Rubio: I'm quitting politics forever... no 2nd Senate term/Governor/VP/2020
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:26:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Rubio: I'm quitting politics forever... no 2nd Senate term/Governor/VP/2020
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Rubio: I'm quitting politics forever... no 2nd Senate term/Governor/VP/2020  (Read 6681 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 17, 2016, 09:09:03 PM »

I'm not sure where to put this... but it seemed noteworthy.

Rubio appeared in DC again and took a few questions from the press. Saying he's going to serve out the rest of his term, but then he's looking forward to being a private citizen. Explicitly ruled out becoming VP, running for Governor, second term as Senator, etc.

He said he's simply done with politics.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 09:09:34 PM »

Cry
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 09:10:22 PM »

He can always change his mind 8 or 10 years down the road. He just wanted to close off the next few cycles.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 09:10:42 PM »
« Edited: March 17, 2016, 09:14:18 PM by Ronnie »

Losing by 19 points in his home state probably crushed his spirit.

But yeah, I do think he'll change his mind at some point.  He just needs to introspect for a while to heal from the primary campaign.  I have to admit that I wouldn't shed a tear if he really does quit forever, though.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 09:11:57 PM »

He will be back...but he won't win and he'll be banished back to irrelevance. He actually stands a chance to be the next Harold Stassen IMO.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 09:12:29 PM »

As much as I'd like this to be true, I doubt it.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 09:12:40 PM »

Wow TRUMP really did a number on him.
trickmind
Rookie
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 09:13:50 PM »

He ought to look for talk radio host jobs or something if he wants to be politically relevant. I think Florida is done with him.
Panda Express

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 09:15:33 PM »

I hope all other politicians have learned a valuable lesson - never attack Donald Trump's hands.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 09:19:38 PM »

He didn't explicitly rule out a 2020 run, and I suspect he'll explore it if he feels the atmosphere is right. Shame, because I was actually starting to like him. He'll probably join Fox or something to stay in the picture without being in office.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2016, 09:24:22 PM »

RIP HP
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2016, 09:32:58 PM »

He's finished as a Presidential candidate, that's for sure.

I can't see him running for Bill Nelson's seat in 2018.  He'll be hammered with the absenteeism issue.

I thought he MIGHT try to keep his present seat, but maybe his poll numbers are so bad that he'd lose to Democrat Patrick Murphy.

As for being Governor:  He'd be cutting in line of Adam Putnam (who has deep support), Pam Bondi (who endorsed Trump) and possibly others.  Those two, however, would be tough enough for Rubio to beat.

The safety net Cruz and Obama had was (A) they had independent followings and (B) weren't up for re-election the year they ran for President.  Ditto (A) on Rand Paul, who got out in time to run for re-election to the Senate.  Rubio gambled it all and lost.  He can't go back to a lesser office; even being a mere Congressman would be an incredible comedown.  And there's no reason to think he could even get elected to Congress at this point.  His absenteeism would be used against him at every turn.  On top of that, he'd have the problem of not being taken seriously.  No one would think he was serious about being a legislator in a lower house; everyone would be waiting for him to grab the brass ring.  

Then, too, there's the issue of what district Marco would run for.  He might be a good fit for one of the Cuban seat in Miami, but Ileana Ros-Lethinen shows no sign I know of that she's planning to retire.  Ditto Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart (R-Miami).  He could run for Carlos Cuerbalo's seat if a Democrat win it this year, but what if he runs and loses?  He's toast.

I think Marco came to realize that he's a guy with powerful friends and a light resume.  He needs to bulk up that resume in ways that will allow him to re-enter politics at the top.  The only man in politics I can think of that got knocked off, then went back down to a lower level and came back was Jerry Brown (and, maybe, Claude Pepper).  Rubio needs to get jobs that give him real stature, the kind that Richard Nixon held down during his year in New York City.  He could be the next Dick Nixon (without Watergate, I hope).  He could also be the next Dan Quayle.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2016, 09:37:16 PM »

Um....no.  He didn't say that at all.  Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8HmzYcgtPE

All he said was that he was ruling out running as VP, ruling out running for reelection for his Senate seat this year, and that he wasn't running for governor.

He didn't rule out a future run for office (whether that be president again in 2020, or any other office in the future).  See the part of the video at 6:17, where he's asked about a future run, and he responds "I'm not running for governor and I'm not running for reelection to the Senate, and beyond that who knows."

For that matter, go to 1:20.  He doesn't even rule out winning the nomination for president this year in a contested convention.  He just says that it's not something he's thinking about.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2016, 09:45:15 PM »

For that matter, go to 1:20.  He doesn't even rule out winning the nomination for president this year in a contested convention.  He just says that it's not something he's thinking about.
#marcomentum
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2016, 09:45:29 PM »

Is there any doubt that he'll be a "consultant" making more than he did in the Senate by this time next year?
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2016, 09:46:09 PM »

Cue the fireworks.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2016, 09:46:58 PM »

I believe they should say it. I don't mind reporters saying it. I would hope that in the future, as a result of this campaign, that perhaps they would try at least simply to see that what all candidates say is reported, that if they have questions to ask of one candidate they ask the same questions of the other candidate.

The last play. I leave you gentlemen now and you now write it. You will interpret it. That's your right. But as I leave you I want you to know- just think how much you're going to be missing.

You won't have Rubio to kick around any more, because, gentlemen, this is my last press conference and it will be one in which I have welcomed the opportunity to test wits with you. I have always respected you. I have sometimes disagreed with you.

But, unlike some people, I've never canceled a subscription to a paper and also I never will.

I believe in reading what my opponents say and I hope that what I have said today will at least make television, radio, the press, first recognize the great responsibility they have to report all the news and, second, recognize that they have a right and a responsibility, if they're against a candidate, give them the shaft, but also recognize if they give them the shaft, put one lonely reporter on the campaign who will report what the candidate says now and then.

Thank you, gentlemen, and good day.
trickmind
Rookie
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2016, 09:48:18 PM »

Is there any doubt that he'll be a "consultant" making more than he did in the Senate by this time next year?

My bet is host of a FOX News show.

It worked for Kasich!
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2016, 09:56:20 PM »

Losing FL pretty much ended his Veep chances.  Same with gov.  I expect he has a lucrative career ahead of him as a lobbiest for the sugar industry. 
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2016, 10:06:14 PM »

"you don't have Nixon to kick around any more, because, gentlemen, this is my last press conference."

Richard Nixon after losing 1962 gubernatorial election in California.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2016, 10:08:11 PM »

Um....no.  He didn't say that at all.  Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8HmzYcgtPE

All he said was that he was ruling out running as VP, ruling out running for reelection for his Senate seat this year, and that he wasn't running for governor.

He didn't rule out a future run for office (whether that be president again in 2020, or any other office in the future).  See the part of the video at 6:17, where he's asked about a future run, and he responds "I'm not running for governor and I'm not running for reelection to the Senate, and beyond that who knows."

For that matter, go to 1:20.  He doesn't even rule out winning the nomination for president this year in a contested convention.  He just says that it's not something he's thinking about.

He looks and sounds utterly defeated in that video. He also looks like he's balding more. Trump really did a number on him. We need some TRUMP brand hair restoration gel for Rubio and Nate Silver.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2016, 10:08:29 PM »

"you don't have Nixon to kick around any more, because, gentlemen, this is my last press conference."

But Nixon was an able politician, you see.
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2016, 10:10:04 PM »

Bit of a pity, was expecting Rubio to be back in the Senate Sad I wish Senator Rubio all the best for his future.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2016, 10:11:50 PM »

But Nixon was an able politician, you see.

Not exactly a man of his word, though I guess that meshes with being an able politician. 
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2016, 10:16:21 PM »

I don't blame him.  The Senate (and congress in general) must be a frustrating place to work. 

I wonder, if Rubio fails to win the nomination will he try to run for Governor?
I was the first person to say this and atlas attacked me. Rubio was always planning on running for governor if his presidential bid did not work

People attacked you over that? I thought it was common knowledge that he will run for governor in case his POTUS run is unsuccessful. Governor sets him up nicely for a second run in the 2020s

As much as doing nothing?

It depends who Rubio loses to, primary or general, badly or respectably, on what issues. But at this point, I'd say he's likely to run again in 4 years and being elected governor in 2 years is one of the few things that could make it very hard to do that.

I would be more willing to put money on the idea that Rubio will lose the primary this year, run for Governor of Florida in 2018, win, and run for President in 2024 after two terms of Hillary.

Lose the primary to Trump?

If Trump wins the primary, and Rubio comes in 2nd or 3rd ahead of the many governors running, what the hell is his incentive to run for governor? (Unless of course, it's a big paycheck and he doesn't have to show up.)

Even if he can't make enough of a comeback to win the nomination, he might be able to make enough of a comeback to set himself up for 2020.  For Christie and a few of the other candidates, I wonder how much the 2020 race will factor into their decision on when to drop out of this race.

You also reminded me of how wrong everyone is who thinks Rubio will run for governor in 2018 if he doesn't win. It's one thing to get re-elected governor while you're running for president, another to get elected the first time.

We have to dispel with this notion that Marco Rubio is going to run for governor of Florida in 2018. I've been repeating this again and again.

What is Rubio going to say when asked during a 2018 campaign if he will launch a run for president his first year in office? Will he deny it and then reverse himself? Be non-committal? A governor running for re-election is a different case. Is there any example of someone launching a campaign for president and decamping for Iowa and New Hampshire in their 1st year as a governor? The closest examples are California governors Reagan in 1968 and Jerry Brown in 1976 but campaigns started later in those days. Even if Rubio tried a Fall entry- unlikely giving his focus on a war chest- what new experience would he be able to talk about having now? Blowing off a different job? He'll be attacked again and this time will say "We have to dispel with this notion that President Clinton doesn't know what she's doing…"

Also, what if he ran and lost?!

It makes no sense to set up a 2020 run with a 2018 gub run. It makes somewhat more sense to set up a 2024 run, except then you're taking 2020 off the table and I assume he's running in 4 years whether he wins or loses this time, unless a Republican is elected.  But also if Rubio is not the nominee, it will likely be Cruz or Trump who are not exactly evidence that what Rubio was missing was a governor stint on his resume. Even if we get President Cruz or Trump and Rubio plans to wait for 2024, I think he's more likely to try to make as much money as he can than to run for governor. If we get President Clinton or Sanders, I assume Rubio will begin his 2020 campaign before the end of November and announce a pass on a guber run pretty quickly.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies