Sexual Orientation Determined by Genes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:15:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Sexual Orientation Determined by Genes
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Sexual Orientation Determined by Genes  (Read 17497 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 03, 2005, 01:20:01 AM »
« edited: June 03, 2005, 01:28:46 PM by Frodo »

....in fruit-flies.

whether this also applies to human beings is another story, but the results are intriguing and possibly far-reaching if this same gene is also found in Homo sapiens:

For Fruit Flies, Gene Shift Tilts Sex Orientation

By ELISABETH ROSENTHAL,
International Herald Tribune
Published: June 3, 2005

When the genetically altered fruit fly was released into the observation chamber, it did what these breeders par excellence tend to do. It pursued a waiting virgin female. It gently tapped the girl with its leg, played her a song (using wings as instruments) and, only then, dared to lick her - all part of standard fruit fly seduction.

The observing scientist looked with disbelief at the show, for the suitor in this case was not a male, but a female that researchers had artificially endowed with a single male-type gene.

That one gene, the researchers are announcing today in the journal Cell, is apparently by itself enough to create patterns of sexual behavior - a kind of master sexual gene that normally exists in two distinct male and female variants.

In a series of experiments, the researchers found that females given the male variant of the gene acted exactly like males in courtship, madly pursuing other females. Males that were artificially given the female version of the gene became more passive and turned their sexual attention to other males.

link

John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 06:35:57 AM »

I just read this elsewhere, interesting stuff. Of course, as you mentioned, humans are vastly more complicated creatures, so this is not necessarily indicative of what determines human sexual orientation.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 08:25:53 AM »

Sexual orientation is genetic. This will be proven beyond reasonable doubt in our lifetimes.

The Christian fundamentalists will go crazy when the scientific evidence comes to light.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 08:29:56 AM »

Sexual orientation is genetic. This will be proven beyond reasonable doubt in our lifetimes.

As I said, humans are more complex. For instance, I've seen studies that show that when a mother drinks while pregnant with a girl, there's a slight increase in the chance that the girl will be a lesbian. There probably are genetic factors, but given that we are such complex creatures other factors must also be given consideration. Still, I don't think sexual orientation is a choice, but I'm not willing to chalk it up to being entirely genetic.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 08:42:55 AM »

Still, I don't think sexual orientation is a choice, but I'm not willing to chalk it up to being entirely genetic.

You're right, it's not completely black and white (hence some people being bisexual) but it's definitely not a choice. Genetics are definitely the major factor.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 09:00:35 AM »

If sexual orientation is genetic, how can you have identical twins where one is gay and other straight?

Dave
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005, 09:12:55 AM »

If sexual orientation is genetic, how can you have identical twins where one is gay and other straight?

Dave

Did you read the article? It said it's purely genetic for fruit flies, not humans. Humans are vastly more complex creatures, so our genes will obviously affect us differently than fruit flies.

As I said, genetic factors are likely involved, but my guess is they only set the stage. Having one genetic trait might give one an increased chance of becoming gay, just as certain genes do for other traits. For example, schizophrenia is partially linked to heredity - if one of your parents had it, you have a greater chance of getting it yourself, but there is no gaurantee you will develop it. Outside forces that can trigger it would thus likely have a greater chance of doing so than someone who does not have schizophrenia in their family. So, if there are genetic factors in human sexual orientation, this same logic likely applies - even in identical twins that would have the genes that could increase their chances of being homosexual, it won't necessarily be true that both will become so.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2005, 09:15:20 AM »

Genetics is a major factor in tendency to commit murder.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2005, 09:21:34 AM »

I'm pretty sure this is sarcasm, but actually it can be. Genetics and brain chemistry can affect behavioral patterns(however, as humans we do have the ability to choose and reason, so it's not an excuse for the act of murder). For instance, some people have 3 chromosomes instead of 2 - one section of these are men who have 2 Y chromosomes and 1 X. Having 2 Y chromosomes generally inceases aggressive tendencies. Studies have shown that there are a good number of such people in prison populations, greater than the ratio in the population at large.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2005, 09:22:38 AM »

The Christian fundamentalists will go crazy when the scientific evidence comes to light.

They will shortly be followed by homosexual groups who will go ballistic when the announcement is made that there is now a gene therapy that can "fix this abnormality" and wipeout homosexuality.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2005, 09:23:41 AM »

I'm pretty sure this is sarcasm, but actually it can be. Genetics and brain chemistry can affect behavioral patterns(however, as humans we do have the ability to choose and reason, so it's not an excuse for the act of murder). For instance, some people have 3 chromosomes instead of 2 - one section of these are men who have 2 Y chromosomes and 1 X. Having 2 Y chromosomes generally inceases aggressive tendencies. Studies have shown that there are a good number of such people in prison populations, greater than the ratio in the population at large.

No, not sarcasm. It's the truth.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2005, 09:25:06 AM »

No, not sarcasm. It's the truth.

Oh, ok then, I just never know with you. Smiley
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2005, 09:40:08 AM »

Ok scientists have genetically engineered gay fruit flys. Swell! Hopefully they didn't use tax dollars.

I must say however that I was impressed by the fact that fruit flys copulate for 20 minutes. Pretty sturdy little critters!
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2005, 09:44:31 AM »

They will shortly be followed by homosexual groups who will go ballistic when the announcement is made that there is now a gene therapy that can "fix this abnormality" and wipeout homosexuality.

If people want to try it, I say go for it.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2005, 09:56:19 AM »

Or a genetic test for homosexuality, leading to homosexual fetuses being aborted. Much more likely than your scenario, actually.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2005, 09:58:32 AM »

It would be so ironic if liberals have to support a woman's right to murder gay kids.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2005, 09:59:47 AM »

Very doubtful.  Dr. Suzuki, famous Canadian geneticist, supports the idea that it is NOT genetic.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2005, 10:02:03 AM »

Yes, finding that homosexuality is gene-related may not be a bad thing for my cause.  Definitly, it would be a gene the government would want to encourage expecting parents to alter or get rid of somehow. 

Your cause?  Please explain.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2005, 10:10:11 AM »

I take it you believe in genetic modification of human embryos, and abortion if necessary?
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2005, 11:16:56 AM »

I wouldn't be too influenced by this study. I imagine that Drosophila malenagater was chosen because it has such a simple genome and reproduces so quickly. Obviously, human behaviors are determined by something much more involved.

However, I did read an interesting Swedish study. It showed that sexual preference was related to a hypothalmic structure which detected certain pheromones. The study concluded that men who are attracted to other men have the same hypothalmic function in this area as women. Naturally, much more research is needed on this point, but I think it is a far more viable lead than this fruit fly study.
Hitchabrut
republicanjew18

Political Matrix
E: 8.38, S: 7.49

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2005, 12:22:41 PM »

Then why do gay genes continue on if gays don't have children?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2005, 01:12:52 PM »

Well, some do. And, again, the main argument is that it is a part of the puzzle, not the entire puzzle. It could be recessive, or triggered by some unknown environmental condition. And then there's bisexuals. Who knows?

And, even moreso, it's interesting science, but who cares? This argument has always been dumb to me. I don't see much difference between it being genetic and it happening due to environmental factors. They're that way, and to me it makes little difference why they are.

And, by the way, I would really love to learn how gays are "ruining western civilization" or whatever.
Hitchabrut
republicanjew18

Political Matrix
E: 8.38, S: 7.49

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2005, 01:58:21 PM »

Mutations of the Genetic code.  That's right, if genes determine sexual orientations then you come to the conclusion that gays are mutants.

So it's possible that if you have a brown-haired population with people with blond hair as a minority, and the people who have blonde hair and genes for blonde hair die, will mutations occur that cause 2% of the population to be blonde-haired?
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2005, 04:07:01 PM »

Mutations of the Genetic code.  That's right, if genes determine sexual orientations then you come to the conclusion that gays are mutants.

Then we are all mutants to be honest. The genetic code is mutating at all times you realise, some are advantageous, some are not and thus die out. Mutations occur all the time.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2005, 04:11:17 PM »

Ok scientists have genetically engineered gay fruit flys. Swell! Hopefully they didn't use tax dollars.

I must say however that I was impressed by the fact that fruit flys copulate for 20 minutes. Pretty sturdy little critters!

What's so "sturdy" about copulating for 20 minutes?  Granted 3 seconds would a greater portion of their lives than it normally would take humans, but slow genetic exchange isn't exactly "sturdy."
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies