NY-Gov: Thomas R. Suozzi to Run
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:31:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY-Gov: Thomas R. Suozzi to Run
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NY-Gov: Thomas R. Suozzi to Run  (Read 1623 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 02, 2005, 06:01:51 PM »

From The New York Times:

Thomas R. Suozzi, the Nassau County executive, has recently confided to prominent Democratic Party members that he is preparing to run for governor.

Commentary from some liberal blog:

If Tom Suozzi wants to commit political suicide, that is his right, but he should talk to Andy Cuomo first. Because he almost ruined his career running against Carl McCall.

The best thing for him to do is lay low or run for Lieutenant Governor, not challenge Spitzer, who will club him over his head with his "abortion compromise". Spitzer and NARAL will run him into the ground. While abortion is a toss in New Jersey, a NARAL attack on Suozzi would doom his candidacy. Abortion rights is so important in New York, even the GOP is pro-abortion and there is a seperate Right to Life party.

Suozzi would do well to not let his ambition get ahead of his common sense.

If he thinks Spitzer's support is shallow, I would invite him to test that theory. I think he will find it lacking when he tries it. New York Democrats want someone who is going to fight, not try and make deals. There is NO question about Spitzer's ability to fight. Suozzi seems willing to cut deals. So if he wants to run and get hammered like Dennis Vacco, that is his right. But a wise man would look elsewhere.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 09:00:40 PM »

No suprises here. He's been campaigning for the job forever.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 11:15:03 PM »

No suprises here. He's been campaigning for the job forever.

Oh, he must be really happy about Eliot Spitzer's rising star.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 11:16:16 PM »

The only thing I can think of is that maybe he's hoping for the Lt. Governor spot.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 12:24:04 AM »

Suozzi got elected in 2001 in a county (Nassau) that despite recent trends is still Republican on the local level. He must think that this will help him with the conservative Upstate areas. But I agree that if this rumor is correct it would end up disastorous for him.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 05:08:20 PM »

Suozzi got elected in 2001 in a county (Nassau) that despite recent trends is still Republican on the local level. He must think that this will help him with the conservative Upstate areas. But I agree that if this rumor is correct it would end up disastorous for him.

Just like to add that Suffolk County(The other LI county and also my place of residence) is also pretty much GOP strong on the local level.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005, 05:19:47 PM »

The only thing I can think of is that maybe he's hoping for the Lt. Governor spot.

You are elected to Lt. Gov. on a separate line in New York.  There have been Republican governors and Democratic Lt. Govs and IIRC vice versa.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2005, 05:55:39 PM »

You are elected to Lt. Gov. on a separate line in New York.  There have been Republican governors and Democratic Lt. Govs and IIRC vice versa.

I thought it was seperate votes in the primary, but the same vote in the general election.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2005, 06:06:00 PM »

Why would Spitzer even have to attack this guy on the issue of abortion?  The issues matter not; Spitzer has this one in the bag.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies