Iowa Democratic County Convention Results- Where to find??
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:53:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Iowa Democratic County Convention Results- Where to find??
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Iowa Democratic County Convention Results- Where to find??  (Read 3895 times)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 12, 2016, 05:49:43 PM »

I saw on the Iowa Democrats website that the County Conventions time vary and the latest appears to be 7pm Cental, so I know we are unlikely to see any results until sometime after then, but does anyone know where the results wwll be avilable once they start to come in?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 06:03:19 PM »

Hearing Polk County flipped to Bernie. Clinton folks not happy about it, trying to challenge credentials.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 06:10:06 PM »

Shows the Bernie folks' complete disrespect of democracy. Reminds me of Ron Paul supporters in '12.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 06:12:27 PM »

Hearing Polk County flipped to Bernie. Clinton folks not happy about it, trying to challenge credentials.

If Polk flips, wouldn't that mean he wins the state by a good margin?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 06:14:01 PM »

Shows the Bernie folks' complete disrespect of democracy. Reminds me of Ron Paul supporters in '12.

Well, if we're going to now disregard the will of the voters, I guess this means superdelegates are perfectly fine. So it works out for her either way. Tongue
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 06:14:19 PM »

The Clinton folks definitely should challenge if that's the case. How did it flip? I thought Clinton won by a pretty good margin there.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 06:15:58 PM »

The Clinton folks definitely should challenge if that's the case. How did it flip? I thought Clinton won by a pretty good margin there.

Counties flip all the time between precinct caucuses and county conventions. It's all about who gets chosen as a delegate and then who actually shows up to the conventions.
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2016, 06:18:02 PM »

Counties flip all the time between precinct caucuses and county conventions. It's all about who gets chosen as a delegate and then who actually shows up to the conventions.

Huh. Just another reason to get rid of caucuses then.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2016, 06:23:09 PM »

Come on, a lot of Hillary supporters switched to supporting Bernie, just like 8 years ago a lot of Hillary supporters switched to supporting Obama.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2016, 06:24:23 PM »

Not sure what happened (whether the initial count was wrong or Bernie delegates left), but the final delegate count for the Polk County convention was 531 Clinton to 509 Sanders. Still haven't actually elected delegates for the next round though...

Read the timeline here: https://twitter.com/desmoinesdem
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2016, 06:25:52 PM »

Come on, a lot of Hillary supporters switched to supporting Bernie, just like 8 years ago a lot of Hillary supporters switched to supporting Obama.

A comment like that says you fundamentally have no regard for the democratic process.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2016, 06:26:14 PM »

And the Bernie Sanders campaign is publicly crying fraud after their attempts to overturn the democratic caucus result was beaten back: https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/708792355076177920

What a disgusting bunch of anti-democratic thugs these little children are.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2016, 06:27:10 PM »

A comment like that says you fundamentally have no regard for the democratic process.

If you support sequestering people for 8 hours because you don't like the vote, then you are the one with no regard for the democratic process.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2016, 06:27:15 PM »

They held three ballots I think in Polk County. First ballot was 532 Sanders, 519 Clinton.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2016, 06:28:44 PM »

So what happened between them? Did delegates change their votes?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2016, 06:29:01 PM »

If you support sequestering people for 8 hours because you don't like the vote, then you are the one with no regard for the democratic process.

I have no idea what you are talking about. The caucus system is undemocratic as it is, but overturning the result at higher level conventions removes any semblance of democracy from it.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2016, 06:30:05 PM »

I have no idea what you are talking about. The caucus system is undemocratic as it is, but overturning the result at higher level conventions removes any semblance of democracy from it.

Bernie would easily win Iowa if it voted today.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2016, 06:30:23 PM »

So what happened between them? Did delegates change their votes?

11 people left, among other things. Lots of Twitter rumors of Clinton people telling Bernie people it was over prematurely.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2016, 06:30:41 PM »

And the Bernie Sanders campaign is publicly crying fraud after their attempts to overturn the democratic caucus result was beaten back: https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/708792355076177920

What a disgusting bunch of anti-democratic thugs these little children are.

Wow, that's really disturbing. Normally I tune out all or most of the Hillary vs. Bernie stuff since it's usually trivial BS, but Bernie trying to steal an election makes me lose a lot of respect for him. Neither he nor any of his supporters that approve of or tacitly accept this no longer have any room to complain about superdelegates, and I hope they double down in their support for Hillary no matter what.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2016, 06:31:14 PM »

Who cares? That's not how democracy and elections work.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2016, 06:31:44 PM »

jfern has told us how Iowa voters would vote guys, there is no need to have an election.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2016, 06:32:30 PM »

It didn't happen only in Polk. Black Hawk county was won by Sanders but some of his delegates didn't show up at the county convention so it flipped to Clinton.
There were also cases where the delegates chosen by Sanders voters were "stealth" Hillary supporters.
It's all really a mess and just shows what a travesty for democracy the whole caucus process is.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2016, 06:32:38 PM »

Worth noting: Clinton won 53.2% of Polk County in precinct caucuses, only 51.1% in county convention. Given how close the race is, it's still possible that flips the state.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2016, 06:32:51 PM »

It's how caucuses work. Obama did much better in later rounds 8 years ago.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2016, 06:33:55 PM »

It's how caucuses work. Obama did much better in later rounds 8 years ago.

Obama won Nevada that way.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies