Sexual Orientation Determined by Genes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:16:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Sexual Orientation Determined by Genes
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: Sexual Orientation Determined by Genes  (Read 17655 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2005, 10:40:19 AM »

Secondly, all those anti-abortion christian fundamentalists will suddenly change their tune and support abortion in these circumstances saying that it is 'gods will.' Of that there is no doubt.

A broad and sweeping generalization with very little evidence of fact. But who am I to think that any liberal would tell the truth or present facts?
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2005, 10:44:12 AM »

Good Lord. What is wrong with you people! The USA is probably the only country in the world that gives a sh... about trying to 'cure' homosexualitry. As for the one who said if genetic links are true we should make it the number one medical priority to 'cure' homosexuality, well i'm sure all those cancer sufferers out there will be really pleased to hear of that! Good to know you've got your priorities right :s

Secondly, all those anti-abortion christian fundamentalists will suddenly change their tune and support abortion in these circumstances saying that it is 'gods will.' Of that there is no doubt. First of course they will deny that the link exists for a few years, still believing that you can catch it by sharing a toothbrush with a 'fag' or something equally as absurd. GENUINE anti-abortionists, who have a genuine and admirable stance on the issue, will of course still condemn abortion, but no doubt they will be attacked as 'ungodly' by their former allies and somewhere the founding fathers will be spinning in their graves so damn fast they will be able to generate heat!
I agree. I find it very sad that there are people dumb enough to think homosexuality is a disease or should be "cured". Very sad indeed Cry.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2005, 10:46:01 AM »

Good Lord. What is wrong with you people! The USA is probably the only country in the world that gives a sh... about trying to 'cure' homosexualitry. As for the one who said if genetic links are true we should make it the number one medical priority to 'cure' homosexuality, well i'm sure all those cancer sufferers out there will be really pleased to hear of that! Good to know you've got your priorities right :s

Secondly, all those anti-abortion christian fundamentalists will suddenly change their tune and support abortion in these circumstances saying that it is 'gods will.' Of that there is no doubt. First of course they will deny that the link exists for a few years, still believing that you can catch it by sharing a toothbrush with a 'fag' or something equally as absurd. GENUINE anti-abortionists, who have a genuine and admirable stance on the issue, will of course still condemn abortion, but no doubt they will be attacked as 'ungodly' by their former allies and somewhere the founding fathers will be spinning in their graves so damn fast they will be able to generate heat!
I agree. I find it very sad that there are people dumb enough to think homosexuality is a disease or should be "cured". Very sad indeed Cry.

Ok, so if it's a genetic disorder then you say it shouldn't be cured. So then its ok if we have people with mental retardation running around and doctors not trying to cure it because we may hurt someones sensitivities?
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2005, 11:15:26 AM »

Ok, so if it's a genetic disorder then you say it shouldn't be cured. So then its ok if we have people with mental retardation running around and doctors not trying to cure it because we may hurt someones sensitivities?
Its not a genetic disorder, its simply genetics. That's like saying blonde hair, which would be genetic, is a disorder. And I have nothing wrong with people who are mentally retarded; they are fine as they are. I don't hate people because of who they are.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2005, 11:53:01 AM »

Its not a genetic disorder, its simply genetics. That's like saying blonde hair, which would be genetic, is a disorder. And I have nothing wrong with people who are mentally retarded; they are fine as they are. I don't hate people because of who they are.

So you wouldn't want to fix the gene so that people are no longer born mentally retarded? And yes, if homosexuality is genes it certainly is a disorder as nature does not create animals with the expressed purpose of having sexual relations with the same sex.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2005, 11:59:52 AM »

It would certainly be a great advance for humanity to wipe out homosexuality disorder for good.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2005, 12:01:10 PM »

It would certainly be a great advance for humanity to wipe out homosexuality disorder for good.
I hope you and Statesrights are being sarcastic.
Cashcow

« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2005, 01:05:48 PM »

With rising divorce and gay marriage rates, I am fearful for the fall of the family and consequently western civilization.

WOW.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2005, 01:08:11 PM »

I'm not sure why my views are quite so extereme in other people's views.  I think it would do a great deal good for society to advance the traditional family.  With rising divorce and gay marriage rates, I am fearful for the fall of the family and consequently western civilization. 
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!! PEOPLE ARE GETTING DIVORCED!!!! GAYS ARE GETTING MARRIED!!!! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!
You must be logged in to read this quote.
I do.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2005, 03:41:25 PM »

Actually nature does create animals who have same sex preferences as any biologist will tell you. Unless you now believe that animals have suddenly developed a form of reason and make a conscious decision to be gay. It IS nature. If humans were the only animal to display homosexual traits then fair enough. But everything from dolphins to hedgehogs do. Oh and i'm not a liberal StatesRights. Have a wee look at the Scottish Conservative Party logo emblazened as my signature!
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2005, 03:57:10 PM »

Well, certainly, much like bipolar disorder, I would imagine homosexuality disorder is linked to genetics. However, we tend to think of things such as bipolar and homosexuality as 'unnatural' in the sense that they are not the way things ought to work. Nevertheless, one can consider anything a disorder, and anything 'natural.'
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2005, 04:45:14 PM »

Mutation =! Disorder
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2005, 04:46:42 PM »

Actually nature does create animals who have same sex preferences as any biologist will tell you. Unless you now believe that animals have suddenly developed a form of reason and make a conscious decision to be gay. It IS nature. If humans were the only animal to display homosexual traits then fair enough. But everything from dolphins to hedgehogs do.

Wouldn't that debunk the 'survival of the fittest' theory?

What conservative issues could you and I agree on? Just curious.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2005, 06:57:25 PM »

I'm not sure why my views are quite so extereme in other people's views.  I think it would do a great deal good for society to advance the traditional family.  With rising divorce and gay marriage rates, I am fearful for the fall of the family and consequently western civilization.  I don't see what is "stupid" about that.

The 'traditional family' is just one social construct, mostly brought about by economic conditions, and certainly not at all historically 'normal'.  Your view is incredibly myopic. 

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2005, 06:58:23 PM »

Well hopefully this is true I may decide to be pro abortion. At least for babies with this gene.
I hope you're kidding

Barely. But it would be ironic to see pro murder liberals support murdering their voting base.

it would be even more ironic to see 'pro-life' Republicans who make it their tradition to pray outside abortion clinics suddenly leap on a pedestal and demand that babies who seem genetically gay be aborted as you have done. 

it would show that their love for life is really only skin-deep, as i suspect in my more cynical moments... 

Go post some more of your hate America crap. You may continue on now.

what the hell does that have to do with anything?  do you usually post random comments like this when you feel under attack? 

No, I just love pissing off liebrals.

It doesn't piss me off when you acuse us (or just me) of hating America.  I do hate the place - it sucks!
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2005, 07:11:54 PM »

Population rates in the West are falling.  The traditional family is becoming less common.  People are caring less about cultural and moral decency.  We are imploding upon ourselves.  China is surpasing us economically, and possibly soon millitarily.  Something must be done!

What are you talking about?  Cultural and moral 'decency'?  Why should we accept your subjective preferences as objective morality?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2005, 05:23:38 AM »

Secondly, all those anti-abortion christian fundamentalists will suddenly change their tune and support abortion in these circumstances saying that it is 'gods will.'
I would never encourage anyone to have an abortion, whether or not they know their child will be gay.  Anyway, you sure love to generalize, but that's typical of religious bigots.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2005, 11:51:26 AM »

I would never encourage anyone to have an abortion, whether or not they know their child will be gay.  Anyway, you sure love to generalize, but that's typical of religious bigots.

Em...how am I a religious bigot exactly? To bigoted about a religion is to show an indifensible lack of understanding about a faith and simply hating it because of that. As someone who was educated by Jesuits and was raised a Catholic I would doubt that I was a bigot (unlike certain evangelicals who refuse to vote for a Catholic candidate; see 1928 and the 'tunnel to the Vatican' incident for an example) Secondly I disagree with evangelicals for the same reason that Barry Goldwater did; there is a dangerous element who believe that they alone have a monopoly on Christianity and morality and who try to push this agenda in a nation that is supposed to have a distinct seperation of church state.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2005, 02:04:08 PM »
« Edited: June 06, 2005, 04:33:51 PM by Storebought »

If a genetic basis to homosexuality is found, and, presuming it can be detected in utero, I would suspect a remarkably large number of soon-to-be parents will find the trait undesirable to the extent that abortion is not an extreme option.

Especially for the foreign posters, I can't stress this fact enough: In the United States, homosexuality is a condition/behavior that is truly despised even among self-described liberals.

For ex.: I stayed at a professor's house over holiday break, when the after-dinner discussion turned to the movie Alexander. The prof's equally liberal wife explained that the movie was a flop because "Alexander the Great was a poof" and nobody wants to watch poofs on a movie screen.

That said, I know that recessive traits (if homosexuality is in fact a recessive trait) are inextinguishable. If all soon-to-be homosexuals are aborted in the womb, then the gay gene will merely reside unexpressed in the fetuses that aren't aborted.

This will lead either to (1) incidents of bisexuality skyrocketing among the generation that escaped abortion (2) virtually all offspring borne among the unaborted populations are gay, as the recessed genes grow in number and virulence among the survivors. Somehow, these don't strike me as desirable outcomes.

The best thing, therefore, would be to let the little gay fetuses live, but discourage their homosexuality with the vigor that the federal government (along with many other groups) discourages smoking. Better to allow the fetus to mature into a person who can alter his behavior than to abort the fetus entirely.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2005, 04:19:10 PM »

If that is the case then so much for the Land of the Free that's all I can say Sad
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2005, 04:30:53 PM »

If that is the case then so much for the Land of the Free that's all I can say Sad

It's not as bad as he's making it out to be, especially among the younger crowd. At least that's my experience, and I live in the conservative South.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2005, 10:06:54 PM »

Em...how am I a religious bigot exactly? To bigoted about a religion is to show an indifensible lack of understanding about a faith and simply hating it because of that. As someone who was educated by Jesuits and was raised a Catholic I would doubt that I was a bigot (unlike certain evangelicals who refuse to vote for a Catholic candidate; see 1928 and the 'tunnel to the Vatican' incident for an example) Secondly I disagree with evangelicals for the same reason that Barry Goldwater did; there is a dangerous element who believe that they alone have a monopoly on Christianity and morality and who try to push this agenda in a nation that is supposed to have a distinct seperation of church state.
You can spare me your religious background; the fact remains that you have some sort of burning hatred against Christian "fundamentalists" because you think all of them have a problem with your gayness.  I'm a fundamentalist Christian, and I have no problem with your sexual preference, nor would I want babies aborted because they could turn out to be gay.  The only thing I have a problem with is your intolerance, generalization, and bigotry.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2005, 10:27:18 PM »

What does freedom have to do with acceptance?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2005, 11:02:36 PM »

You can spare me your religious background; the fact remains that you have some sort of burning hatred against Christian "fundamentalists" because you think all of them have a problem with your gayness.  I'm a fundamentalist Christian, and I have no problem with your sexual preference, nor would I want babies aborted because they could turn out to be gay.  The only thing I have a problem with is your intolerance, generalization, and bigotry.

The religious get what they give.  Your complaints are like hearing some nazi complaining people are intolerant of him.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2005, 12:29:28 AM »

Nazism isn't a religion, but I doubt you're intelligent to comprehend such a basic fact when you advocate a $15 minimum wage.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies