If I were the networks, I would call if for Sanders at this point. Though it is likely going to be a one point or so victory.
Sorenroy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -5.91

P P
« Reply #658 on: March 08, 2016, 11:31:17 PM »

Honestly, the water crisis in Flint is so atrocious to me, and the fact that it permeated every level of that stupid governorship, that I hope Rick Snyder is not only recalled, but is jailed for murder.

Do you at least give her some credit for bringing it up?

God yes. I don't post as veraciously on this forum as others, because most of the time I have nothing to add. And I pride myself on that. I try not to be a hack, or if I am, I try to support what I am saying. No matter what other people say, Clinton has earned the respect and votes she has gotten. None of her voters were "conned" or "duped" into picking the wrong person. I support Sanders because I see his positions on healthcare, the minimum wage, and infrastructure (as well as other things if I was taking more time to think about them) as better than Clinton's, but I don't believe that she is a bad person. Rather than say f*** those stupid Southern black voters, I find it frustrating that Sanders did nothing to reach out to them. If I was ever running for president and won on the backs of only one group, I would be greatly saddened as it would have shown that I could not get my message to those people. In fact, if Sanders wins this primary race by 51-49 but only leads among whites and looses blacks by a 70-30 margin (or worse), I honestly see that as more of a tragedy then loosing 51-49 with 49% support among every single group.

TL;DR: Yes, and I have great admiration for Clinton and her campaign.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #659 on: March 08, 2016, 11:31:40 PM »

Tonight is significant not because of delegates, not because of momentum, not because of bragging rights or upsets or whatever, but because of what it signifies. Michigan was the first big industrial Midwest state to vote. It's a harbinger of things to come in delegate-rich Illinois, Ohio, and Pennsylvania. I mean, if Sanders does as well in Cook county as he did in Wayne, he'll carry Illinois. If he does as well in Cuyahoga, he'll carry Ohio. If he does as well in Philly, he'll carry Pennsylvania. And so on. That's huge.

Hillary also won most Midwest states in 08. He has the same problem she had, but even bigger: it's not enough to overcome the Southern blowout.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #660 on: March 08, 2016, 11:31:46 PM »

Looks like Debbie Wasserman Schultz didn't get to Michigan in time to burn the votes.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #661 on: March 08, 2016, 11:32:12 PM »

People said Bernie could only win caucuses. He could only win small states. Tonight will be a big statement.

I'll give you that. But can he do it again in a week?

Why not? Hasn't he defied expectations as it is?

He has, clearly, it s a good night for him. At the same time, Hillary won OH, TX, and PA late in 08. Was a big story for weeks. lots of momentum. Didn't matter long run.

Bernie has gotten a lot of black support tonight, which could help.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #662 on: March 08, 2016, 11:32:43 PM »

AP calls it for Sanders
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #663 on: March 08, 2016, 11:33:01 PM »

Hillary also won most Midwest states in 08. He has the same problem she had, but even bigger: it's not enough to overcome the Southern blowout.

Well yeah, but he could get 90-100 delegates during the Western caucus blowouts of April. That makes it close enough that things like momentum could actually tip the scales.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #664 on: March 08, 2016, 11:33:10 PM »

Sanders wins Michigan!
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #665 on: March 08, 2016, 11:33:14 PM »

Virtual tie!
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #666 on: March 08, 2016, 11:33:22 PM »

AP, NYT calls it for Sanders
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #667 on: March 08, 2016, 11:33:42 PM »

Cheesy
izixs
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.31, S: -6.51

« Reply #668 on: March 08, 2016, 11:34:10 PM »

New numbers suggest that Clinton now needs 60%+ to pull out a win. So yes, the calls starting up make sense.
Dorko Julio

« Reply #669 on: March 08, 2016, 11:34:14 PM »

Fox calls it for Sanders as well.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #670 on: March 08, 2016, 11:34:18 PM »

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #671 on: March 08, 2016, 11:34:18 PM »

Based on my math, there's only 40K left in Wayne and Clinton can only net 20K out of there (30-10K) - at best.

Looking good.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #672 on: March 08, 2016, 11:34:35 PM »

MSNBC calls it for Sanders!!!

Biggest primary polling upset in modern history!!!
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #673 on: March 08, 2016, 11:34:58 PM »

WOW!!!!!!!!!!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83