College football map
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:12:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  College football map
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: College football map  (Read 939 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 08, 2016, 11:35:17 AM »

link- NY Times

A couple of years old, so we may have seen it.  I hadn't.

Poor Indiana.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 11:54:53 AM »

I love it! At first, I thought they excluded North Dakota State, but on second glance, it looks like that light shade may be them, which is impressive - nearly as impressive as Fresno.

I guess that's the Aztecs by the Mexican border? Which really goes to show just how embarrassing this must be for UCLA.

Basketball would be great to see - with Indiana actually going into swing along with UCLA and maybe Duke with a national presence. I've also read a lot of Cornhuskers turn into Blue Jays for the basketball season.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 12:00:22 PM »

Freedom map. I am generally pleased with the results of this map and the people I live around.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 12:02:58 PM »

Freedom map. I am generally pleased with the results of this map and the people I live around.

I love it! At first, I thought they excluded North Dakota State, but on second glance, it looks like that light shade may be them, which is impressive - nearly as impressive as Fresno.

Unfortunately they did leave out NDSU. This map is only Div. I FBS schools. I have no doubt that in reality NDSU dominates North Dakota. Funny enough, Texas is the top FBS team in that eastern half of the state.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 12:27:20 PM »

Unfortunately they did leave out NDSU. This map is only Div. I FBS schools. I have no doubt that in reality NDSU dominates North Dakota. Funny enough, Texas is the top FBS team in that eastern half of the state.

That's what I thought, but who the heck is the brown in North Dakota?
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 08:31:14 PM »

The map of downtown SF is really interesting. It's a war of single-point margins between Cal and Stanford (as it should be of course Wink).
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 09:37:22 PM »

That's what I thought, but who the heck is the brown in North Dakota?

If you go to the NYT site you can actually see the top three by zipcode. That blob in ND is actually Texas.

The only real surprise for me is North Carolina being such an ironclad Tar Heel state. Wake Forest and Duke aren't even close to first place in their home zipcodes! The Northeast getting infected with Florida fandom by snowbirds is pretty funny.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 12:34:12 AM »

I guess that's the Aztecs by the Mexican border? Which really goes to show just how embarrassing this must be for UCLA.

Basketball would be great to see - with Indiana actually going into swing along with UCLA and maybe Duke with a national presence. I've also read a lot of Cornhuskers turn into Blue Jays for the basketball season.

UCLA's always been the number 2 school in SoCal for football...USC's a blue blood, obviously they're going to dominate the region. I'm actually pretty surprised that they're not leading in more of SoCal then they already are. With basketball, I'd guess you'd see a pretty similar map, just with USC and UCLA reversed and SDSU being a little bigger, considering their basketball program is actually pretty good.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 11:53:10 AM »
« Edited: March 09, 2016, 11:58:12 AM by Mr. Illini »

Unfortunate that Michigan registers as #1 in parts of Chicago, but not nearly as embarrassing as the Twin Cities, home to U of Minnesota, being essentially completely owned by the Wisconsin Badgers.

Looks like Michigan owns most of Manhattan Island as well.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 01:28:44 PM »

Unfortunate that Michigan registers as #1 in parts of Chicago, but not nearly as embarrassing as the Twin Cities, home to U of Minnesota, being essentially completely owned by the Wisconsin Badgers.

Looks like Michigan owns most of Manhattan Island as well.

The outright lead in lower Manhattan is interesting - I believe the only 2 FBS football teams among the top 10 actual (i.e. excluding Austin who took the #10 slot via a monopoly on in-state banking) Wall Street feeders are Michigan and BC, so the influence is understandable...and Manhattan isn't going to support a failing team from Boston. Obviously, not all fans went to Michigan, but the influence + low # of college football fans down there definitely helps. Surprised Notre Dame doesn't do better still.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 07:59:59 PM »

Always impressed by Wisconsin's spread into Illinois, Michigan, and especially Minnesota. Suck it Golden Rodents.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2016, 08:38:25 PM »

Always impressed by Wisconsin's spread into Illinois, Michigan, and especially Minnesota. Suck it Golden Rodents.

As opposed to the red ones.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2016, 09:02:04 PM »

I love this map, and I've created several close-up/full-color versions on my computer using paint.  However, it obviously has some glaring errors.  It is based on Facebook likes, so teams that are winning are going to be over-represented.  I mean, Illinois probably literally flipped a few zip codes in Chicagoland just since the Lovie Smith hire, and they're likely to flip more (whereas Notre Dame fans have usually had a good football program, to the point that they'd take the time to like the Facebook account).

I mean, I can tell you for a fact that Illinois fans outnumber Wisconsin fans in Rockford, and I can tell you for an ABSOLUTE fact that Minnesota fans outnumber Wisconsin fans in MINNEAPOLIS (I mean the student population alone makes that the case, for Christ's sake).  Wisconsin is "ahead" in those areas because the "home teams" have been absolutely lousy (leading to fan apathy) lately, and UW is likely the second most popular team in both cities.
gespb19
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2016, 11:54:47 PM »

Well, at least we (USM) have a lead in Hattiesburg zip codes, thank god.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies