Chris Murphy is the best Dem VP choice
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 03:42:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Chris Murphy is the best Dem VP choice
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Chris Murphy is the best Dem VP choice  (Read 1286 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 09, 2016, 11:45:20 AM »

I'm now totally convinced. He's a very underrated campaigner. Beat a two decade long Republican by 14 points in a district George W. Bush almost carried. And if you say "WAVE YEAR" remember 2006 also saw Rob Simmons losing by just a hair, Chris Shays winning and Joe Lieberman winning as the de facto Republican candidate.

He's also pretty progressive and will help placate the Sanders people and Connecticut has a Dem Governor so no fear of his seat. Can't see a downside.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 11:46:48 AM »

YES!
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 11:51:23 AM »

I think you give him too much credit for his electoral victories. 'A district Bush almost won' lends the reader to think that NW CT is some major battleground...when its really not.

The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 11:52:31 AM »

Also, no one outside of Connecticut has ever heard of him before.

Hell, I would be a majority of people in this state dont know who our 2 senators our. They're not that outspoken relative to some of the other delegations.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 06:30:57 PM »

A report from USA Today says that Murphy (D-Conn.) is on the VP list. He's young, handsome, and could  be a star by now and 2024. He would be good. Plus, if he's elected Vice President, Connecticut Gov. Malloy, a Democrat, could name a replacement that would be a Democrat.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2016/05/15/hillary-clinton-running-mate-democrat-vice-president/84288814/

This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 06:32:29 PM »

Don't forget that he'll lock down Connecticut State, which could be the swing state.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 06:34:27 PM »

Didn't he struggle against Linda McMahon in 2012 because of some personal finance problems? That race should've been a walk in a presidential year. Blumenthal did better against the same opponent in 2010 after all.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 06:44:28 PM »

Didn't he struggle against Linda McMahon in 2012 because of some personal finance problems? That race should've been a walk in a presidential year. Blumenthal did better against the same opponent in 2010 after all.

She spent $50 million to his $10 million (about the same as in 2010), and Murphy only did 0.2% worse than Blumenthal. Also, McMahon had wide name recognition (not necessarily good though to be fair) from running two years earlier while Murphy was still pretty unknown. I'm not sure if the CT electorate changes all that much between midterm and presidential turnouts since these results seem pretty static. I worked for Blumenthal and Murphy so I might be a bit biased here.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 06:45:44 PM »

Don't forget that he'll lock down Connecticut State, which could be the swing state.

It's not that. Murphy brings youth and some progressive credentials. He has some foreign policy experience as well.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 06:50:27 PM »

She spent $50 million to his $10 million (about the same as in 2010), and Murphy only did 0.2% worse than Blumenthal. Also, McMahon had wide name recognition (not necessarily good though to be fair) from running two years earlier while Murphy was still pretty unknown. I'm not sure if the CT electorate changes all that much between midterm and presidential turnouts since these results seem pretty static. I worked for Blumenthal and Murphy so I might be a bit biased here.

He actually trailed her in September. It looks a lot like Obama had to drag him over the finish line:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/senate/ct/connecticut_senate_mcmahon_vs_murphy-2111.html

What exactly were his personal finance problems, and would they be relevant in 2016? He seems like a decent pick on paper, but the last thing Hillary needs is the media spamming more faux scandals.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2016, 06:54:46 PM »

Normally I'd say boring, but boring might be an upside this year. Plus he seems competent, which isn't necessarily the case for some of the other candidates in the boring category.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2016, 07:04:14 PM »

Normally I'd say boring, but boring might be an upside this year. Plus he seems competent, which isn't necessarily the case for some of the other candidates in the boring category.

Exactly. Boring would be nice. If not, go with someone with energy. But I love boring.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2016, 07:15:35 PM »

He actually trailed her in September. It looks a lot like Obama had to drag him over the finish line:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/senate/ct/connecticut_senate_mcmahon_vs_murphy-2111.html

What exactly were his personal finance problems, and would they be relevant in 2016? He seems like a decent pick on paper, but the last thing Hillary needs is the media spamming more faux scandals.

I doubt any of his problems would come up in 2016 as they would pale in comparison to Trump's, but they basically involved alleged special interest loans for his mortgage in exchange for his favorable votes in Congress. Nothing improper about these loans was ever found, so it wouldn't be a big deal.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2016, 07:45:40 PM »

He'd be a good pick, certainly.

Where did this meme come from again?
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2016, 07:57:00 PM »

StatesPoll. He was like OC, but a Trump supporter.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2016, 09:41:30 PM »

He was just trying to make sure people correctly differentiated between Connecticut State and Connecticut City.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2016, 09:45:37 PM »

I vaguely remember that person.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2016, 10:05:16 PM »

He seems boring, looks old, and needs better hair (maybe some quality plugs?). That hairline is uncanny valley territory. Next.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2016, 10:09:23 PM »

He seems boring, looks old, and needs better hair (maybe some quality plugs?). That hairline is uncanny valley territory. Next.

I think hair is overreacted as a factor with the rise of Trump and Bernie. Everything is different now...
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2016, 10:11:47 PM »

I vaguely remember that person.

He introduced the practice of writing Trump's name in all caps and bold. "The only way to properly write Trump's name", said StatesPoll.
Krago
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2016, 10:18:16 PM »

He was just trying to make sure people correctly differentiated between Connecticut State and Connecticut City.

I thought the big rivalry was between Connecticut City and Connecticut United. 
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2016, 10:31:21 PM »

Impressive credentials, but he's not Hispanic.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2016, 10:31:56 PM »

> not Sheldon Whitehouse
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2016, 11:24:12 PM »

Whitehouse for the White House Naval Observatory!
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2016, 12:38:20 AM »

Impressive credentials, but he's not Hispanic.
Neither is any other rising star of the Democrats.

And having Trump as the GOP nominee does more to help Hillary with Hispanics than any running mate.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies