Democratic Ides of March Tuesday results thread (first polls close at 7pm ET)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:31:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Democratic Ides of March Tuesday results thread (first polls close at 7pm ET)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33
Author Topic: Democratic Ides of March Tuesday results thread (first polls close at 7pm ET)  (Read 44933 times)
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #775 on: March 16, 2016, 01:17:33 AM »
« edited: March 16, 2016, 01:30:03 AM by Ebsy »

Words cannot describe how happy I am that Clinton won the Great State of Missouri.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #776 on: March 16, 2016, 01:22:10 AM »

It looks like those of us that theorized about Hillary's residual white support in MO were correct. Due to a disappointing result in St. Louis, this is what delivered her the state. She performed particularly well in the bootheel near Arkansas.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #777 on: March 16, 2016, 01:22:53 AM »

It really is. I might have to find the (non-photoshopped) gif of Trump getting scared by a bald eagle. Not sure if imgur will let me use it though.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #778 on: March 16, 2016, 01:31:05 AM »

It looks like those of us that theorized about Hillary's residual white support in MO were correct. Due to a disappointing result in St. Louis, this is what delivered her the state. She performed particularly well in the bootheel near Arkansas.
Clinton did remarkably well in rurul Missouri, particularly the Southeast, while underperforming in the cities, though in the end, her margin in St. Louis County was enough to push her over the top.
yourelection

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #779 on: March 16, 2016, 01:54:18 AM »

Clinton scores big on this primary day. She racks up delegates putting her more than 300 over Sanders. Sanders can not pull off another surprise win like he did in Michigan. His uphill battle gets steeper and steeper.

More at: http://www.yourelection.net/2016/03/march-15-primaries/
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #780 on: March 16, 2016, 02:12:39 AM »

On Hispanics: I think it's safe to say Hillary is winning them comfortably. Based on the states with significant amounts of Hispanics, we've gotten two essential ties (NV/IL) and two Hillary blowouts (TX/FL). Blowout states are much larger too.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #781 on: March 16, 2016, 02:15:15 AM »

On Hispanics: I think it's safe to say Hillary is winning them comfortably. Based on the states with significant amounts of Hispanics, we've gotten two essential ties (NV/IL) and two Hillary blowouts (TX/FL). Blowout states are much larger too.

Hillary is winning southern Hispanics, but Bernie ties or wins non southern Hispanics.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #782 on: March 16, 2016, 02:30:11 AM »

Hillary is winning southern Hispanics, but Bernie ties or wins non southern Hispanics.

Isn't that what he said... But I see you're still invested in the weird NV entrance poll.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #783 on: March 16, 2016, 02:34:42 AM »

Isn't that what he said... But I see you're still invested in the weird NV entrance poll.

He did win NV Hispanics, and may have won Colorado Hispanics.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #784 on: March 16, 2016, 02:53:27 AM »

Why are you so convinced that he won NV Hispanics?  Why trust the exit poll sample over Hispanic precincts? They both have similar problems with representativeness.  What's the difference, besides that you prefer one is true?
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #785 on: March 16, 2016, 02:58:05 AM »
« Edited: March 16, 2016, 03:04:04 AM by Spooky Mike »

Why don't they call MO yet for both sides?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #786 on: March 16, 2016, 02:58:18 AM »
« Edited: March 16, 2016, 03:02:48 AM by President Griffin »

Nate Cohn posted this map of the South (Clinton vs. Sanders):

He notes that OK, NC, and FL all have party registration, and so the "Dixiecrats" (or whatever you want to call them) are unable to crossover and vote in the Republican primary.

Not necessarily a perfect correlation there: Louisiana has party registration, too, and the biggest D registration advantage out of all of those states to boot. Furthermore, look at the areas surrounding western NC (North GA, East TN, SW VA, etc) where there isn't party registration - Sanders came within single digits in about 20 counties in North GA and did quite well in East TN and VA, too.

Just to add to this: when you look at partisan registration figures for 2014-2015 in NC, you'll also notice that some of the stronger areas for Sanders are in some of the most ancestrally-weak areas in terms of Democratic registrations, so I'm not sure I buy this theory about closed primaries influencing the result to any substantial degree for Sanders.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #787 on: March 16, 2016, 03:15:42 AM »

Why are you so convinced that he won NV Hispanics?  Why trust the exit poll sample over Hispanic precincts? They both have similar problems with representativeness.  What's the difference, besides that you prefer one is true?

Heavily Hispanic precincts which likely have a lot of blacks don't vote the same as Hispanics statewide. Read this for more details.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/2/22/1488704/-Do-Nevada-precinct-results-show-that-Clinton-won-Latinos-Um-No-Not-when-you-look-more-carefully
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #788 on: March 16, 2016, 03:32:18 AM »

Heavily Hispanic precincts which likely have a lot of blacks don't vote the same as Hispanics statewide. Read this for more details.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/2/22/1488704/-Do-Nevada-precinct-results-show-that-Clinton-won-Latinos-Um-No-Not-when-you-look-more-carefully

That looks very credible.  I'll give it some thought/research if I give a chance.  One thing I do caution is that a lot of heavily Hispanic areas have incredibly awful registration/turnout rates, especially in renter-heavy zones.  However the point that heavily Hispanic precincts are not representative is very, very well-taken.

A lot of states input their caucus results to the VAN (remember that?  the thing we argued about a while back) and include attendance by ethnicity.  It would be awesome if someone could Nevada could just run those numbers and settle the question!
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #789 on: March 16, 2016, 03:33:40 AM »

Looking at the congressional district breakdown of Missouri, Sanders actually won 6 of the 8 districts. Clinton ended up winning the delegates in the state 36-35 (based on some quick calculations).

Will be interested to see the congressional district breakdown of Illinois and North Carolina as well. Not so much Florida or Ohio. Tongue
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #790 on: March 16, 2016, 05:41:59 AM »

Where did that malarkey that Sanders won Colorado Hispanics came from?
There was no entrance poll there and besides that Clinton crushed him in the two most Latino-heavy counties, Conejos and Costilla.
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #791 on: March 16, 2016, 06:21:01 AM »

Congrats to Hillary on her sweep of the primaries yesterday. Bernie was able to keep it quite close in IL + MO. Dems should now move into GE mode.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #792 on: March 16, 2016, 11:25:01 PM »

Nate Cohn posted this map of the South (Clinton vs. Sanders):

He notes that OK, NC, and FL all have party registration, and so the "Dixiecrats" (or whatever you want to call them) are unable to crossover and vote in the Republican primary.

Not necessarily a perfect correlation there: Louisiana has party registration, too, and the biggest D registration advantage out of all of those states to boot. Furthermore, look at the areas surrounding western NC (North GA, East TN, SW VA, etc) where there isn't party registration - Sanders came within single digits in about 20 counties in North GA and did quite well in East TN and VA, too.

Just to add to this: when you look at partisan registration figures for 2014-2015 in NC, you'll also notice that some of the stronger areas for Sanders are in some of the most ancestrally-weak areas in terms of Democratic registrations, so I'm not sure I buy this theory about closed primaries influencing the result to any substantial degree for Sanders.

Well, OK, here is a map of Democratic primary "protest votes" (those for candidates other than Clinton or Sanders):

It also shows a higher number of votes for non-Clinton/non-Sanders candidates in states with party registration.  Maybe the "Dixiecrats" vote for O'Malley or De La Fuente in some places, but Sanders in others?  I don't know.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #793 on: March 17, 2016, 03:25:22 AM »

Texas doesn't have party registration so I don't understand why all these people who didn't like the Democratic candidates voted O' Malley and Randall Terry instead of picking a Republican ballot.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #794 on: March 17, 2016, 03:55:00 AM »

What's the deal with Clark county, MO?  Uncommitted won 63% with 650 votes; that's over a quarter of Uncommitted's statewide total.  Reporting error?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #795 on: March 17, 2016, 04:27:59 AM »

What's the deal with Clark county, MO?  Uncommitted won 63% with 650 votes; that's over a quarter of Uncommitted's statewide total.  Reporting error?

Not sure what the deal with the data source is, but it's definitely wrong.  Official totals from the state of Missouri:

Clinton 202
Sanders 178
Other 7
Uncommitted 6
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #796 on: March 17, 2016, 11:24:07 AM »

Texas doesn't have party registration so I don't understand why all these people who didn't like the Democratic candidates voted O' Malley and Randall Terry instead of picking a Republican ballot.

Maybe they either didn't know they could take a Republican ballot, or wanted to vote in the local Democratic primary for sheriff or dog catcher.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #797 on: March 17, 2016, 11:41:04 AM »

When are they going to post their results the last 100 Illinois precincts?

And why the hell Missouri is still uncalled when the votes are all in?
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #798 on: March 17, 2016, 11:48:27 AM »

The possibility of a recount along with the lack of clarity regarding some of the results out of Jackson County. I think most of the media outlets are waiting for the Missouri SOS to certify the results.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #799 on: March 17, 2016, 12:09:48 PM »

The possibility of a recount along with the lack of clarity regarding some of the results out of Jackson County. I think most of the media outlets are waiting for the Missouri SOS to certify the results.
If they asked for a recount in either the Republican or Democratic primary, how long does it usually take to get that done.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies