2016 a "boring' election?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:15:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  2016 a "boring' election?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2016 a "boring' election?  (Read 881 times)
Dazey
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 14, 2015, 08:00:14 AM »

2012 was the first election I voted in, and while it wasn't as exciting as 2008 was, it was still incredibly memorable in a lot of ways. You had the drama of the first few debates where Obama looked weak, but then came back swinging with "horses and bayonets". You had the crazy 2011 GOP primaries with Herman Cain using Pokemon quotes in the debate and the candidates literally screaming at each other and Bachmann's insanity. You had the fun dirt of the 47% tape. Even if you might have liked Romney previously (as I did, seeing him as a moderate Republican prior to 2012), by November it was clear you were either voting for Obama (a great president and genuinely cool dude) or Romney (a corporate shill). And when I voted for Obama, I was for voting for him as much as I was against Romney - because I genuinely like Obama as Prez, it wasn't simply that he was the lesser of two evils, he was the likable lesser evil. Even still, there were many who still liked Romney; I know I still respected him and if he hadn't pandered so far to the right and had campaigned as Governor Romney, I might have voted for him. I even knew a few women who were attracted to him.

2008 was electric. You had this bright relatively new guy who could light up a room with the power of his oratory, the election was fierce and ideological and you knew it was a historic moment. It was a moment which seemed to be the first lights of a the first dawn of a new age in America. It was incredibly controversial a time, but incredibly exciting. I missed out on being able to vote in 2008 by two weeks, but even at my high school, the debates between my classmates was fierce - Last time I've seen people that young genuinely interested in the political process or an election. But no one really liked McCain unless they were a blind sort of Republican, and no one REALLY deep down thought Palin was an intellectual book of wisdom. It was exciting, and it felt like an important election.

2016 just feels....Meh. Even with the prospect of it being a historic election in the sense of, if Hillary wins she'll be the first female...It doesn't seem like it's going to be one of those elections where you genuinely like the candidate you're voting for. Because of how deep the influence the Tea Party now runs in the GOP, if Hillary is the Dem nominee, I'd vote for her even if the GOP nominated Jesus Christ. But I'm not going to enjoy doing it. The entire GOP field is a bunch of boring people with no hidden moderates, slick SOBS like Romney, no jokes like Cain, no nutjobs like Palin or Bachmann.

It seems like one of those elections like 1988 or 1976, utterly boring where you're only voting for your guy because the alternative seems horrid but your guy isn't so hot either.
DS0816
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 09:20:03 AM »

Jesus Christ wouldn't not be a Republican.

What I see, so far, with 2016 is the Corporate News Media once again doing their best to make the election out to be another toocloseforcomfort type in which the Republicans and Democrats are essentially the same; Hillary Clinton is popular or not popular and Jeb Bush is popular or not popular; Could this or that Democratic or Republican contender really win the nomination?!; and, of course, Stay tuned to our network coverage, for Election 2016, with every waking moment you the sucker viewer can manage.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 09:26:01 AM »

It will be a typical election with dynasty families. But, the Srnate and judicial branch is up this election cycle. And it is sn important election. 2012 was similar, but certainly not like 2000, 2006&2008.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 09:35:05 PM »

topkek
wolfsblood07
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 09:46:57 PM »

2016 is the wildest election at least since 1948!
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 09:51:22 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And then Trump came.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies