Politicians and lying
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:40:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Politicians and lying
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Do politicians LIE to get elected?
Yes

No

When they have too

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: Politicians and lying  (Read 3620 times)
MissCatholic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 03, 2005, 06:49:54 AM »

I have just found out that two of my fathers friends are to lose thier jobs.

They have voted Republican all thier lives but they were in doubt in the last election. I told my Dad that if Bush has said that he wont close the base then he does what he says. You can disagree with the president but he says what he means.

NOW I FEEL LIKE A COMPLETE IDIOT.

Thune ran on keeping the air base open. Bush said on nov 1st (please dont make me get the quote out on his victory tour of Iowa) I have bitten my tongue in hope that Bush or Thune could do something. Yet they arent doing nothing. Thune is going to vote against Bolton -- WELL WHOOPIE DOOO!!!!!!!

that does nothing for my fathers friends!!!!!!! who were going to vote for Daschle.

My heart in politics is being seriously tested. why would they do such a thing. Harry Reid as majority leader has helped nevada gain 1000 jobs. we lose Daschle and i wasnt too concerned as thune and bush said that the base wouldn't be closed BEFORE every fool voted.

shame on them
Palefire
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 07:31:14 AM »

Bending the publics perception of them, to better serve them, is what politicians do for the most part. I'm sorry that such lies are now effecting you; but it's a very old story. I don't believe that problem can be addressed in any kind of meaningful way with out making some radical changes to the rules under which politicians operate.
MissCatholic

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 07:33:49 AM »

did bush lie to south dakotans?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 07:41:23 AM »

When they have to, they don't always lie.
Palefire
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 07:46:05 AM »

I think Bush has fallen short of the truth with a lot more people than just south dakotans. I'm not familiar with Bush's statement that you reference, so I've got to hold off on that front until such time as I am.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 09:46:06 AM »

How to tell if a politician is lying; His mouth is moving.

I don't know anything about the base in your state but I would ask one question; If the military does not need the base is it right to keep it open at taxpayer expense just to maintain the jobs for the people working there?
Palefire
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005, 10:11:01 AM »

I don't know anything about the base in your state but I would ask one question; If the military does not need the base is it right to keep it open at taxpayer expense just to maintain the jobs for the people working there?

I have to agree with your last point, but I'm not so sure it runs counter to MissCathlolics point. If Thune sold himself to the voters as the guy that would save the base (which is something the south dakota voters did and still do want to do), and the base gets closed on his watch, I would have to think that those voters would feel suckered. Which, of course, will be the case if the base closes. Did Thune lie, or is he just not being effective at doing something he wished to do? I don't know. The good news for Thune is that he doesn't face re-election again for quite some time, and I doubt that the south dakota voters will hold on their anger for the next 5 years. Which is most likely one of the reasons that base was picked for closing.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2005, 01:13:51 PM »

Some do, some don't.

But why do we fault politicians so much for it? I think it is, to an extent, our own compensation. The average person, I recall, lies upwards of 30 times per day.
WilliamSeward
sepoy1857
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2005, 01:20:34 PM »

Some do, some don't.

But why do we fault politicians so much for it? I think it is, to an extent, our own compensation. The average person, I recall, lies upwards of 30 times per day.

Exactly. And even if they didn't lie directly, the still use hundreds of tricks to try and exaggerate or otherwise misrepresent themselves and their opponents. It is virtually imperative in order to win. Deception is deception, one way or another.
Palefire
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2005, 10:29:55 PM »

Some do, some don't.

Because their lies have more of an impact on our lives than some kid telling a line to a girl he wants to bed. It remains my hope that we the people will raise our standards a bit higher than "eh, it's OK to be dishonest".
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2005, 11:07:14 PM »

There are lies, damn lies, and statistics.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2005, 07:45:51 PM »

Politicians who always completely tell the honest truth never get elected, ever.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2005, 10:50:37 PM »

Great news!
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2005, 10:51:30 PM »

Great news!

Typical "compassionate conservative".
Palefire
Rookie

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2005, 07:50:44 AM »

Great news!

Maybe taking joy in the suffering of others is just a Right Wing Christian ideal. It sure seems that way some times.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2005, 09:34:39 AM »

That's the correct question, but somehow I don't see MissCatholic answering it.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2005, 10:26:46 AM »

Maybe taking joy in the suffering of others is just a Right Wing Christian ideal.

He's never claimed to be "compassionate" or "Christian". So you two are wrong on both counts. If I remember correctly he has said, "I'm an uncomapssionate conservative". lol
Palefire
Rookie

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2005, 10:10:15 AM »

I think that Jfern's point, but you would have to ask jfern to be sure, is that the brand of uncompassionate conservatism on display here is actually fairly typical from those claiming to be compassionate - thus the use of the word 'typical'. That is at lest the way I took it.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2005, 10:12:51 AM »

I'm not compassionate with other people's money, hence I consider myself an uncompassionate conservative.

I am a Christian, but I share Ben Franklin's view of the poor.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2005, 05:02:07 PM »

Many "lies" they tell are not lies when told.

"Read my lips, no new taxes!" is a good one from H-Dub.  I can't imagine he wanted to raise taxes when he said that, yet he ended up doing exactly that.  Sometimes circumstances trump promises, and people had ought to be somewhat understanding of that.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2005, 05:35:28 PM »

Voters lie to politicians more than politicians lie to voters
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2005, 06:32:17 PM »

Every single one of them.
(except maybe Carter.)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2005, 07:14:16 PM »

Voters lie to politicians more than politicians lie to voters

Er, how?
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2005, 08:16:09 PM »

People always say they want the truth.  They most certainly want no such thing.  Almost all politicians who tell the unvarnished truth loes, as it is unpleasant to hear that higher taxes are in order, that welfare must be cut, that war is necessary, that sacrifice is important, etc.  No one wants to hear that, but they lie and say they want the truth.  What they really want to be told is fairy tales, so politicians give them fairy tales of how all will be well, and all you will be asked to do is cast a vote for so and so.
Palefire
Rookie

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2005, 09:10:35 PM »

Actually, I think people are looking for hope, not lies. They find a little false hope in believing the lies - but the lies are not what they want. They want the lies to be truth. But when the other guy is selling a load of BS to those that are buying false hope, it does make it hard. Such is the system we live in. If the voters asked for more than false hope, they would get it - but that isn't the case right now.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies