Fundamentalist nuts to boycott Ford
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:26:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Fundamentalist nuts to boycott Ford
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Fundamentalist nuts to boycott Ford  (Read 3098 times)
Hitchabrut
republicanjew18

Political Matrix
E: 8.38, S: 7.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2005, 02:05:58 PM »

OK, next car will be a Honda.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2005, 02:09:33 PM »

Anti-Gay Activist Group Initiates Ford Boycott

Date Posted 06-01-2005

TUPELO, Miss. — Ford Motor Company's efforts to attract affluent gay buyers by linking donations to gay rights groups with purchases of its vehicles has drawn the ire of an anti-gay organization.

The Tupelo-based conservative Christian group American Family Association is urging a boycott of Ford products. It says 75,446 people had signed a pledge supporting the boycott as of Wednesday.

A statement on the group's Web site, www.BoycottFord.com, accused Ford of extensive promotion of homosexuality.

tupelo's an interesting place.  one of the first touristy places we visited last august was Elvis' Birthplace, in tupelo.  There's a groovy little chapel where you can put on an elvis robe and take pictures of yourself at the pulpit of the pseudo-christian Elvis-worship house.  The main draw, of course, is the house built by elvis' father, a carpenter (just like Jesus' adoptive father, Joseph).  Two rooms.  And a porch swing that works.  And  the 1937 Chrysler, Mexi-green, in mint condition, that Elvis' father drove them from Tupelo to Memphis in when Elvis was a boy.  And a very handsome statue of Elvis at 14, replete with guitar and overalls, that was done by a German Elvis worshipper.  And, of course, the obligatory gift shop, where, for $3.50 you can buy an 8 ounce bottle of evian water.  For 19 dollars, you can buy a small piece of elvis' 1974 concert cape.  I read somewhere that if you add the masses of all the elvis capes you come up with a mass 500 times greater than the actual mass of the cape.  This is what we Elvisophiles call a Miracle.  Not unlike the miracle of the middle ages, when pieces of Jesus' original cross were sold to pilgrims and the estimated total mass of those splinters was thousands of times greater than the mass of the original cross.  Hey, this is a fine place to post the Elvis-Jesus similarities!  The similarities between Jesus Christ and Elvis Presley are almost uncanny. Just check the following parallels for yourself!

Jesus said "Love thy neighbor." Elvis said "Don't be cruel."
Jesus is the Lord's shepherd. Elvis dated Cybill Shepherd.
Jesus was part of the Trinity. Elvis' first band was a trio.
Jesus walked on water. Elvis surfed (Blue Hawaii, 1965).
Jesus' entourage, the Apostles, had 12 members. Elvis' entourage, the Memphis Mafia, had 12 members.
Jesus was resurrected. Elvis had the famous 1968 "Comeback" TV special and many posthumous mall sightings.
Jesus said "If a man thirst, let him come to me, and drink." (John 7:37). Elvis said "Drinks on me" (Jail House Rock, 1957).
Jesus fasted for 40 days and nights. Elvis also had irregular eating habits (eg, 5 banana split breakfast).
Jesus is a Capricorn (Dec 25). Elvis is a Capricorn (Jan8).
Matthew was a biographer of Jesus. Neil Matthews was a biographer of Elvis (A Golden Tribute).
"Jesus countenance...like lightning...raiment snow white." (Matthew 28:3) Elvis wore snow white jumpsuits with lightning bolts.
Jesus lived in a state of grace in a near-eastern land. Elvis lived in Graceland in a nearly eastern state.
Jesus' mother Mary had an immaculate conception. Elvis' wife Priscilla went to Immaculate Conception H.S.
People called Jesus a "...glutton and a drunk." (Luke 7:34) People called Elvis "...an overweight druggie...".
Jesus died for us. Young girls would 'die for' Elvis.
Jesus was born in humble surroundings. Elvis was born in Mississippi.
Even today Jesus has a cult following. Even today Elvis has a cult following.
Jesus was called "King of Israel.." (John 12:13) Elvis was called "King of Rock n' Roll".

Was Elvis the 20th-century re-incarnation of Jesus?  Only you can decide for yourself.....
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2005, 02:10:11 PM »

Ah, the 'Talibangelicals' are at it again. Business is business and a gay's money is just as good as everybody elses

You're an idiot. People voluntarily deciding not to buy something is not 'Talibangelical,' and you can quit using that gay term now.

No, but people willing to go to such lengths to control how other people choose to live their lives, to no detriment to anyone else is rather extreme, and un-libertarian, I might add, and it's surprising that it doesn't bother you.

No, it is not un-libertarian to boycott something for any reason at all.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2005, 02:32:07 PM »

On these types of questions, I always ask myself, "What would Elvis do?"

Elvis was fond of the great american motorcar, especially those from the heydey of environmental irresponsibility, and he was fond of most everything else that was fast.  Fast women, fast cars, and fast-acting mood-altering substances.  He was also fond of honoring the fallen dead.  I learned, while in Hawaii, for example, that it was Elvis Presley who raised the money for a memorial for the USS Arizona.  But mostly he loved his Mama.  What a good boy Elvis was.  I cannot imagine that Tupelo's Famous Son would want to boycot a great American company like Ford.  I think he would turn to the American Family Association and say something like this:

"When they said you was high classed,
well, that was just a lie.
When they said you was high classed,
well, that was just a lie.
You ain't never caught a rabbit
and you ain't no friend of mine."
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2005, 03:33:58 PM »

Jesus was not born Dec. 25
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2005, 03:49:10 PM »

Ah, the 'Talibangelicals' are at it again. Business is business and a gay's money is just as good as everybody elses

You're an idiot. People voluntarily deciding not to buy something is not 'Talibangelical,' and you can quit using that gay term now.

No, but people willing to go to such lengths to control how other people choose to live their lives, to no detriment to anyone else is rather extreme, and un-libertarian, I might add, and it's surprising that it doesn't bother you.

Libertarians often use boycotts (a simple exercise of choice in a free market) as a hypothetical solution to criticism of their policies.

Example:

Libertarian: Businesses should be able to hire or not hire anyone they want.
Critic: So a business owner should be allowed to not hire Blacks because he is a racist?
Libertarian: Sure, but he will have to live with the fact that most people would refuse to do business with him (a boycott).
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2005, 03:51:04 PM »

Libertarians often use boycotts (a simple exercise of choice in a free market) as a hypothetical solution to criticism of their policies.

Example:

Critic: So a business owner should be allowed to not hire Blacks because he is a racist?
Libertarian: Sure, but he will have to live with the fact that most people would refuse to do business with him (a boycott).

I never mentioned the word boycott in that post, so I don't see why this matters.
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2005, 04:09:58 PM »

Example:

I never mentioned the word boycott in that post, so I don't see why this matters.
What type of control were you refering to, if not a boycott?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2005, 04:47:30 PM »

and elvis was not born on Jan. 8

(shhhh.  don't tell anyone else!)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2005, 06:33:54 PM »

Or better yet, do as I do - buy things there, but always return them before the 90 return limit is up.  You get free stuff, and you hurt Wal-Mart!

You must be logged in to read this quote.
I already boycott Ford.  And GM.  You won't find me buying any American car unless it is the Corvette or something over $100,000.  The cheaper cars are complete and utter junk that seems to break once a week.
You must be logged in to read this quote.

You are quite correct about modern (say post 1995) American cars, despite your silly car-snobbery!  Though the older ones were much better, particularly the 'full-size' cars.  By the way, what American car costs over $100,000?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2005, 06:35:03 PM »

You are quite correct about modern (say post 1995) American cars, despite your silly car-snobbery!  Though the older ones were much better, particularly the 'full-size' cars.  By the way, what American car costs over $100,000?

Arnold's hummers do. Maybe he'll stop driving them now that he suddenly realized that global warming is a big problem. Yeah right.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2005, 06:37:38 PM »

Arnold's hummers do. Maybe he'll stop driving them now that he suddenly realized that global warming is a big problem. Yeah right.

Oh, I completely forgot about those idiotic things!   I see those once in a while here - how laughable they are. 
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies