2016 Congressional Primaries (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:37:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2016 Congressional Primaries (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2016 Congressional Primaries  (Read 71293 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« on: April 26, 2016, 09:10:14 PM »

So Chris Matthews wife, Trone (the ultimate record holder for personal spending in a race), and some other guy are locked in a fairly tight race. Should be interesting.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 07:16:48 PM »

I'm no fan of backbencher Congressman Old White Guy, but Scott "YEAHZ I KILLED A MUSLIM IN IRAQ!" Taylor is one of the biggest d-bags I've heard speak.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 07:19:53 PM »

Sanford is among my favorite Congresspeople, but his opponent is not a huge downgrade. She was the State Senator who gave that incredible speech on the Rebel flag, right? If so, I'd be fine with her. She certainly is a better personthan Sanford.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 09:25:46 PM »

Sanford is among my favorite Congresspeople, but his opponent is not a huge downgrade. She was the State Senator who gave that incredible speech on the Rebel flag, right? If so, I'd be fine with her. She certainly is a better personthan Sanford.

Knowing his opponent's irrational opposition to inanimate objects only makes me more enthusiastic about Sanford's re-election.

I presume your avatar is ironic?

I am not in fact a resident of the state of Maryland.
I was actually one of the most outspoken Flaggers on here, and I'd probably wouldn't care if it stayed up in the end, but the fact that some were opposed to taking it down even after the massacre in Charleston was upsetting. If it offends such a large group of people, and doesn't play any integral part of life in South Carolina what-so-ever, why not take it down?

Plus it's not like they took it down and burnt it and then pissed on the ashes. They took it down in a ceremony that symbolized an end of an era in South Carolina. As someone who believes government should work for the people and not against them, I think it was entirely appropriate.

And of course, there are two sides to each story: Mark Sanford and his wife fell out of love. He, like John Edwards, should have done the decent thing and end the relationship before starting a new one or at least going public with it in such an obnoxious way. But Sanford still remains one of the best members of Congress and I'm glad he won.

I'm no fan of backbencher Congressman Old White Guy, but Scott "YEAHZ I KILLED A MUSLIM IN IRAQ!" Taylor is one of the biggest d-bags I've heard speak.

Honestly both are pretty horrible. Forbes is of "Let's not fund any gay candidates" fame.
Yeah, but couldn't somebody less annoying replace him?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 06:57:17 PM »

lol Pam Keith is almost beating Grayson. Keith seemed like a decent candidate for State Senate or even House, but an odd choice to run for Senate right out the gate.
That is amazing!

FL-18 is worrisome though, I hope Negron pulls through there.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 07:01:51 PM »

I don't mean to brag, but I was on point about FL-18. Damn!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 07:05:38 PM »

Pretty off on Negron's appeal to the base, but she isn't badly behind considering the fact that only 20% is in.

quote author=ChairmanSanchez link=topic=244097.msg5229625#msg5229625 date=1471920298]
Posted this in the Clawson thread. I met him a few months ago when he was thinking about running in a district on the east coast. Didn't strike me as an angry guy.
Speaking of FL-18, the district he previously considered, who do you think wins next week's crowded primary? My guess is Rebecca Negron, who has picked up endorsements from National Right to Life, Jeff Atwater, and others. She also seems to be the strongest general election candidate for the seat. Also, is Francis Rooney in FL-19 related to Tom Rooney from FL-17?
It'll either be Negron or Mast. Negron is the most likely winner. First of all, I interned for her consultant, who I won't name here (you can PM me if you want), a highly respected consultant who has a lot of success in state/local races (the whole Jeb thing didn't pan out, but that was fate) and an abundance of strong ties that have benefited Negron. The following is anecdotal of course, but I also spent a good bit of time in FL-18 over the summer and attended a lot of local GOP events. Negron isn't the favorite of the Tea Party wing, yet she is also viewed as acceptable and electable, so that combined with her establishment support should result in her winning the primary and the general itself.

Brian Mast is her only real threat from what I can tell. He has been promoted all over the various Tea Party Facebook pages in the area and has a lot of prominent support. He's competing for votes with Noelle Nikpour, who filed for the race and has since coasted on her meager amount of name recognition as a Fox personality. Nikpour has no infrastructure what so ever out there.

I'd probably hedge my bet on the following result. I won't guess the percentages.
1. Negron
2. Mast
3. Freeman
4. Domino
5. Kozell
6. Nikpour

Domino has a lot of name recognition and money, but he also is viewed as extremely past his prime. To quote one of my mentors from the area, "Carl has to take his ball and just go home. It's over." I like Domino, actually. I once had lunch with him at a GOP function when I was like 13 and he was very, very agreeable as a person but also completely bland as a candidate. His time has come and gone.

Freeman is the wildcard, as he has poured a lot of his own money into the race and I saw a lot of ads for him when I was back home (I am from the neighboring FL-22). But I think the district and the Treasure Coast/Palm Beach County area is more inclined to a Brian Mast guy with a respected war record and an inspiring life story.
[/quote]
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 08:59:10 PM »

My former employer (intern-er?) had a pretty rough night. Brilliant guy, but from Jeb! to Negron, they didn't seem to get across the finish line. Gaetz, Dunn (barely) were the two victories of the bunch that I know of. I think they might have added another one since but I forget who.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 09:17:38 PM »

My former employer (intern-er?) had a pretty rough night. Brilliant guy, but from Jeb! to Negron, they didn't seem to get across the finish line. Gaetz, Dunn (barely) were the two victories of the bunch that I know of. I think they might have added another one since but I forget who.

What do you think of Mast as a candidate? I think I remember reading that you favored Negron, but I don't know much about either candidate
Mast is very similar to Allen West-IE, all style and no substance. He's a war hero with missing legs, is a "staunch constitutional conservative" and so forth. He makes a great candidate for the votes Fox News viewers, but to the average undecided, he's mostly just another charismatic wingnut. That being said, Mast is the kind of wingnut that can still be competitive even in a swing district, his odds of winning are much lower than Negron.

Funny that Fox commentator Noelle Nikpour, who is certainly very, very well known by the same base of Fox News supporting Grandmas, only achieved 1% of the vote. She coasted on name recognition and lost hideously as Mast pretty much rallied two thirds of the Tea Party movement to his side.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 10:15:31 PM »

Just realized there will be two Rooney's in congress both from Florida.

Also kind of shocked that Grayson did so poorly overall, but won some conservaDem counties in the pandhandle. That area has had some odd behavior as of late.
Are the two Rooneys related?
I don't think so, actually. If they are, it's very distant.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies