Why doesn't Eurovision ever have "melodic indie post-punk scenecore" type music?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:42:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Why doesn't Eurovision ever have "melodic indie post-punk scenecore" type music?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Why doesn't Eurovision ever have "melodic indie post-punk scenecore" type music?  (Read 1233 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 16, 2016, 11:25:58 PM »
« edited: March 16, 2016, 11:29:02 PM by White Light »

Seriously, if I was a European I'd be kind of pissed because there'd be no way a song I liked could represent my country.

And plus I'm willing to bet that this is better than whatever gets nominated from the Netherlands, this is better than whatever gets nominated from Italy, this is better than whatever gets nominated from Germany and this is better than whatever gets nominated from Austria.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 11:32:52 PM »

Because Eurovision incorporates an element of popular voting, it's best for a country to have a song or put on a performance that will have broad appeal.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 11:33:43 PM »

Forecast is not in any way, shape, or form, better than Francesca Michielin.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 11:36:58 PM »

^This too.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 11:40:41 PM »

That's some pretty "niche" music. I think, as a previous poster said, they're going for things that a lot of people enjoy.

Then again, maybe I'm just biased because I hate screamed vocals Tongue
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 11:49:10 PM »

Because Eurovision incorporates an element of popular voting, it's best for a country to have a song or put on a performance that will have broad appeal.

Oh so that's why it's nothing but sappy pop ballads.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 11:50:26 PM »

That's some pretty "niche" music. I think, as a previous poster said, they're going for things that a lot of people enjoy.

The German song has singing.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 11:53:59 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXE-aTIIG30

? This? What the f[inks] is this?
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 12:00:20 AM »

The German song has singing.

Well, to be fair, it has both singing and screamed vocals.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 12:03:00 AM »

Are you kidding? There's plenty of hardcore stuff at Eurovision, it's just not the kind of hardcore that would appeal to you specifically. Some countries appear to have the sensibility, which is occasionally borne out, that the people of Europe want loud, soaring quasi-gothica. Other countries give up and send washed-up nutjobs and deliberately trashy and cynical novelty acts, or acts that put one in mind of camp falsetto Dracula or a lesbian love triangle in a girls' fantasy anime from the 1990s. (And both of those are from the same Eurovision!) And then there's the Finnish fantasy metal band that won in 2006 (which you'd hate, obviously, but it's not sappy or poppy by any stretch of the imagination). Most people who watch Eurovision watch it at least partly for the spectacle of stuff like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXE-aTIIG30

? This? What the f[inks] is this?

It's 'Nessun grado di separazione'! Now this very much is a sappy pop ballad and not really all that interesting (it's the worst Francesca Michielin song of the half-dozen or so I've heard), but it's technically well-done and Michielin's voice, appearance, and persona are all appealing.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2016, 12:35:47 AM »

Are you kidding? There's plenty of hardcore stuff at Eurovision, it's just not the kind of hardcore that would appeal to you specifically. Some countries appear to have the sensibility, which is occasionally borne out, that the people of Europe want loud, soaring quasi-gothica. Other countries give up and send washed-up nutjobs and deliberately trashy and cynical novelty acts, or acts that put one in mind of camp falsetto Dracula or a lesbian love triangle in a girls' fantasy anime from the 1990s. (And both of those are from the same Eurovision!) And then there's the Finnish fantasy metal band that won in 2006 (which you'd hate, obviously, but it's not sappy or poppy by any stretch of the imagination). Most people who watch Eurovision watch it at least partly for the spectacle of stuff like this.

None of that is anywhere near hardcore. A point I have to make quite frequently: hardcore is an actual genre*, it's not just a description of any "hard" music...and in fact for that matter not all hardcore is that "hard" either, the softer end of it includes stuff such as this.

But all that campiness and spectacle might explain it, since one of the underlying ideas behind hardcore music being played live is the focus should be on the AUDIENCE, they are the ones who should be going wild and insane. The band is just playing and jumping around.

*A fairly oddly named one too and classic example of what TV Tropes calls an "Artifact Title", I know of no other genre that is so hostile toward masculinity and macho culture, doesn't consider it uncommon to have people crying on stage, and frequently uses sobbed vocals an actual vocal style and not some fluke.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2016, 01:39:10 AM »

None of that is anywhere near hardcore. A point I have to make quite frequently: hardcore is an actual genre*, it's not just a description of any "hard" music...and in fact for that matter not all hardcore is that "hard" either, the softer end of it includes stuff such as this.

Okay, well, keep in mind I'm not in the scene and am not hep to all the lingo so I was using 'hardcore' colloquially.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Do you understand why that wouldn't work (or would require a lot of extra effort to make work) for something that most people watch on television? There's very little more frustrating than watching video footage of a live music event that doesn't focus on the stage.

Also, why the orange avatar? It's genuinely disorienting.
Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2016, 04:00:35 AM »

Why Eurovision still exists?
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2016, 06:26:31 AM »

I don't know about these other people, but I, personally, find BRTD's taste in music very dissonant.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2016, 06:43:21 AM »

I don't know about these other people, but I, personally, find BRTD's taste in music very dissonant.

'Dissonant' in what sense? Dissonant with the rest of his image?
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2016, 06:46:47 AM »

No, not really. The music itself seems sort of strange. There's a distinct melody, and then the vocalist just comes on in screaming.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2016, 07:03:05 AM »

Okay, well, keep in mind I'm not in the scene and am not hep to all the lingo so I was using 'hardcore' colloquially.

Do you understand why that wouldn't work (or would require a lot of extra effort to make work) for something that most people watch on television? There's very little more frustrating than watching video footage of a live music event that doesn't focus on the stage.

Perhaps he's declaring his allegiance to the Unionists?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2016, 07:05:22 AM »

And BRTD most Europeans aren't looking for, ahem, quality music in Eurovision. Most use it as an excuse to be kitsch and score points in centuries old feuds.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2016, 07:26:49 AM »

And BRTD most Europeans aren't looking for, ahem, quality music in Eurovision. Most use it as an excuse to be kitsch and score points in centuries old feuds.

Annnnddd CrabCake comes out with the point that should've been the first reply.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2016, 08:24:11 AM »

Because it's St. Patrick's Day.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2016, 08:33:44 AM »
« Edited: March 17, 2016, 08:35:57 AM by Bow all your heads to our adored Mary Katherine. »

Because it's St. Patrick's Day.

Speaking as somebody with Irish roots that I'm not particularly connected to and who cordially dislikes St. Patrick's Day, that is petty as all hell.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2016, 08:37:17 AM »

It's actually very doable and there are hardcore videos of such like this, although I suppose it's debatable if the Eurovision audience would react the same way this crowd is.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2016, 08:44:06 AM »

Also the orange avatar started some years ago because everyone was turning their avatars green on St. Patrick's Day, which I found stupid. (I'm actually genuinely surprised we didn't see an outpouring of R-CAs after Nancy Reagan died, which also would've been stupid.)

Weirdly enough a couple years ago St. Patrick's Day fell on a Sunday, and I saw a lot of people wearing green at church.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2016, 08:46:07 AM »

Also the orange avatar started some years ago because everyone was turning their avatars green on St. Patrick's Day, which I found stupid. (I'm actually genuinely surprised we didn't see an outpouring of R-CAs after Nancy Reagan died, which also would've been stupid.)

Weirdly enough a couple years ago St. Patrick's Day fell on a Sunday, and I saw a lot of people wearing green at church.

Yeah, that's a little tacky, and is exactly the sort of 'e'erybody is Oirish on St. Paddy's Day!!' bullsh**t that makes me dislike the holiday.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2016, 04:20:45 PM »

The worst thing is I try to make a point of abstaining from alcohol on St. Patrick's Day (the one day a year I do) but a great show just happened to happen tonight, so I won't be doing that this year.

But no green beer!
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies