Sexual Orientation Determined by Genes (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:16:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Sexual Orientation Determined by Genes (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sexual Orientation Determined by Genes  (Read 17683 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« on: June 03, 2005, 10:02:03 AM »

Yes, finding that homosexuality is gene-related may not be a bad thing for my cause.  Definitly, it would be a gene the government would want to encourage expecting parents to alter or get rid of somehow. 

Your cause?  Please explain.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 10:10:11 AM »

I take it you believe in genetic modification of human embryos, and abortion if necessary?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2005, 10:42:40 AM »

What is it with people constantly trying stamp out things they don't happen to agree with, even if it doesn't directly concern them?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2005, 10:57:54 AM »

But if there did happen to be a 'gay gene', then would you still say its unnatural?

Also, if there was such a gene, wouldn't that mean that God wants some people to be gay?  Otherwise, why would He have created them that way?  By altering the embryonic DNA, you realize you'd be messing with God's will, right?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2005, 11:22:40 AM »

Well you know as well as I do that God works in mysterious ways. Wink  I would think that if He created each and every person, as the Bible teaches, then He also created their genes.  As you say, He may not support homosexuality or murder, but the fact that He might have created the genetic compositions that cause such behavior would suggest that He at least wanted it to exist.

Also, I wouldn't compare homosexuality to murder, but that's my opinion.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2005, 05:42:07 PM »

Especially for the foreign posters, I can't stress this fact enough: In the United States, homosexuality is a condition/behavior that is truly despised even among self-described liberals.

Am I the only one who not only finds this comment inaccurate, but disturbing as well?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2005, 01:03:27 PM »

Well, yes, much like the mentally ill often refuse to take meds, and insist there's nothing wrong with them.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Out of interest, do you guys consider the gay members of the forum to be mentally ill?  Or, if this study is to be believed, a genetic disorder?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2005, 04:59:15 AM »

I don't think anybody claimed to have scientific 'proof' - just a heck of a lot of evidence instead (nuggets of which have been posted variously in this thread).

Quick question for you, States.  Do you hate gay people?  I put the emphasis on 'hate'.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2005, 08:00:54 PM »

So why does God make people gay via their genes?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2005, 08:11:24 PM »

Assuming the stack of scientific evidence is to be believed, that is.  Fortunately for me (lazy SOB that I am), some of it has already been posted variously throughout this thread.

Do you deny that homosexuality is predominantly genetic?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2005, 08:16:15 PM »

So why does God make people gay via their genes?

So why does God make people criminals via their genes?

Hopefully that question isn't aimed at me, because you'd be asking the wrong person.  Ask StatesRights, because he actually believes in God.  I just use the subject for picking out fallacies in believers' arguments.  The one you asked right there is also a good one.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2005, 04:16:36 AM »

It's the equivalent of asking, "If there is a God, why aren't all people perfect?" It's a logical fallacy, because the former would not require the latter.

No it's not the equivalent, because I know that isn't true.  What I was asking (and I'll incorporate your question into this), is why God puts the genetic structures in place that will eventually cause people to become either homosexual or a violent criminal.

(My apologies for putting two completely separate demographics in the same boat.)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2005, 05:33:11 AM »

I appreciate your response Palefire, but it doesn't really answer my question.

If anybody else wants to try, it's; "Why does God put the genetic structures in place that will eventually cause people to become either homosexual or a violent criminal?"
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies