Clinton Praises Nancy Reagan on AIDS, Apologizes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:52:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton Praises Nancy Reagan on AIDS, Apologizes
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Clinton Praises Nancy Reagan on AIDS, Apologizes  (Read 2441 times)
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 11, 2016, 06:02:27 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/03/11/hillary-clinton-apologizes-for-praising-nancy-reagans-response-to-hivaids/?tid=sm_fb

Many of my LGBT friends, who are also Clinton supporters, have called her out for this on Facebook (anecdotal I know but just something I've noticed).
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 06:20:26 PM »

Umm, what?

http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2016/03/hillary-clinton-sparks-outrage-by-championing-nancy-reagans-low-key-aids-activism/
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 06:24:10 PM »

An absurd gaffe she fully deserved to be called out for, and to her credit quickly apologized for. Can imagine why many were upset
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 06:24:39 PM »

Just straight up apologize. The excuse of "I was thinking of Alzheimers" is so lame. No you weren't, you were just making a BS puff statement and you didn't think anyone would pay that close of attention.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 06:30:26 PM »

If an apology was issued, what was the problem? I feel that this outrage is more about other things.
Angel of Death
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 06:31:02 PM »

Give her a break. She was dodging snipers in Bosnia at the time.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 06:32:19 PM »

An absurd gaffe she fully deserved to be called out for, and to her credit quickly apologized for. Can imagine why many were upset
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 06:34:11 PM »

cory, aren't you the guy who thinks people with hiv should kill themselves?
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2016, 06:39:18 PM »

cory, aren't you the guy who thinks people with hiv should kill themselves?

No, that was a troll statement that got taken wayyyyy to seriously.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2016, 06:57:48 PM »

She has to appeal to her leftist base. The AIDS issue affected most of the Left's issues.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2016, 07:50:36 PM »

People have extremely thin skin to get upset at something like this. If they are still upset even after she apologized they are just flat out pathetic.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2016, 08:10:42 PM »

People have extremely thin skin to get upset at something like this. If they are still upset even after she apologized they are just flat out pathetic.

Are you serious?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2016, 09:27:56 PM »

Lol. How dare she say something nice about someone at their funeral! She should drop out. This is almost as bad as that time Trent Lott said something nice about someone at their 100th Birthday celebration and had to resign. Seriously, the public reads way too much into general courtesy.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2016, 10:03:49 PM »

Lol. How dare she say something nice about someone at their funeral! She should drop out. This is almost as bad as that time Trent Lott said something nice about someone at their 100th Birthday celebration and had to resign. Seriously, the public reads way too much into general courtesy.

You're missing the point entirely.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2016, 10:21:13 PM »

They were anti-gay marriage specifically concerning HIV & all these issues. I mean most were back then but Reagan hit them hard. I can see why she retracted!
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2016, 10:23:40 PM »

She should have just skipped the damn funeral. Nancy Reagan was [certain choice words that would be inappropriate for a moderator] anyway.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2016, 10:33:40 PM »

I'm very interested in Holmes' and other gay Hillbots takes on this news story.
Mallow
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2016, 11:17:04 PM »

Not a "Hillbot" here, but obviously it was a bad misstatement. Some of the people responding in this thread like "what's the big deal?" clearly don't get it--it's a huge deal. But it is good that she recognized that she had made an error and quickly retracted/"apologized". I'll of course still support her in the GE.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2016, 11:19:52 PM »

She was obviously struggling to find something nice to say about Nancy Reagan and said HIV/AIDS instead of Alzheimer's, which I am sure she meant. Just a stupid gaffe, which we actually haven't had that many of this cycle. Of course, this is being completely overshadowed by the disturbances in Chicago, so I doubt it will hurt her much. - Gay man who voted for Hillary Clinton
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2016, 11:21:40 PM »

Likewise we have Gay people coming in the forum inspired to campaign for Bernie due to this comment. Different people react differently.

Personally I don't see this as a big deal, she made an error and apologized, who cares!
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2016, 12:08:15 AM »

Likewise we have Gay people coming in the forum inspired to campaign for Bernie due to this comment. Different people react differently.

Personally I don't see this as a big deal, she made an error and apologized, who cares!

It's not good enough to go on about a point for 30 seconds to earn some general election points, and then say you misspoke because you dun f'd up due to ignorance on the history of AIDS in the US. I would expect the so called champion of gay rights to be knowledgeable on such a disgusting treatment of gay Americans during the 1980s.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2016, 12:11:30 AM »

Bloody stupid thing to say. The only good thing is that she apologised.

It's not a deal-breaker for me, and I know she's tired etc. But she didn't need to say anything.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2016, 12:15:04 AM »

Clinton is very lucky that this was overshadowed by those FOOLS protesting in TRUMP'S TURF.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2016, 12:42:04 AM »

It's not good enough to go on about a point for 30 seconds to earn some general election points, and then say you misspoke because you dun f'd up due to ignorance on the history of AIDS in the US. I would expect the so called champion of gay rights to be knowledgeable on such a disgusting treatment of gay Americans during the 1980s.

Look I know Clinton was against gay marriage all her life till 2010 or 13 - while Bernie was fighting for gay rights for 30-40 years before it was cool - So this honestly doesn't surprise me. I have called her a phony for pretending to be a champion for LGBT people.

Anyways in the end, she made a mistake, I would love it LGBT people take notice & vote against her - I anyways don't like her - But I am giving her a pass considering all this election madness & that she apologized!
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2016, 02:07:21 AM »

The Clinton's were fighting for gay rights in the 1990's at least, they just didn't publically come around to supporting gay marriage until soon after Obama did.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies