Will Bernie Sanders be gracious in defeat?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:17:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Will Bernie Sanders be gracious in defeat?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Poll
Question: ...or will he be a stubborn old asshole?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 136

Author Topic: Will Bernie Sanders be gracious in defeat?  (Read 10047 times)
ag
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2016, 10:01:15 PM »

I believe so. He is a gentleman, and his goals do not include electing Trump. However, there will be a lot of shut from his supporters.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2016, 10:11:03 PM »

I do hope that he stops scamming his supporters, most of them young, naive and indebted college students, out of their money to fund his long-shot campaign. Just today he sent out an email begging for contributions and lying that he still had a shot at victory.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2016, 10:18:16 PM »

This campaign has not caused anything worse than scratches between the candidates themselves. Sanders is not technically out of it yet and he has favorable states coming up, so he owes it to his supporters, who literally blew up the "corrupt campaign finance system", to stay in the race.

At the convention, I expect Sanders to be given the respect he deserves by the party and for him to be gracious in defeat and call for unity against Trump. There won't be any grandstanding like Ted Kennedy at the 1980 convention.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2016, 10:27:46 PM »

This campaign has not caused anything worse than scratches between the candidates themselves. Sanders is not technically out of it yet and he has favorable states coming up, so he owes it to his supporters, who literally blew up the "corrupt campaign finance system", to stay in the race.

At the convention, I expect Sanders to be given the respect he deserves by the party and for him to be gracious in defeat and call for unity against Trump. There won't be any grandstanding like Ted Kennedy at the 1980 convention.

Knowing Bernie, his convention speech will be something along the lines of:

"In America today, we have a billionaire class which controls a vast majority of the wealth. According to the latest figures from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, approximately 20% of workers..."

etc.
etc.
etc.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2016, 10:51:58 PM »

I think Bernie Sanders has run an admirable, polite, issues-focused campaign thus far, particularly when contrasted with what is going on in the d***-measuring contest that is Republican race, and I have no reason to think he is going to change on that front.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2016, 11:03:58 PM »

I do hope that he stops scamming his supporters, most of them young, naive and indebted college students, out of their money to fund his long-shot campaign. Just today he sent out an email begging for contributions and lying that he still had a shot at victory.

I don't think $27 is a life or death amount of money.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2016, 11:06:21 PM »

Knowing Bernie, his convention speech will be something along the lines of:

"In America today, we have a billionaire class which controls a vast majority of the wealth. According to the latest figures from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, approximately 20% of workers..."

etc.
etc.
etc.

Yeah, how dare he have issues he's passionate about and back them up with facts which are genuinely shocking. Roll Eyes
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2016, 11:14:43 PM »

Of course Bernie will be gracious in defeat, and when Hillary becomes the nominee going against Trump, the electorate will be faced with the two worst choices for President in history.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2016, 11:34:09 PM »

Of course Bernie will be gracious in defeat, and when Hillary becomes the nominee going against Trump, the electorate will be faced with the two worst choices for President in history.

A touch melodramatic for you... and Romney isn't even running.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2016, 11:37:19 PM »

I don't agree with you much, and I don't 100% agree, but we certainly have some agreement there. I'd say maybe the worst since 1924.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2016, 11:45:43 PM »

I don't agree with you much, and I don't 100% agree, but we certainly have some agreement there. I'd say maybe the worst since 1924.

It's not clear to me that Hillary would be better or worse than Obama, but she'd definitely be better than Bill (even if she's less skilled politically than him) because she is markedly more liberal/has been dragged to the left, so not even close on that side of the choice, at least. 

Trump is obviously a horror show in several ways.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2016, 11:56:38 PM »

It's not clear to me that Hillary would be better or worse than Obama, but she'd definitely be better than Bill (even if she's less skilled politically than him) because she is markedly more liberal/has been dragged to the left, so not even close on that side of the choice, at least. 

Well 1996 was also a pretty bad matchup. But at least Dole > Trump. Bill was pretty terrible for being a Democrat. Hillary might be more of a hawk than Bill, though.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2016, 12:03:18 AM »

Well 1996 was also a pretty bad matchup. But at least Dole > Trump. Bill was pretty terrible for being a Democrat. Hillary might be more of a hawk than Bill, though.

Fair points
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2016, 02:27:29 AM »

I hope so, but I highly doubt it. His supporters are never going to vote for Clinton anyway, so there's no point in being gracious. When the common consensus across the Bernie Sanders camp is that any woman voting for Hillary is just "voting with her vagina," I highly doubt that even if he does concede defeat that he'll be able to get his supporters to join our side. After all, these are Democrats who've been conditioned to believe right-wing propaganda (Benghazi, emails, etc.)

You may subscribe to the nonsense of the transphobic sexists, but that doesn't mean other Democrats have the same issues.  Sorry.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2016, 02:28:56 AM »
« Edited: March 17, 2016, 02:31:10 AM by Moderate Hero Republican »

The only two democrats better then Clinton since the civil war are FDR and Truman mainly since he actually new how to compromise.
DS0816
« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2016, 07:38:42 AM »

Bernie Sanders' campaign is over.  

It's not.

Please leave this forum site. You have nothing of value to contribute.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2016, 10:45:24 AM »

Bernie Sanders' campaign is over.  

It's not.

Please leave this forum site. You have nothing of value to contribute.

This is the second-longest non-aggregate thread.
Please learn how to handle your disappointment without taking it out on others.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2016, 02:28:20 PM »

Yes, I think he's that classy. Bernie is a good man.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2016, 10:15:47 AM »

No but for people like me, that's a tank of gas. Unlike many of his supporters, my total political contributions were $3 to Hillary and my yearly $10 dues to the Michigan Democratic Party. And that's probably all I'll give this year too. But I do agree with Leif that he's taken advantage of many college students.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2016, 10:40:35 AM »

Sanders abruptly walked out of an interview when the reporter asked about his wife meeting with Joe Arpaio
http://www.12news.com/mb/news/12-news-one-on-one-with-bernie-sanders/87672745
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2016, 05:28:24 PM »
« Edited: March 18, 2016, 05:30:31 PM by RaphaelDLG »

The only two democrats better then Clinton since the civil war are FDR and Truman mainly since he actually new how to compromise.

Clinton deregulated WS resulting in the most devastating economic environment in 07-08 since the thirties.  He basically just capitulated halfway to Republicans his whole Presidency and didn't do anything insane while he sat on awesome increases in technology that resulted in a great economy and didn't fight for any progressive either.  He would have been better than the Republican alternatives but he wasn't good/helpful.

I have a lot of reservations about Obama that are the same as my reservations about Clinton, but he in many was was able to move the country forward.

FDR is way, WAY better than everyone else.  I'd put Truman 2nd post-WWII, probably ahead of Wilson.  Johnson is effective domestically but has the whole vietnam thing; Kennedy is good but short and too conservative behind all of his charisma; Carter is a good man but obviously not good at the House of Cards aspect to the job.

Bush Sr somewhat and Eisenhower and Teddy especially are Republicans that are as good in my liberal point of view as some of the democrats
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2016, 07:31:22 PM »

I don't know. If he is defeated by Trump in the general I certainly hope not. LOL
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2016, 07:48:35 PM »

Sanders abruptly walked out of an interview when the reporter asked about his wife meeting with Joe Arpaio

You're making it sound like Jane Sanders and Joe Arpaio have political agreement, I'm just wondering if this deception is intentional or incidental?
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2016, 07:55:09 PM »

No but for people like me, that's a tank of gas. Unlike many of his supporters, my total political contributions were $3 to Hillary and my yearly $10 dues to the Michigan Democratic Party. And that's probably all I'll give this year too. But I do agree with Leif that he's taken advantage of many college students.

That's probably more ($13) than what most college age students have given Bernie tbh.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2016, 07:59:04 PM »

You're making it sound like Jane Sanders and Joe Arpaio have political agreement, I'm just wondering if this deception is intentional or incidental?

Why did Sanders feel the need to abruptly leave an interview over such a simple question? That's my point.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies