Hillary Clinton vs. Bernie Sanders among college and university faculty
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:41:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Hillary Clinton vs. Bernie Sanders among college and university faculty
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hillary Clinton vs. Bernie Sanders among college and university faculty  (Read 662 times)
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 12, 2016, 01:20:37 PM »

Who is winning the professoriat?

And what are some "Hillary" schools and "Bernie" schools?

Deciphering from election results tells us little, so obviously there's a lot of guesswork involved.

But I'll take some guesses:  U Mass Amherst is for Bernie, Harvard is for Hillary.  Columbia and NYU are for Bernie, CUNY is for Bernie.

(I suspect U Mass Amherst, CUNY Graduate Center and Berkeley would be the "brain trust" for a Sanders administration.)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 01:32:46 PM »

These days there's staff and there's staff isn't there. With massive divergence in terms of social status and income as a result.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 01:33:42 PM »

Dartmouth NH must have been solid Hillary.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 06:30:45 AM »
« Edited: March 13, 2016, 06:37:21 AM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

I don't think that there should be much question as to the leanings of faculty members at large public universities, which rely on hordes of adjuncts to teach introductory classes; adjuncts, along with graduate students, are likely one of the strongest non-undergrad Sanders demographics in the country so it's almost certainly the case that Sanders narrowly won the faculty at lower-tier public universities.

Meanwhile, the faculty at Harvard or MIT or Dartmouth probably voted for Hillary at rates similar to African-Americans. This has little to do with ideology, of course. I don't doubt that well-paid humanities or social science professors at Harvard or Dartmouth are genuine left-liberals who are dedicated to the cause of "social justice" or whatever. The issue is that Sanders' tone is not to their liking and Hillary sounds very congenial, like she could be one of their friends.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 12:43:19 PM »

I don't think that there should be much question as to the leanings of faculty members at large public universities, which rely on hordes of adjuncts to teach introductory classes; adjuncts, along with graduate students, are likely one of the strongest non-undergrad Sanders demographics in the country so it's almost certainly the case that Sanders narrowly won the faculty at lower-tier public universities.

Meanwhile, the faculty at Harvard or MIT or Dartmouth probably voted for Hillary at rates similar to African-Americans. This has little to do with ideology, of course. I don't doubt that well-paid humanities or social science professors at Harvard or Dartmouth are genuine left-liberals who are dedicated to the cause of "social justice" or whatever. The issue is that Sanders' tone is not to their liking and Hillary sounds very congenial, like she could be one of their friends.

This is true.  Elite colleges have voted significantly more pro-Hillary than state schools have, based on results so far. 
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 12:44:01 PM »

These days there's staff and there's staff isn't there. With massive divergence in terms of social status and income as a result.

Could you clarify?  Are you talking about tenure?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies