***CNN Townhall (Democrats) - Sunday 13th March - 8-10pm ET - Columbus Ohio***
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:24:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  ***CNN Townhall (Democrats) - Sunday 13th March - 8-10pm ET - Columbus Ohio***
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: ***CNN Townhall (Democrats) - Sunday 13th March - 8-10pm ET - Columbus Ohio***  (Read 2731 times)
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2016, 07:19:19 PM »

Bernie is slaying.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2016, 07:25:20 PM »

Wasn't Sanders saying free college for all? He seems to have changed what he was saying before.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2016, 07:27:01 PM »

Wasn't Sanders saying free college for all? He seems to have changed what he was saying before.

He's always specified that it's not simply free college in general for all, but specifically free tuition for public schools. The questions posed are always phrased as free college for all, and he has to correct it every time.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2016, 07:47:40 PM »

Take down Trump, Bernie.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2016, 07:51:39 PM »

He's always specified that it's not simply free college in general for all, but specifically free tuition for public schools. The questions posed are always phrased as free college for all, and he has to correct it every time.

Ignoring how hard it will actually be. But who cares? Aspiration!
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2016, 07:53:44 PM »

Hey, it's easy to promise everything to everyone when you haven't actually ever governed.
Just ask Tsipras.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2016, 07:54:23 PM »

I was just making a correction. Yes it will be hard, but we should know what we're talking about here.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2016, 07:57:10 PM »

I was just making a correction. Yes it will be hard, but we should know what we're talking about here.

Sorry - not having a crack at you, just irritated at how the issue is being spun.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2016, 07:58:28 PM »

The framing was different before. As I recall, he was promising free college for all and saying that it would be a cost savings, similar to single payer health care.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2016, 08:00:36 PM »

The framing was different before. As I recall, he was promising free college for all and saying that it would be a cost savings, similar to single payer health care.

If you can find an example of that my apologies, but I don't believe that is true.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2016, 08:01:00 PM »

Logistically, it's not going to be any harder for Sanders to get many of his policy goals passed than it will be for Clinton, unless her policy goals are scaling back Social Security/Medicare and handing out corporate tax breaks, of course...and even then, they'll probably just obstruct because it's reflexive for them at this point.

Why is nobody calling Clinton's ideas pie in the sky? Do people think the Congress is just going to get along with her splendidly and say "anything you want, ma'am"? Right: we don't want to admit that electing a President at this point is an act of futility for the most part.
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2016, 08:02:19 PM »

Logistically, it's not going to be any harder for Sanders to get many of his policy goals passed than it will be for Clinton, unless her policy goals are scaling back Social Security/Medicare and handing out corporate tax breaks, of course...and even then, they'll probably just obstruct because it's reflexive for them at this point.

Why is nobody calling Clinton's ideas pie in the sky? Do people think the Congress is just going to get along with her splendidly and say "anything you want, ma'am"?

I think people are saying Sanders's policies wouldn't work even if they were passed into law.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2016, 08:08:19 PM »

Why is nobody calling Clinton's ideas pie in the sky? Do people think the Congress is just going to get along with her splendidly and say "anything you want, ma'am"?

I think people are saying Sanders's policies wouldn't work even if they were passed into law.

And require a hell of lot more cooperation than just Congress.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2016, 08:11:13 PM »

If you can find an example of that my apologies, but I don't believe that is true.

He introduced a bill called the Free College for All Act. In addition, his framing in earlier debates was not the same as it was tonight.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2016, 08:12:40 PM »

I don't think we should pretend that most of the complaints about this are that nuanced. Besides, a lot of what Clinton is purportedly proposing is 80% of the way there compared to Sanders with respect to cost, complexity and logistical hurdles.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2016, 08:17:24 PM »

Excuse me, did this guy really said that his favorite Republican is Jim Inhoffe???
And we are still talking about Hillary's eulogy of Nancy Reagan?
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2016, 08:19:17 PM »

Excuse me, did this guy really said that his favorite Republican is Jim Inhoffe???

He was talking about how they get along personally, rather than his politics. Still, that's weird.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2016, 08:19:38 PM »

His snowball speech was quite entertaining.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2016, 08:20:12 PM »

He was talking about how they get along personally, rather than his politics. Still, that's weird.

Well, nice to know that Sanders gets along so much with a bigoted climate change denier.
MM876
Rookie
United States

« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2016, 08:20:53 PM »

He's fairly close with Inhofe. They're friends of sorts. That's hardly an endorsement of policy and certainly not a statement that Inhofe has been wonderful on climate change or any important issue. There's a massive difference.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2016, 08:21:52 PM »

Disgusting Hillary speaks in favor of the death penalty.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2016, 08:26:02 PM »

Sanders isn't friends with anyone liberal in the Senate? I know that ideology doesn't automatically make people friends, but it seems like he would have at least one friend that was more like minded.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2016, 08:30:36 PM »

He introduced a bill called the Free College for All Act. In addition, his framing in earlier debates was not the same as it was tonight.

The very first line in the summary description of that bill is: "Eliminate Undergraduate Tuition at 4-year Public Colleges and Universities". Again, just find one clip or quote suggesting otherwise.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2016, 08:32:13 PM »

I don't think we should pretend that most of the complaints about this are that nuanced. Besides, a lot of what Clinton is purportedly proposing is 80% of the way there compared to Sanders with respect to cost, complexity and logistical hurdles.

I'm only talking about my own views - not bothering to defend anyone else's
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2016, 08:34:44 PM »

The very first line in the summary description of that bill is: "Eliminate Undergraduate Tuition at 4-year Public Colleges and Universities". Again, just find one clip or quote suggesting otherwise.

The title of the bill speaks for itself. Watch any previous debate or forum it is clear that he has changed his framing. He repeats himself all the time, so it's not hard to find.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies