Sexual Orientation Determined by Genes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:32:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Sexual Orientation Determined by Genes
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: Sexual Orientation Determined by Genes  (Read 17647 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: June 08, 2005, 04:44:25 PM »

If Cosmo Kramer is trying to get me to feel patriotic about America, it's not working. Tongue
Bogart
bogart414
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -5.39

« Reply #101 on: June 08, 2005, 07:00:56 PM »

So many people here speaking about something they cannot, no matter how hard they try, possibly understand. It's sort of like figuring out how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. Unless you are gay, as enlightened as you may think you are, you can't know how it feels.

It is not learned. It is not a habit. It is not a choice--any more than being straight is any of these things. It simply is.

Moreover, one thing that is scarcely mentioned in this type of debate is that, as unfathomable as it may be to many, most gays don't want to be straight even if they could be.

It's unfortunate that most parents don't realize the damage they are doing.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #102 on: June 08, 2005, 07:04:19 PM »

Well, yes, much like the mentally ill often refuse to take meds, and insist there's nothing wrong with them.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #103 on: June 08, 2005, 07:37:01 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

What, chicks with dicks hentai?
[/quote]

No, someone deleted their post above mine.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #104 on: June 08, 2005, 11:53:56 PM »

And to opebo: Never before have I read such irreducible idiocy as your "intolerant child abuser" remark. I argued that the fetuses found to be gay should be brought to term and not aborted. Also, discouragement of any habit is in no way 'abuse'.

Yes, it is abuse. 
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #105 on: June 08, 2005, 11:55:12 PM »

Where I'm from, homosexuality is despised.  It's a common end to jokes.  It's a common insult.  Gays are ridiculed.

What a lovely tolerant place you live in.....

Even in the left wing paradise I reside in, there are many people who don't like gays. There's nothing wrong with "homophobia" in any case.

What do you mean 'wrong'?  It is certainly a sign of severe stupidity and intolerance in the phobic person, and a mark that he is a tremendous danger to others in society.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #106 on: June 09, 2005, 12:21:35 AM »

What do you mean? It is simply a matter of personal opinion, and is neither a "good" nor "bad" point of view. A true relativist would understand that.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #107 on: June 09, 2005, 12:30:36 AM »

Well, yes, much like the mentally ill often refuse to take meds, and insist there's nothing wrong with them.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #108 on: June 09, 2005, 02:39:06 AM »

What do you mean 'wrong'?  It is certainly a sign of severe stupidity and intolerance in the phobic person, and a mark that he is a tremendous danger to others in society.
Hah, you'd sound like a religious if I didn't know you were ranting about homophobia
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #109 on: June 09, 2005, 01:03:27 PM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Out of interest, do you guys consider the gay members of the forum to be mentally ill?  Or, if this study is to be believed, a genetic disorder?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #110 on: June 09, 2005, 01:15:13 PM »

Good question! Am I mentally ill? Should I be hauled out of university and taken to see a physchologist? If I was they would no doubt laugh out loud at such a suggestion. So we have biologists telling us its probably genetic, phsychologics telling us it is NOT mental what do the homophobes do now?

Oh heres a link to how homosexuality is not only genetic but also inherited

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3735668.stm

It's a good read.

A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #111 on: June 09, 2005, 01:24:40 PM »

Yes, but not because your homosexuality disorder. That's just a subconscious error, the tendency for which may be encoded genetically. Though much like with murderers, I would not say that all homosexuals are the product of genetics.

And yes, genes are inherited. What a, um, stunning revelation... All kinds of disorders are genetic in nature.
Palefire
Rookie

« Reply #112 on: June 09, 2005, 01:33:53 PM »

So we have biologists telling us its probably genetic, phsychologics telling us it is NOT mental what do the homophobes do now?

Call you names and ignore what you say would be my bet. These are folks that need somewhere to vent their hate, they don't want to learn; they want to hate. They want somebody to kick. I don't know why you bother talking to bunch of extremists about this topic.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #113 on: June 09, 2005, 01:40:50 PM »

Since sexuality is mental, anyone who says homosexuality is not mental is a braindead idiot.

As for genes, it's already been pointed out that the tendency for a number of things we deem improper, including murder, are genetic. It's a non-issue.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #114 on: June 09, 2005, 04:34:54 PM »

So we have biologists telling us its probably genetic, phsychologics telling us it is NOT mental what do the homophobes do now?

Call you names and ignore what you say would be my bet. These are folks that need somewhere to vent their hate, they don't want to learn; they want to hate. They want somebody to kick. I don't know why you bother talking to bunch of extremists about this topic.

*Yawn* Please quit trolling.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #115 on: June 09, 2005, 08:08:57 PM »

Since sexuality is mental, anyone who says homosexuality is not mental is a braindead idiot.

Just a suggestion: If you want any more people than the ones who agree with you to take you seriously, don't say stupid things like that.  It's not PROVEN that sexuality is genetic and until then everyone's entitled to their opinion.  I feel really stupid writing this...

Whether it is genetic or not changes nothing, and there is nothing 'stupid' about the segment of my post you quoted.

Additionally, whether it is genetic or not also does not change the fact that it's mental. Bipolar can certainly be inherited, but it is mental. Behavioral patterns are mental, so unless you think sexuality is not a behavioral pattern, then I can't believe you're refuting this.
Palefire
Rookie

« Reply #116 on: June 09, 2005, 09:59:16 PM »

After reading some of the inane comments on this thread, many of which were written with no other purpose than to offend (including from you - by the way, how does one post "I just love pissing off liberals" and "please quit trolling" in the same thread?), that last post of mine was just a piece of heart felt advice for the young man.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #117 on: June 10, 2005, 12:12:37 AM »

After reading some of the inane comments on this thread, many of which were written with no other purpose than to offend (including from you - by the way, how does one post "I just love pissing off liberals" and "please quit trolling" in the same thread?), that last post of mine was just a piece of heart felt advice for the young man.

Well you opinion that it is "hate" is ridiculous. You have no scientific proof that your side (the liberal one) is correct. You have no right to pander your side as being for certain the right one and call our opinions "hate". Unless you are Jesus Christ himself you have no real evidence either way. And here I was thinking liberals were open minded. Roll Eyes
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #118 on: June 10, 2005, 04:59:15 AM »

I don't think anybody claimed to have scientific 'proof' - just a heck of a lot of evidence instead (nuggets of which have been posted variously in this thread).

Quick question for you, States.  Do you hate gay people?  I put the emphasis on 'hate'.
Palefire
Rookie

« Reply #119 on: June 10, 2005, 08:42:51 AM »
« Edited: June 10, 2005, 09:37:12 AM by Palefire »

Being a curmudgeon, I would have put it a little different Joe, but fair enough.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #120 on: June 11, 2005, 12:11:11 AM »

I don't think anybody claimed to have scientific 'proof' - just a heck of a lot of evidence instead (nuggets of which have been posted variously in this thread).

Quick question for you, States.  Do you hate gay people?  I put the emphasis on 'hate'.

No, I do not hate gay people. I hate their lifestyle but not them.

And now I must post a classic quote on this subject.

I HATE GUY PEOPLE
BUT I PRAY FOR THEM
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #121 on: June 11, 2005, 05:45:56 PM »

I don't see any difference between their 'lifestyle' and your own, StatesRights.  They just stick things in holes.  I'm sure you do the same, though I suppose the only real difference is they could 'switich'.  I suppose technically you could too..

Anyway, it seems to me a matter of what you consider a 'different' lifestyle.  To me the differences seem so minute as to be inconsequential.  You might as well disapprove of people who live in apartments or eat a different kind of food from you.

??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #122 on: June 11, 2005, 07:14:58 PM »

I don't see any difference between their 'lifestyle' and your own, StatesRights.  They just stick things in holes.  I'm sure you do the same, though I suppose the only real difference is they could 'switich'.  I suppose technically you could too..

Anyway, it seems to me a matter of what you consider a 'different' lifestyle.  To me the differences seem so minute as to be inconsequential.  You might as well disapprove of people who live in apartments or eat a different kind of food from you.

No, their lifestyle is an abomination to God & nature quite obviously.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #123 on: June 11, 2005, 08:00:54 PM »

So why does God make people gay via their genes?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #124 on: June 11, 2005, 08:06:50 PM »

So why does God make people gay via their genes?

Conclusive proof?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies