Global Warming; Fact or Fiction
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:23:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Global Warming; Fact or Fiction
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Global Warming; Fact or Fiction  (Read 5720 times)
Chiahead

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 21, 2004, 11:03:22 AM »

The process of global warming is what keeps this planet warm in the first place.  Solar radiation penetrates the upper atmosphere and is abosorbed by the earth and then the carbon dioxide layer reflects the infa-red radition back to the planet, keeping it warm when a side of the earth isnt' facing the sun.

Although I don't think there is immediate danger.  Of all the suns rays that hit the planet, only 51 percent actually penetrate the atmosphere.  Then only 21 percent of that energy goes into warming the planet.  This then goes into the global warming process.  HFC's (hydrofluorocarbons) and PFC's (perflourocarbons) are the major causes of excess warming.  They absorb most of all the heat.  Controlling these is the key to global warming.  Which is being done.

In my opion the atmosphere can handle larger amounts of carbon dioxide than it has now.  If the atmosphere gets thicker with carbon dioxide, more of the solar radiation will be reflected back into space.  Sort of an equalibrium will be reached with the heat reflected back to the surface and the light energy allowed in.  I'm not saying we shouldn't look for cleaner forms of energy, but we aren't in any immediate danger.
If the industrial revolution didnt' kill us with all that coal burning, I'll think we'll be fine.
ShapeShifter

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2004, 11:04:40 AM »

Chiapet, are you a scientist?
Chiahead

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2004, 11:06:29 AM »

working on it Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2004, 11:12:05 AM »

Well, in theory there would well be a phenomena like global warming. The real questions are:

1. Is it big?

2. What costs more, fighting it or accepting it?

Bjorn Lomborg, a Danish statistician and debater on environment issues have claimed that it would cost society more to halt global warming than to adjust to it.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2004, 11:12:35 AM »

Not informed enough to make a decision.
ShapeShifter

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2004, 11:15:13 AM »

Not informed enough to make a decision.

That is why I voted unsure and asked if Chiapet was a scientist. Smiley
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2004, 12:02:44 PM »

I think global warming is EXTREMELY exaggerated. A couple years ago half the US was supposed to be covered with water. Did it happen? No.
ShapeShifter

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2004, 12:04:33 PM »

I think global warming is EXTREMELY exaggerated. A couple years ago half the US was supposed to be covered with water. Did it happen? No.

Brambila, are you a scientist?
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2004, 12:09:11 PM »

Shapeshifter, that's a logical fallacy. Don't try it on me. I'll make you cry.

No I'm not a scientist, but that doesn't make me wrong.
ShapeShifter

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2004, 12:14:11 PM »

Shapeshifter, that's a logical fallacy. Don't try it on me. I'll make you cry.

No I'm not a scientist, but that doesn't make me wrong.

Make me cry? right. Like I would let you.

You are not a scientist and it does not make you wrong.

Global warming could be plausible but I am no scientist so I would not say it is fact or fiction.
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2004, 12:15:57 PM »

It's still irrelivent. And still a logical fallacy.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2004, 12:16:40 PM »

I think the threat of Nazi-Germany is EXTREMELY exaggerated. A couple of years ago Europe was supposed to be in war. Did it happen? No. (said in, I don't know, 1937 maybe)

That it hasn't ahppened yet, is not proof that it never will.
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2004, 12:21:02 PM »

Oh it may happen eventually, but it's exaggerated nonetheless.
Chiahead

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2004, 02:10:59 PM »

Here is a link to the EPA site that deals with Global Warming:

http://yosemite.epa.gov/oar/globalwarming.nsf/content/index.html

They have scientists Smiley
Chiahead

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2004, 02:13:06 PM »

Oh it may happen eventually, but it's exaggerated nonetheless.

I agree!
ShapeShifter

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2004, 02:15:01 PM »

Here is a link to the EPA site that deals with Global Warming:

http://yosemite.epa.gov/oar/globalwarming.nsf/content/index.html

They have scientists Smiley

Smiley thanks
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2004, 02:17:18 PM »

Acctually, there are solid scientic data that contradict, or at least down play the threat of global warming.  The first is the "pole shift".  Every 20,000 years or so, the magnetic poles of the earth acctually flip over a period of about 200-300 years.  This cuases a weakening in the Earth's magnetic field for the time period.  This causes a brief (but not very dangerous) waekening of the O-zone layer.  We are now well past due for one of these and many scientists think that we are in the midsts of one now.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2004, 02:35:45 PM »

Yes, I do think that the threat is exaggerated. Still, that's a rather moot point. If it happens, even if it's in a more distant future, it must still be dealt with, in some way. And it's better to be one step ahead of things... Wink
ShapeShifter

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2004, 02:48:45 PM »

Yes, I do think that the threat is exaggerated. Still, that's a rather moot point. If it happens, even if it's in a more distant future, it must still be dealt with, in some way. And it's better to be one step ahead of things... Wink

I agree. It is like the war on terrorism.
Chiahead

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2004, 03:01:52 PM »

The war on terror is a proven threat, Global warming isn't...recently we had some record low temps. this winter...

It even stopped Gore from giving a Global Warming Speech...doesn't seem ironic that Gore was going to talk about Global Warming and it turned out to be a record breaking cold day?
ShapeShifter

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2004, 03:07:23 PM »

The war on terror is a proven threat, Global warming isn't...recently we had some record low temps. this winter...

It even stopped Gore from giving a Global Warming Speech...doesn't seem ironic that Gore was going to talk about Global Warming and it turned out to be a record breaking cold day?

where you live? I hope it is not some small town in PA because then seriously - you have nothing to worry about when it comes to war on terror.
Chiahead

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2004, 04:56:20 PM »

where you live? I hope it is not some small town in PA because then seriously - you have nothing to worry about when it comes to war on terror.

I do live in a small town, but I go to school in the middle of a city.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2004, 05:07:21 PM »

I do live in a small town, but I go to school in the middle of a city.

One might perhaps worry about people other than oneself? Tongue
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2004, 06:05:53 PM »

I'm pro-Coal.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2004, 06:17:03 PM »

not sure.

global warming cycles come and go.  ice ages come and go.  the earth is much more resiliant than we give her credit for being.

I do know that plankton in the sea absorbs many times more carbon dioxide than the forests, so the argument against destruction of the rainforests should not be based on this reasoning.  The arguments against forest destruction should be based on habitat depletion.  If you wipe out the last monkey, then future generations will not be able to enjoy it.  and who doesn't enjoy having feces thrown in their face?

On the other hand, the temperature is rising, according to data collected by NOAA.  This should not be ignored.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies