2016 Congressional Primaries
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 08:04:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2016 Congressional Primaries
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49
Author Topic: 2016 Congressional Primaries  (Read 72415 times)
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1100 on: September 08, 2016, 09:44:28 PM »

Looks like Alliegro is going to be the one to lose to Keating this year. The district (I think) is trending R, so I suppose he could use the opportunity to build up name recognition and campaign practice for a future run.
That district is D+5, making it the second least Democratic in the state behind the D+4 MA-06, but this one is probably going to be the one with better chances for Republicans. Richard Tisei, who I think is a great fit for MA-06, lost badly in the Republican wave of 2014, and it was an open seat, and his close political ally Charlie Baker won the district in his governor race (yes, I know governor races are not federal, but still).
Tisei probably should have agreed to be Lieutenant Governor, or at least the nominee again. He and Baker came impressively close in 2010.
From what I looked up, Moulton was the underdog until around August, when the primary became a tossup. Tisei would have been favored to win against Tierney (and should have won in 2012, but a damn Libertarian spoiler, ugh), but the race between him and Moulton was close in polls, but he lost by more than polling suggested. If Moulton vacates the seat to run statewide, does Tisei try again? He is probably the best Republican for that district, and Moulton seems like an especially strong candidate.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1101 on: September 08, 2016, 11:06:10 PM »

Looks like Alliegro is going to be the one to lose to Keating this year. The district (I think) is trending R, so I suppose he could use the opportunity to build up name recognition and campaign practice for a future run.
That district is D+5, making it the second least Democratic in the state behind the D+4 MA-06, but this one is probably going to be the one with better chances for Republicans. Richard Tisei, who I think is a great fit for MA-06, lost badly in the Republican wave of 2014, and it was an open seat, and his close political ally Charlie Baker won the district in his governor race (yes, I know governor races are not federal, but still).
Tisei probably should have agreed to be Lieutenant Governor, or at least the nominee again. He and Baker came impressively close in 2010.
From what I looked up, Moulton was the underdog until around August, when the primary became a tossup. Tisei would have been favored to win against Tierney (and should have won in 2012, but a damn Libertarian spoiler, ugh), but the race between him and Moulton was close in polls, but he lost by more than polling suggested. If Moulton vacates the seat to run statewide, does Tisei try again? He is probably the best Republican for that district, and Moulton seems like an especially strong candidate.

I'm thinking Warren might become Secretary of the Treasury, or possibly even retire in 2018. She'll be turning 69 that year, and I can't see her staying in the Senate until she's seventy-five. If she resigns to join Clinton's cabinet or retires, Moulton probably runs for her seat as Tisei runs for Moulton's. If not, Moulton could ask have an interest in becoming Transportation Secretary or Secretary of the Navy.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1102 on: September 09, 2016, 05:04:07 AM »

AFAIK, Alliegro is a far right tea-party man, so i doubt he will be win many elections in Massachusetts. Republicans can win MA-09 under very good environment, but not such Republicans as he is....
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1103 on: September 09, 2016, 07:01:42 AM »

AFAIK, Alliegro is a far right tea-party man, so i doubt he will be win many elections in Massachusetts. Republicans can win MA-09 under very good environment, but not such Republicans as he is....

Ah, OK. I knew nothing about him.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #1104 on: September 09, 2016, 10:16:29 AM »

In that case he's clearly not the type who could win. Gabriel Gomez would be a strong nominee when this seat opens, though.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1105 on: September 09, 2016, 10:46:22 AM »

In that case he's clearly not the type who could win. Gabriel Gomez would be a strong nominee when this seat opens, though.

He doesn't quite live in the district, but I suppose he could carpetbag, or there's always the chance it could be redistricted to include his town.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #1106 on: September 11, 2016, 11:09:06 PM »

In the still-undecided AZ-5 R primary, Biggs's lead increased from 9 votes to 16 votes after a court ordered counting of some previously rejected ballots.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/jones-still-losing-to-biggs-in-arizona-cd5-race-but-case-exposes-serious-voting-flaw-8626812

There will still be a recount sometime this week.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1107 on: September 13, 2016, 01:38:08 AM »

Maricopa County:

Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1108 on: September 13, 2016, 02:18:16 PM »

Welcome to the primary season semi-finale! Today's elections are in Rhode Island, Delaware and New Hampshire. Some NH polls close at 7 ET, all other polls close at 8 ET.

Contested races are NH-1 R, NH-2 R, NH Senate R, NH Gov D & R, DE-AL D, DE GOV R, RI-1 D, and RI-2 D.

Results Pages:

http://www.politico.com/2016-election/results/new-hampshire
http://www.politico.com/2016-election/results/delaware
http://www.politico.com/2016-election/results/rhode-island

(There are also some non-congressional races in NY today, there is a thread for those on the gubernatorial/statewide board. Please discuss those races there and not here.)

(I say semi-finale for a couple of reasons. 1) There will be a re-do of the NY-3 R primary on October 6 due to a ballot error when the primary was originally held back in June, and 2) Louisiana's jungle primary is on the general election day in November.)
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1109 on: September 13, 2016, 02:19:50 PM »

A winner in the AZ-5 R primary will be declared on Friday: http://www.nonpareilonline.com/news/political_news/wire/arizona-judge-orders-recount-in-close-gop-congressional-race/article_d57d5382-1c05-5c7a-9738-0d5348498766.html
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1110 on: September 13, 2016, 02:38:39 PM »

^ Not seeing anything. My guess is we'll get that right away at 7 ET.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #1111 on: September 13, 2016, 06:09:48 PM »

My endorsements (lol):

NH-01: Anyone but Guinta, though it will be hilarious to see Guinta getting Blanched in November
NH-02: Jack Flanagan
Senate: Jim Rubens
Governor: Ted Gatsas

Will you ironically support Shea-Porter if Guinta wins the primary?
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1112 on: September 13, 2016, 06:19:55 PM »

My endorsements (lol):

NH-01: Anyone but Guinta, though it will be hilarious to see Guinta getting Blanched in November

Will you ironically support Shea-Porter if Guinta wins the primary?

Yes, but I wouldn't call it 'ironic' support. I want to see him get crushed. Smiley

Well, I'm pretty sure you'll get your wish Tongue
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1113 on: September 13, 2016, 06:30:54 PM »

T. Gatsas   49.0%   476
F. Edelblut   21.5%   209
C. Sununu   17.0%   165
J. Forrester 10.5%   102
J. Lavoie      2.0%   19

Interesting...
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1114 on: September 13, 2016, 06:35:57 PM »

5.3% Reporting
R. Ashooh   49.8%   1,533
F. Guinta (i) 44.8%   1,381

This could be close.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1115 on: September 13, 2016, 06:36:19 PM »

Ashooh, Rich   GOP   882   51%
Guinta, Frank (i)   GOP   760   44%

Is it happening? Cheesy

Rick Ashooh (bless you)
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1116 on: September 13, 2016, 06:37:12 PM »

Sununu and Guinta losing? Seems a bit tough to believe, but I guess these are early results.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1117 on: September 13, 2016, 06:39:01 PM »

Sununu and Guinta losing? Seems a bit tough to believe, but I guess these are early results.

I thought Guinta was expected to lose.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1118 on: September 13, 2016, 06:39:52 PM »

Ashooh still up 50-45 with 5% in.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1119 on: September 13, 2016, 06:44:06 PM »

Ruh-oh, looks like Guinta's closing the gap. Gatsas is still in the lead in the gubernatorial race, but it's tightened a bit. If Sununu actually gets third, that would be pathetic.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #1120 on: September 13, 2016, 06:45:45 PM »

My endorsements (lol):

Great minds think alike. While I don't like Guinta, I kind of want to see him Blanched, he's the only Republican I'd like to see that happen to (obviously). If NH-02 was a competitive race, I would endorse Flanagan, let's just say he's the "least weak" candidate. For the Senate, I would love to see Rubens pull of the upset, he's even more unelectable and Republicans would probably triage this race (they would triage it anyway, but they won't let go of Ayotte, ugh). Sununu is a better governor candidate but I like Gatsas's policies better.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #1121 on: September 13, 2016, 06:47:01 PM »

He was originally, but in the end Ashooh emerged as the only challenger, he is an underdog in the primary but it doesn't matter since the primary is effectively a right-to-lose race.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1122 on: September 13, 2016, 06:52:34 PM »

Van Ostern is starting to run away with the Democratic primary, while the Republican side has tightened. Sununu might not be done just yet.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1123 on: September 13, 2016, 06:52:59 PM »

He was originally, but in the end Ashooh emerged as the only challenger, he is an underdog in the primary but it doesn't matter since the primary is effectively a right-to-lose race.

Thanks.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1124 on: September 13, 2016, 07:03:51 PM »

Anytime I see Gatsas talk about the heroine crisis, he's just like "Punishments! More Punishments!  Lock'em up!"

I guess that strategy is working for him.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies