Need A High Resolution US County Map
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:12:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Need A High Resolution US County Map
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Need A High Resolution US County Map  (Read 15033 times)
Sorenroy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -5.91

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 17, 2016, 04:33:57 AM »

Not really sure if this is the perfect place to put this, but here goes:

I need a high resolution US County Map (preferably with the territories that vote in the primaries, but if not, oh well) that is easily editable in a program like Microsoft Paint. That means simple, as in, no shades around the edges of the counties, just simple lines. It also needs to be really, really high res. Like one that shows those tiny little county things in Virginia. I am currently converting a absolutely massive map (without territories), but because it is shaded, it will probably take a couple dozen hours to complete. If anyone has a map like this, please tell me and save me some time, but if there is none, I will just post mine here when it is finished.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 04:44:27 AM »

Wikipedia may help: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_counties_and_county_equivalents
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 04:53:13 AM »

http://www2.census.gov/geo/maps/general_ref/us_base/stco2010/USstcou2010_wallmap.pdf
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 09:13:47 AM »

http://i.imgur.com/javKu.png

Doesn't include any U.S. territories, Alaska or Hawaii, but is probably the highest resolution image you're going to find online that is easily manipulated in MS Paint
Sorenroy
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 11:56:56 AM »

Thanks for the help, but none of those really work. The imgur one does not have the little Virginia county things, the census one can't be manipulated in MS Paint (because PDF and words), and the wiki one is a .svg, which can't be edited. I'm slowly converting a huge map showing the Jewish population around the United States into a black and white map (it's not simply shades of blue, counties have weird out of place pixels that are 1/255 off) but it will take forever.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0c/Jews-usa-county.jpg

Does anyone know of any way to just make the colors simple so it won't take me 8,000,000 years to do? If not, once I eventually finish, I'll be sure to post that big map up on here.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 12:11:01 PM »

You'd be much better off just downloading a Census shapefile and free GIS software.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 12:31:15 PM »

donworryaboutit

catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 06:34:58 PM »

If you ever wanted a MS paint-compatible county map like the one posted right above me, and wanted the county lines to be thinner and cleaner, voilà. I make tons of maps for myself using this. The colors at the top are in order (left to right) as >=70%, 60%, 50%, 40%, <=30%. I typically use blue for Dems and red for GOP, and the green is Independent or 3rd party.

/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 06:49:49 PM »

If you ever wanted a MS paint-compatible county map like the one posted right above me, and wanted the county lines to be thinner and cleaner, voilà. I make tons of maps for myself using this. The colors at the top are in order (left to right) as >=70%, 60%, 50%, 40%, <=30%. I typically use blue for Dems and red for GOP, and the green is Independent or 3rd party.

I literally spent at least five hours today editing the map that I posted here earlier in order to get rid of all the stray pixels. And now it's all for nothing.

Thank you so much for the map, but I guess I just wasted a whole day of my life.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 08:20:04 PM »

I literally spent at least five hours today editing the map that I posted here earlier in order to get rid of all the stray pixels. And now it's all for nothing.

Thank you so much for the map, but I guess I just wasted a whole day of my life.

Haha no problem. However the Jewish map you posted was larger and more detailed, so it could still be useful. Think about it this way: your 5 hours was for a good cause!
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2016, 03:05:09 PM »
« Edited: March 25, 2016, 03:19:12 PM by TimTurner »

Haha no problem. However the Jewish map you posted was larger and more detailed, so it could still be useful. Think about it this way: your 5 hours was for a good cause!
Thanks for this map as well. When I discovered this thread, I realized that I needed the exact same thing sorenroy needed.
(I had gotten another county map off the internet previously but for my purposes it was inferior to yours)
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2016, 10:09:58 AM »

Here is a slightly edited version of Megameow's map:

It has exactly one white area of pixels for each county or county equivalent in the United States, so you could click using the paint bucket 3,142 times (plus the fourteen blue areas and six tan areas) and fill in the whole map. Alaska was pretty hard because the borough boundaries are difficult to understand, but the twenty-nine pixel areas do exactly match the twenty-nine boroughs and census areas now. I also added the small counties in Colorado and Hawaii and deleted the two independent cities in Virginia that no longer exist.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2016, 11:18:19 PM »

What are the two independent cities in VA you deleted? I only see one in the south west.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2016, 12:44:47 AM »

^ The city of Bedford merged with Bedford County around 2012, IIRC. The other is Clifton Forge, which lost its independent city status after 2000.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2016, 04:14:12 PM »

Here is a slightly edited version of Megameow's map:

It has exactly one white area of pixels for each county or county equivalent in the United States, so you could click using the paint bucket 3,142 times (plus the fourteen blue areas and six tan areas) and fill in the whole map. Alaska was pretty hard because the borough boundaries are difficult to understand, but the twenty-nine pixel areas do exactly match the twenty-nine boroughs and census areas now. I also added the small counties in Colorado and Hawaii and deleted the two independent cities in Virginia that no longer exist.

When I was making a primary map with this I ran into what looks like an error. Jefferson County, Ohio (on the Eastern central border of Ohio and Pennsylvania) and it's surrounding counties appear to be broken into too many separate areas on your map.

If I'm wrong, please help me out, but If I'm right you might want to go back and fix it for others.

The two smaller counties next to Jefferson are Hancock and Brooke Counties, West Virginia. I can see why you would think it's an error because the shape of West Virginia does fit between Ohio and Pennsylvania kind of awkwardly, but the counties are definitely supposed to be there. Smiley
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2016, 06:50:10 PM »
« Edited: April 30, 2016, 06:52:00 PM by Megameow »

I edited my county map a little bit. Many of the county borders, because of the nature of the map being pixelated, are simplified and therefore don't match the borders in actuality. It's a minor change, but some of the changes are more clear like in Virginia where I modified the cities a little bit, and the Connecticut panhandle which was misshaped in the previous map. Denver was modified heavily as well, and Broomfield county in CO was added (◔ ᴥ ͡◔ added Broomfield first).

catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2016, 06:08:41 PM »

I see those two now; Falls Church and Manassas Park. They're so small that I'm tempted not to include them, but I can make one with them for you guys if you'd like.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2016, 09:40:00 PM »

Check out Virginia. Just gorgeous haha
Sorenroy
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2016, 10:14:36 AM »

Check out Virginia. Just gorgeous haha

Looks great. I see like one stray pixel around Manassas Park that could be take out to make it a bit cleaner (it's unnecessary for making the boundaries), but besides that it looks amazing.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies