Sexual Orientation Determined by Genes (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:34:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Sexual Orientation Determined by Genes (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sexual Orientation Determined by Genes  (Read 17651 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« on: June 03, 2005, 01:20:01 AM »
« edited: June 03, 2005, 01:28:46 PM by Frodo »

....in fruit-flies.

whether this also applies to human beings is another story, but the results are intriguing and possibly far-reaching if this same gene is also found in Homo sapiens:

For Fruit Flies, Gene Shift Tilts Sex Orientation

By ELISABETH ROSENTHAL,
International Herald Tribune
Published: June 3, 2005

When the genetically altered fruit fly was released into the observation chamber, it did what these breeders par excellence tend to do. It pursued a waiting virgin female. It gently tapped the girl with its leg, played her a song (using wings as instruments) and, only then, dared to lick her - all part of standard fruit fly seduction.

The observing scientist looked with disbelief at the show, for the suitor in this case was not a male, but a female that researchers had artificially endowed with a single male-type gene.

That one gene, the researchers are announcing today in the journal Cell, is apparently by itself enough to create patterns of sexual behavior - a kind of master sexual gene that normally exists in two distinct male and female variants.

In a series of experiments, the researchers found that females given the male variant of the gene acted exactly like males in courtship, madly pursuing other females. Males that were artificially given the female version of the gene became more passive and turned their sexual attention to other males.

link

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2005, 07:39:46 PM »

Well hopefully this is true I may decide to be pro abortion. At least for babies with this gene.
I hope you're kidding

Barely. But it would be ironic to see pro murder liberals support murdering their voting base.

it would be even more ironic to see 'pro-life' Republicans who make it their tradition to pray outside abortion clinics suddenly leap on a pedestal and demand that babies who seem genetically gay be aborted as you have done. 

it would show that their love for life is really only skin-deep, as i suspect in my more cynical moments... 
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2005, 07:45:40 PM »

Well hopefully this is true I may decide to be pro abortion. At least for babies with this gene.
I hope you're kidding

Barely. But it would be ironic to see pro murder liberals support murdering their voting base.

it would be even more ironic to see 'pro-life' Republicans who make it their tradition to pray outside abortion clinics suddenly leap on a pedestal and demand that babies who seem genetically gay be aborted as you have done. 

it would show that their love for life is really only skin-deep, as i suspect in my more cynical moments... 

Go post some more of your hate America crap. You may continue on now.

what the hell does that have to do with anything?  do you usually post random comments like this when you feel under attack? 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies