Lack of diversity among airline pilots
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:38:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Lack of diversity among airline pilots
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Lack of diversity among airline pilots  (Read 2199 times)
rob in cal
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 13, 2016, 11:39:20 PM »

It seems that every time I go to an airport the only pilots I see are white males.  Is there a movement to diversify the pilots of the US?  Why isn't this on the political agenda, or ever brought up by candidates?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 12:43:51 AM »

How about we just hire qualified pilots regardless of race? Why is this a thread, none the less a potential subject?

For whatever it's worth, I have never seen a pilot on a flight I've flown on. I know they greet passengers when you board, but I literally never pay attention and have no memory or mental image of any of my pass pilots. I very well might have had a black pilot once. Maybe not. I don't know.
rob in cal
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 12:54:24 AM »

I bring this up because I'm wondering why the pro-affirmative action people are so silent on this issue, unlike things like pop culture or police and fire department racial unrepresentativeness.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 10:27:16 AM »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/Why-are-there-so-few-female-pilots/
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 10:45:22 AM »

I don't know about you, but the only pilot I know is Amelia Earhart.

tbh, it's about teaching young girls that it's cute to be scared. (bonus points if you read that article)
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 10:58:22 AM »

There are a growing number of female pilots, though racial homogeneity is a thing in the airline pilot world. From my knowledge of the industry, gays and lesbians seem to make up the majority of minority pilots. As for flight attendants, I've seen every color of the rainbow, and I've yet to fly with a male flight attendant who wasn't gay. (For those that aren't aware, my major in college was Airline Management and Operations, and my intended career path is a flight attendant.)

In 2006, history was made when Atlantic Southeast Airlines operated two flights with an all-black, all-female crew:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3EuN_TbXmM
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 11:06:02 AM »

Still a better gender ratio than this forum.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 11:17:02 AM »

It seems that every time I go to an airport the only pilots I see are white males.

I have noticed this as well, not only on commercial airlines but on small private ones too.  This is anecdotal, however, and unless you collect some statistics you can't really make a blanket statement.

Incidentally, the only boat pilots I've ever seen are males as well.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 11:21:22 AM »

Neil Armstrong, Alan Shepard, Chuck Yeager, John McCain, Chuck Lindbergh, Sully, Bill Burr, the gay guy from Grease....
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 03:44:01 PM »

Just got a university of Illinois magazine that bragged about a female pilot alum.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 04:22:24 PM »

And the reason is, of course, the same reason hockey isn't all that diverse....it's expensive, and you've almost got to know somebody that does it to get into it.

and it's hard.  You have to have several different skill sets, and not be afraid of heights/flying/your own competency.  If you win the genetic lottery, and happen to be born in the west and really want it, you can do it no matter where you're from through the military.  But you've got to really be good, that sh**t is very competitive....as you would expect it to be and as you'd want it to be.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 01:48:16 AM »

Maybe, maybe not.  The latest polls allege that the forum is now ~10% female:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=230406.0
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=229395.0
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2016, 02:03:15 AM »

What is the male-to-female ratio of airline passengers?  From anecdotal experience, it seems that men tend to outnumber women in first class.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2016, 07:11:43 AM »

How about we just hire qualified pilots regardless of race? Why is this a thread, none the less a potential subject?

For whatever it's worth, I have never seen a pilot on a flight I've flown on. I know they greet passengers when you board, but I literally never pay attention and have no memory or mental image of any of my pass pilots. I very well might have had a black pilot once. Maybe not. I don't know.

It's amazing how many people are unobservant and/or lack intellectual curiosity.

How can you talk about politics if you aren't observant and ask questions?  I suppose by this logic the person in the 1940s who asked, "how come there are no black people in our league" should have just shut up and we could have all been enjoying the wonders of all white basketball.

The logic is so messed up.  Asking the question doesn't imply people want to hire unqualified pilots.  Historically there were very few male nurses.  But once salaries and job security increased and the stigma of being a male nurse went down males of all races entered the field.  It wasn't that males were "unqualified".  People really need to leave the Republican/Nazi mindset of superior races behind.  It's 2016 for Pete's sake.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2016, 01:13:51 PM »

It's amazing how many people are unobservant and/or lack intellectual curiosity.

How can you talk about politics if you aren't observant and ask questions?  I suppose by this logic the person in the 1940s who asked, "how come there are no black people in our league" should have just shut up and we could have all been enjoying the wonders of all white basketball.

The logic is so messed up.  Asking the question doesn't imply people want to hire unqualified pilots.  Historically there were very few male nurses.  But once salaries and job security increased and the stigma of being a male nurse went down males of all races entered the field.  It wasn't that males were "unqualified".  People really need to leave the Republican/Nazi mindset of superior races behind.  It's 2016 for Pete's sake.
You know damn well that I did not say that blacks are somehow disqualified from being pilots. Nice try, dick.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2016, 02:48:05 PM »

You know damn well that I did not say that blacks are somehow disqualified from being pilots. Nice try, dick.

Lefty logic now dictates that not discriminating on the basis of race is actually racism.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2016, 03:07:01 PM »

LOL, so much for making a joke. Sorry for not following the airliners, dope. I don't like flying, you see. Not one bit. Therefore, I don't observe. Every time I've been forced on a plane in my adult life, I've fainted. Check your health privilege.

Thanks for making me have to see that absurd rant, Sanchez Tongue
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2016, 08:14:03 PM »

Maybe minority youths, for whatever reason, haven't been as interested in studying aviation?  It doesn't have to be a thing.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2016, 05:23:57 PM »

I have an idea to increase diversity in aviation: lets take a bunch of black people and FORCE them to fly us. That hasn't been tried before amirite?Huh
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2016, 11:22:43 PM »

Maybe minority youths, for whatever reason, haven't been as interested in studying aviation?  It doesn't have to be a thing.

Given that commercial airline pilots tend to end up living in poverty... the economic prospects surely scare a number of potential people away from the career.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2016, 06:29:25 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Amen. By now I just assume all commentators in Atlas are male unless stated otherwise.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies