When was the main moment Rubio's campaign began to collapse?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:56:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  When was the main moment Rubio's campaign began to collapse?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: skip
Feb 6th, NH debate/Christie kamekazi attacks on him

Making fun of Trump's hand size

Failing to win Nevada

Failing to win Virginia

Romney's call to rally around Cruz everywhere except FL and OH

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 104

Author Topic: When was the main moment Rubio's campaign began to collapse?  (Read 2064 times)
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2016, 09:45:12 PM »

I'd say the NH debate when Christie roasted him
That's it. He had, before that, a chance to defeat Trump in New Hampshire, unite the real conservatives and establishment behind him, and defeat Trump soundly for the nomination.

After that, he fell decidedly behind Cruz for conservative support, and increasingly, the establishment crowd is moving to Cruz and Kasich. Despite his stronger showing in South Carolina, my thoughts are that he never truly recovered from that New Hampshire debate.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2016, 09:55:18 PM »

That's it. He had, before that, a chance to defeat Trump in New Hampshire, unite the real conservatives and establishment behind him, and defeat Trump soundly for the nomination.

After that, he fell decidedly behind Cruz for conservative support, and increasingly, the establishment crowd is moving to Cruz and Kasich. Despite his stronger showing in South Carolina, my thoughts are that he never truly recovered from that New Hampshire debate.

Yeah, no. Trump was never going to lose NH.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2016, 09:57:38 PM »

The thing about the New Hampshire debate is that it defined him as a lightweight.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2016, 09:57:50 PM »

He was never high enough to collapse.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2016, 09:59:02 PM »

Let's dispel with this fiction that the debate hurt him. He rebounded with a strong debate and finished in 2nd place in South Carolina.

Sure, but the strategy was 3-2-1, not 3-5-2. I think he could've done MUCH better in SC, Nevada, and Super Tuesday had he taken 2nd in New Hampshire. He could've maximized upon his Iowa momentum instead of nullifying it.

And even if you say it didn't directly hurt Rubio, it helped Kasich by not only turning off voters of Rubio, but turning off voters of Christie. Kasich was helped a lot by Christie's kamikaze attack of Rubiobot. And if Kasich had not gained the momentum from NH, Rubio would be the sole establishment candidate, correct? I highly doubt that any of Kasich, Christie, or Jeb! would still be in the race had Rubio beat them in the first 4 states.

Although I do agree that the immigration bit hurt him with conservatives, while in general he's too conservative for moderates, which is why he struggled to get either the wings of the party now taken up by Cruz and Kasich, respectively.

Yeah, no. Trump was never going to lose NH.

Correct, Rubio didn't whiff on a chance to beat Trump, but on a chance to beat the rest of the "establishment" wing and unite them behind him--which would've helped him a lot in every state since, perhaps making him the anti-Trump instead of Cruz.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2016, 10:00:52 PM »

Probably goes back to whoever programmed him, he's was designed to implode.
bilaps
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2016, 11:05:01 PM »

This.

Sure, he would have some chance if Christie moment didn't plunge him in NH, but he would be probably just slightly better than now if that happened. Maybe win in Virginia, but not for sure and that's it. Even with 50 or 100 more delegates he would've probably be in the same position if he loses FL. You can't continue if you can't win your home state and I think he would've lost his state no matter what.
rob in cal
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2016, 11:27:02 PM »

I'm thinking when he signed onto the gang of 8 immigration surge bill instead of leading the fight against it. By supporting it he kind of started off the campaign with a giant negative to many GOP voters.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2016, 11:56:14 PM »

Sarcasm (10 minutes after he announced!) aside, the debate with Christie. It was his Dan Quayle moment, only worse, because after the hit, he blundered into it again.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2016, 11:59:18 PM »

The Chirste debate thing turned him into the pre-programmed candidate and it stuck.   
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2016, 12:08:36 AM »

His poll numbers really took a big hit once he started "criticizing" Trump the way Trump "criticizes" others. People expect Trump to act like that, people don't expect someone like that to act like a kid in middle school and they viewed him as not taking the issues seriously, and stooping down to Trump's level, and they started flocking to Cruz/Kasich. I mean the results after New Hampshire (South Carolina, Nevada) weren't that bad for Rubio, he got 2nd in both (albeit barely in South Carolina), but on Super Tuesday you could see him completely falling, getting mostly third, no or very few delegates in huge states in the Republican firewall, and getting his first win ever in *Minnesota*. At least he was able to complete the Mondale map by winning D.C. too Grin!

Point is, Rubio should have never been idiotic and decided to attack Trump like the way he attacks others. He got some media attention for it, but it completely backfired.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies