Who will win the Wisconsin Republican Primary?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:06:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Who will win the Wisconsin Republican Primary?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: What do you think?
Donald Trump

Ted Cruz

John Kasich

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 82

Author Topic: Who will win the Wisconsin Republican Primary?  (Read 4164 times)
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2016, 11:44:02 PM »

I don't understand why Wisconsin is supposed to be not naturally favorable turf for Trump. Could someone spell it out for me?

It's full of communitarian upper midwestern 'good governance' types who like people who are nice and don't like people who are brash. The Republican demographics tend to be more on the upper socio-economic status end of things in Wisconsin as well. The Wisconsin union voters tend to be more Democratic than in other midwestern states.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2016, 01:04:06 AM »

I don't understand why Wisconsin is supposed to be not naturally favorable turf for Trump. Could someone spell it out for me?

It's full of communitarian upper midwestern 'good governance' types who like people who are nice and don't like people who are brash. The Republican demographics tend to be more on the upper socio-economic status end of things in Wisconsin as well. The Wisconsin union voters tend to be more Democratic than in other midwestern states.
This.

There are definitely pockets where Trump will do exceedingly well, but again, it will depend so much on turnout. I don't think Trump will do well in Ryan's stomping grounds, and there just happen to be a lot more people there than in the rural areas. But then they are also going to be less fired up to vote, I think.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2016, 02:27:54 AM »

While this seems logically to be a very anti-trump state, it also seems like one where Cruz and Kasich would get in each other's ways a great deal. So another win for the tiny hands.

This is a very important point. Also here was the last Marquette poll. Should be noted that this was before Super Tuesday.

Trump 30%
Rubio 20%
Cruz 19%
Kasich 8%
Carson 8%

This is a reason to believe Cruz will win it. He should get the majority of the Rubio vote, and while Trump will have risen nationally by that point, he'll get less than his 38% nationally in Wisconsin. It should be low enough for Cruz to pull it off. Trump will do better in the Fox Cities and rurals. Cruz will do best in the MKE suburbs, where half the Republicans prefer Bernie Sanders to Trump.

We really need a new poll soon. I have a feeling that Kasich's Midwestern-Nice is going pull a big number from the Rubio folks who that Cruz is too conservative/out there. Also I assume most of Carson's vote will go to Trump.

Another interesting point about Wisconsin is that it will be the first contest on the Republican side after a two week break from this Tuesday in Arizona and Utah. That's a lot of time to campaign in the state.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2016, 04:16:53 AM »

Lean Cruz.
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2016, 04:17:40 PM »

Trump wins narrowly. I think Trump wins around Milwaukee, Ted wins Western and Northern WI, Fox valley is split, Kasich wins Dane county.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2016, 04:32:43 PM »

Trump wins narrowly. I think Trump wins around Milwaukee, Ted wins Western and Northern WI, Fox valley is split, Kasich wins Dane county.

The Milwaukee suburbs, while very conservative, are very establishment conservative. Look how big they went for Romney 4 years ago. I expect Cruz to do extreamly well there, with Kasich making a decent dent. Trump will do well in the inner more blue collar suburbs (West Allis, Glendale, Greenfield, St. Francis, etc) what Republicans are left in the city itself, and probably some of the exurban cities like Sheboygan.
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2016, 05:10:08 PM »

I did see a big Trump sticker plastered across the whole back windshield of a truck so Trump should do well in my area. Tongue More seriously I do think Trump will do well in the north. Kasich should be able to get at least as much support statewide as he did in MI and IL.
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2016, 05:19:52 PM »

The Milwaukee suburbs, while very conservative, are very establishment conservative. Look how big they went for Romney 4 years ago. I expect Cruz to do extreamly well there, with Kasich making a decent dent. Trump will do well in the inner more blue collar suburbs (West Allis, Glendale, Greenfield, St. Francis, etc) what Republicans are left in the city itself, and probably some of the exurban cities like Sheboygan.

I tend to think Waukesha county gets split between money GOP backing Kasich and Jesus GOP backing Cruz, with Trump winning everyone else. I think Trump carries all 4 metro MKE counties. Cruzi might have a better shot at Washington County and Fond-du-Lac through Green Bay.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies