Bono vs. Atlasia 2.0
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 06:52:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Bono vs. Atlasia 2.0
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Bono vs. Atlasia 2.0  (Read 6974 times)
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2005, 03:33:06 PM »

There are two solid economic conservatives on this supreme court.  I don't know how the hell that ever happened, but if this passes I may be brought back into the action of fantasy politics again.  I was debating whether to run for a second Senate term; if the supreme court agrees with Bono then the Senate and I will be forced to take action.  I'll move to increase the size of the supreme court.  I'll join with other economic progressives to fillibuster every bill until it is passed.  I'll bring this movement down.  I'll bring the government to a standstill if I have to.

Your perception of your own importance is facinating.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2005, 04:58:50 PM »

There are two solid economic conservatives on this supreme court.  I don't know how the hell that ever happened, but if this passes I may be brought back into the action of fantasy politics again.  I was debating whether to run for a second Senate term; if the supreme court agrees with Bono then the Senate and I will be forced to take action.  I'll move to increase the size of the supreme court.  I'll join with other economic progressives to fillibuster every bill until it is passed.  I'll bring this movement down.  I'll bring the government to a standstill if I have to.

Your perception of your own importance is facinating.
I am not a megalomaniac.  I simply believe heavily in my cause.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2005, 05:01:33 PM »

Whatever happened to judicial independence? Shouldn't the Justices rule on the merits of the case, instead of succumbing to political pressure from either side?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2005, 05:04:49 PM »

Well I for one don't really consider any of the current Supreme Court Justices to be "solid economic conservatives" (I don't even know which ones he was referring to).  Furthermore, I think the current Justices are possibly the best ones to currently hold their positions, and I trust them all not to base their rulings on silly partisan politics. 
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2005, 05:08:35 PM »

Well I for one don't really consider any of the current Supreme Court Justices to be "solid economic conservatives" (I don't even know which ones he was referring to).  Furthermore, I think the current Justices are possibly the best ones to currently hold their positions, and I trust them all not to base their rulings on silly partisan politics. 

Well if the election comes down to the Courts, you know whose a gonna win! Wink (kidding)
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2005, 05:42:39 PM »

KEmperor and JFK?  Ernest even leans slightly leans conservative, although I'm sure he will rule against Bono.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2005, 06:00:54 PM »

KEmperor and JFK?  Ernest even leans slightly leans conservative, although I'm sure he will rule against Bono.

You really think that influences us in any way? Just because I may believe in a certain policy, doesn't make it constitutional and as my job is to decide on the constitutionality of something, not on whether I like it or not, my own view of a particular policy is irrelevant.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2005, 06:02:38 PM »

You really think that influences us in any way? Just because I may believe in a certain policy, doesn't make it constitutional and as my job is to decide on the constitutionality of something, not on whether I like it or not, my own view of a particular policy is irrelevant.

Indeed.  Witness my ruling in the gay marriage dispute.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2005, 06:11:13 PM »

What about the ruling on Supersoulty's unwed mother protection act?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2005, 06:13:21 PM »

I have confidence in the court to make a reasonable and just ruling, even though they are a bunch of "Looneys".  Tongue
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2005, 06:19:15 PM »

That ruling was clearly in line with the constitution.  I wonder if you have read it.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2005, 06:36:41 PM »

Ok, so:

Title 16 is Conservation laws.
Title 29 is the Labor Dept and Labor laws.
Title 42 Chapters 8, 8A, and 45 are Low Income Housing and Slum Clearance.  Chapter 34 is Economic Assistance Programs for the poor.  Chapter 119 is Homeless Assistance.

Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2005, 06:38:25 PM »

Ok, so:

Title 42 Chapters 8, 8A, and 45 are Low Income Housing and Slum Clearance.  Chapter 34 is Economic Assistance Programs for the poor.  Chapter 119 is Homeless Assistance.

The real question is, are you going to make Bono justify why every subsection in each of  those Titles is unconstitutional? That would make for a *long* suit.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2005, 06:40:20 PM »

Ok, so:

If by some chance those actually do turn out to be un-Constitutional, I'm going to file a Constitutional amendment, as those really should be, in my view.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2005, 09:57:59 PM »

Can I get a link to the constitution?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2005, 10:03:13 PM »

Here ya go. Smiley
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2005, 04:55:55 AM »

Ok, so:

If by some chance those actually do turn out to be un-Constitutional, I'm going to file a Constitutional amendment, as those really should be, in my view.
If I drop the challange of the ones from title 42, will you drop that?
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2005, 10:12:53 AM »

That ruling was clearly in line with the constitution.  I wonder if you have read it.
I have read it.  I think if you voted it down out of the reasons you stated then by definition medicare, medicaid, and social security should really all be voted down as well.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2005, 10:20:33 AM »

I have read it.  I think if you voted it down out of the reasons you stated then by definition medicare, medicaid, and social security should really all be voted down as well.

Well they can't be voted down unless somebody introduces a bill to the Senate stating that Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security are now null and void. If somebody wants to take it up with the courts that's a different matter. But even if Federal Assistance Programs like those were found to be unconstitutional their are still regional programs in existance that would probably take over for them.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2005, 10:21:14 AM »

That is up to the Senate, they have the legislative right "To provide for systems of Insurance and Annuity for Unemployment, Disability, and Retirement." as Article I Section Five Clause 17 of the Constitution states. Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid are all clearly within the boundaries of the Senate's legislative power meaning it can abolish them if it wishes, but as far as I can see we cannot strike down such laws as the seem to be perfectly constitutional from my perspective.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2005, 10:50:31 AM »

That is up to the Senate, they have the legislative right "To provide for systems of Insurance and Annuity for Unemployment, Disability, and Retirement." as Article I Section Five Clause 17 of the Constitution states. Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid are all clearly within the boundaries of the Senate's legislative power meaning it can abolish them if it wishes, but as far as I can see we cannot strike down such laws as the seem to be perfectly constitutional from my perspective.

I have my doubts that Medicaid falls unto that, but you're absolutely right about SS and medicare.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2005, 11:48:00 AM »
« Edited: June 04, 2005, 11:50:18 AM by AFCJ KEmperor »

So you DIDNT read the decision.  Thanks for clearing that up.  I quote from the decision that I wrote:

"Clause 17 says “to provide for systems of Insurance and Annuity for Unemployment, Disability, and Retirement.” We find that this clause is clearly intended to apply to Unemployment benefits, Disability benefits, and retirement programs such as Social Security. We do not view pregnancy and childbirth as a disability."
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2005, 11:59:05 AM »

So you DIDNT read the decision.  Thanks for clearing that up.  I quote from the decision that I wrote:

"Clause 17 says “to provide for systems of Insurance and Annuity for Unemployment, Disability, and Retirement.” We find that this clause is clearly intended to apply to Unemployment benefits, Disability benefits, and retirement programs such as Social Security. We do not view pregnancy and childbirth as a disability."

That's the same kind of demagoguery they were doing at the time.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2005, 01:13:11 PM »

bump
when can we have this
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2005, 01:14:22 PM »

Later this week, once the election stuff dies down a little.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies