Opinion of mixing spaghetti sauce and mayo?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:08:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of mixing spaghetti sauce and mayo?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: What do you think about mixing spaghetti sauce and mayo?
Freedom Combo

Horrible Combo

Other (explain)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Opinion of mixing spaghetti sauce and mayo?  (Read 4997 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2016, 10:11:38 AM »

I've never seen the first of those three things. How is it substantially different from tomato paste?

Thinner....less intense tomato flavor.....totally common here in PA at least....I'm shocked it's not the same everywhere when it comes to this.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2016, 11:17:53 AM »

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2016, 06:19:41 PM »

I do many, many wonderful things with mayonnaise, but I cannot say that it has ever occurred to me to mix it with spaghetti sauce.

voted other. 
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2016, 10:53:28 AM »

I do many, many wonderful things with mayonnaise,

You sick bastard.  But at least you didn't TMI us here.  Wink
Stm85
Rookie
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2016, 04:29:07 PM »

Doesn't sound like it would taste very good. What exactly would this sauce combo go with?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2016, 07:11:39 PM »

Doesn't sound like it would taste very good. What exactly would this sauce combo go with?

I'm thinking...   French Fries!  I haven't tried it though.  As the grumpy bastard has already pointed out, I generally prefer my mayonnaise pure when I put it on French Fries, but I have been known to occasionally mix in a little salsa picante de habanero with the mayo when I put it on fries.  Maybe a little spaghetti sauce would be okay as well, depending upon what type of "spaghetti sauce" we're talking about.

I'm not entirely sold on the idea, but let's be clear.  First, we have to established what the OP means by "spaghetti sauce."  Are we talking about marinara sauce or bolognese sauce?  Primavera or wine-based?  Are we talking about one of those non-standard types of spaghetti sauces, such as niçoise, alfredo, lemon, caper, or even a chinese soy-based variety? 

Also, are we talking about one of those canned or bottled concoctions--which are invariably a combination of ketchup and salt and should never be purchased under any circumstances--or are we talking about the proper kind, which you make at home over a period of several hours on a low heat, starting out with sauttéed, freshly-cut garlic cloves and fresh onions, then adding green peppers, and mushrooms, and, after the vegetables have clarified, a copious amount of canned tomato paste and canned halved tomatoes in their own juice, along with herbs from the garden (especially basil and rosemary)?

In some of those cases, the mayo might be a nice accompaniment.  For example, I can imagine finely-diced jalapenos, mayonnaise, copious garlic, cayenne pepper, yellow onions, and some pulled, salted chicken breast making a reasonable topping for boiled spaghetti, served with a tart pinot grigio or even a young chardonnay.

In any case, I would not combine the mayonnaise with a regular tomato-based marinara-type sauce as a topping for noodles, although I might consider putting it on french fries, so long as there's some cayenne pepper or other capsaicin-laced spice dispersed throughout the medium.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2016, 12:29:01 AM »

So I discovered Heinz chili sauce... and it is so perfect for my Minnesotan palate.  We joke that we only have the holy trinity of seasonings:  salt, pepper, and ketchup.. so color me amazed when I found Heinz Chili sauce... which was apparently much more popular in the past and is used in all kinds of middish 20th century recipes (30s-80s).

It's basically like a more ketchupy ketchup.  It's a bit less sweet and a bit more vinegary which is a big hit.  Plus it has dehydrated onions in it like McDonald's cheeseburgers.

Apparently it is the base for thousand island and Russian salad dressing (chili sauce and mayonnaise) as well as cocktail sauce (just add horseradish).  It is also apparently used in those party meatballs where you mix it with cranberry sauce and cook the meatballs in them until it turns into a syrupy glaze.

But I would totally dip french fries in it or put it on a burger.

Who knew?

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2016, 05:43:29 PM »
« Edited: March 25, 2016, 06:47:58 PM by angus »

Tried it today!  Well, not in the abstract, but I ended up basically creating salsa spaghetti con maionese.  è molto buono.

It is a public school holiday so I took the boy to my office today.  I had an office hour, a lecture, and a listen to a student's 40-minute practice seminar.  By noon I was finished.  My son always likes to go to the big buffet hall when he's on campus, so that's where we went for lunch.  Eight dollars for me, four for him, all you care to eat.  (They should charge him full price because he eats more than most grown-ups.)  One of my favorite items there is the big hot italian sausage links--arteries be damned!--and I generally insert the sausage into in a lightly-toasted crusty sourdough bâtard.  Nearby there's a bucket of freshly-sautéed mushroom, green pepper, and onion that I dollop liberally on top of my italian sausage, along with a few pickled, sliced jalapeños.  Then I smother the whole thing in sauce.  There are a couple of choices:  one is sort of a bolognese and the other is more of a marina sauce.  I prefer the marinara.  There are also various pastas and such, but I stick to the red meat and red sauce on sourdough.  I also filled a tub of mayonnaise and brought it back to the table for my curly fries.  (Mayonnaise is the best condiment for straight fries, of course, but it's even better on the crispy, spicy curly fries.)  As I stared at that tub of mayo next to my plate, I conceived the idea of rolling the italian sausage over just a bit to expose the inner bread of the bun.  It wasn't quite dry, as a bit of lipid had leaked from the sausage making it greasy already, but it was otherwise unadulterated at that point.  I dipped my butter knife into the mayo and slathered it liberally onto the bun, then rolled the sausage back over to let the mushroom, onion, pepper, and marinara sauce mingle with the mayonnaise.  Mmmm.  Delicious and well lubricated.  I can say now that I approve of mixing mayonnaise with marinara sauce under certain conditions.

It being Good Friday, of course there were also Gorton's-style breaded fish filets and copious amounts of tartar sauce on hand.  A hearty bowl of clam chowder, a dill spear, and a waffle cone chock-full of black cherry ice cream rounded off a well-balanced lunch.  

For the afternoon outing, and a chance to burn off all that adipose, we drove to Overlook Park, strapped on the in-line skates, and tooled around the asphalt trails, right up to Skate Park, where a few tattooed, pierced, twenty-something bros were showing off their longboard skills on the ramps and half pipes.  I wasn't quite up to the challenge, but the boy managed to pull off a few fine spills.  He was, by prior agreement, clad and bundled in elbow pads, knee pads, and a helmet, so it wasn't as bad as it otherwise might have been, although clearly we were the most uncool duo there.  None of the other guys bothered to wear even helmets.  
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies