Tom Perez being considered for Veep
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:34:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Tom Perez being considered for Veep
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Tom Perez being considered for Veep  (Read 2872 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 18, 2016, 05:46:09 PM »

http://www.politico.com/blogs/2016-dem-primary-live-updates-and-results/2016/03/tom-perez-vice-president-clinton-220959

It looks like a Trump/ Brown v Clinton /Perez race
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 06:18:18 PM »

Perez can secure 272 freiwal for Democs; with Duckworth; Hassen, McGINTY; CCM♥♥; Bennit; Murphy and Strickland winning anyways; per 290 OH+VA route also securing Kirkpatrick. Senit pickup is definate; though. HILARY will be a 272 president.

Are you pretending to be OC?
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 06:20:38 PM »

I literally didn't know who that was. If she were to pick any cabinet secretary it would obviously be Castro.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 06:20:51 PM »

I think Castro will be picked, because he has the youth vote. Clinton put Perez name out, so that another name is given other than Castro. But, Castro will be picked, already endorsed by Trumka and SEIU.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 07:13:38 PM »

Why would Clinton pick a Hispanic VP in an election against Trump? Trump would effectively do Clinton's Hispanic outreach work for her.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 07:37:08 PM »

No, the subject line is wrong.  There is no evidence that he's being considered for veep.  The story just said that Perez was asked if he'd be interested in being Clinton's running mate, and he dodged the question.  How do you get from there to "Tom Perez being considered for Veep"?
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 07:41:48 PM »

The OP article doesn't specifically mention it, but Perez' name has been mentioned in the past.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/18/politics/tom-perez-vice-president-hillary-clinton-chatter-donald-trump/
You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/politics/2016/03/14/labor-secretary-tom-perez-mentioned-as-possible-presidential-running-mate/

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/tom-perez-the-dark-horse-vice-presidential-pick-203317556.html
RJEvans
MasterRegal
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 07:45:51 PM »

I think the top two are Castro and Warren. Castro to excite Hispanics and Warren to excite the Bernie base.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 10:18:42 PM »

She won't pick Castro because she doesn't think he's experienced enough and he doesn't speak Spanish.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 10:30:54 PM »
« Edited: March 18, 2016, 10:32:32 PM by Likely Voter »

speaking Espaņol, here is another article from Politico about the Perez veep buzz. Which included this bit...
Being a campaign surrogate is often a road test for potential veeps. 

Politico piece also has this bit...

So he is progressive to satisfy the Bernie Bros, the unions love him which is good for ground game support and money and he is Latino (and actually speaks Spanish). And he is yet another member of the Obama admin, who was asst. AG in charge of civil rights (which should help with the African Americans).  

Downsides are no elected office and not from a swing state (MD) and generally not well known
RJEvans
MasterRegal
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2016, 10:57:14 PM »

speaking Espaņol, here is another article from Politico about the Perez veep buzz. Which included this bit...
Being a campaign surrogate is often a road test for potential veeps. 

Politico piece also has this bit...

So he is progressive to satisfy the Bernie Bros, the unions love him which is good for ground game support and money and he is Latino (and actually speaks Spanish). And he is yet another member of the Obama admin, who was asst. AG in charge of civil rights (which should help with the African Americans).  

Downsides are no elected office and not from a swing state (MD) and generally not well known

If she selects him I see him taking the Cheney route and say he won't run for POTUS.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2016, 11:08:51 PM »

Of the current Obama cabinet, Vilsack would be the best VP choice.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2016, 11:11:07 PM »

I'm fine with any Veep as long as they do no harm.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2016, 05:26:34 AM »

TRUMP won't pick Brown.

Hillary should pick either Kaine or Castro.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2016, 05:30:20 AM »

No, the subject line is wrong.  There is no evidence that he's being considered for veep.  The story just said that Perez was asked if he'd be interested in being Clinton's running mate, and he dodged the question.  How do you get from there to "Tom Perez being considered for Veep"?

Mr Morden are you interested in being Clinton's running mate?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2016, 05:31:09 AM »

UPDATE: telltale silence from Morden suggests he is likely being considered for role of Hillary's veep
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2016, 06:05:36 AM »

I think its Tom Perex, she doesnt really need a splash at Veep. Castro is too inexperienced anyways. She wants to make a coherent aguement about the economy and Labir Secretary is part of that. STAY tuned...
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2016, 06:31:19 AM »

That would be very interesting. Too sad that foreigners are not eligible. I myself would love it to be TRUMP's running mate Smiley
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2016, 07:14:07 AM »

That would be very interesting. Too sad that foreigners are not eligible. I myself would love it to be TRUMP's running mate Smiley

I'm American.  I live in Australia now, but am still a citizen of the USA.  However, isn't there a residency requirement on prez/VP?  That might be the disqualification for me.  Otherwise, I'd obviously be on Hillary Clinton's short list.
rob in cal
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2016, 11:09:06 AM »

If Clinton picks an Hispanic VP I thing if they don't speak Spanish that might actually be a plus, as an indicator that they were picked based on their qualification, not some identity politics check list.  Also, such a person might resonate with the ever growing percentage of Hispanic voters who either don't speak Spanish at all, or not fluently.  With every passing year I bet this percentage grows a little bit.  Plus, non Hispanic swing voters might find that fact appealing as well.  Just my dos centavos.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2016, 11:32:02 AM »

I know it won't happen, but I still think that Elizabeth Warren would be the smart pick. Yes, it is two older women, but WHAT a power ticket of smart women and Warren negates the fact the Clinton is bad at energizing the base. And contrary to the republican base, which always shows up, the democratic base actually does have a turnout problem.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2016, 11:46:14 AM »

Even OMalley would be considered before Liz Warren.
Yan
anteloperyan
Rookie

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2016, 04:56:33 PM »

Excellent, if it's true. If Clinton has to go for a Hispanic running mate - something which is looking more and more like an winning tactic, given Trump's flagrant white nationalism - I think she'd do best to keep tacking to the left in the process.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2016, 08:02:39 PM »

Tom Perez is a shady s.o.b. and was the first cabinet nominee ever to be confirmed on a strictly party-line vote in Congress.  He brokered a sketchy deal with St. Paul when he was assistant AG where he would forgive St. Paul for stealing $200MM of stimulus money if they agreed to drop a case that was likely to set a legal precedent he didn't want set.  Look up Magner v. Gallagher.

He also pioneered the abuse of Title IX to allow the government to micromanage school social policies, by saying, in 2009, that a New York school was in violation of Title IX because it didn't do enough to protect an openly gay student from being bullied.  Of course gay students shouldn't be bullied, but this had nothing to do with Title IX and the federal government had no right to be involved.  Since that worked, Title IX is now used by the Obama administration to make all sorts of demands of universities that the administration shouldn't be able to make.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2016, 10:22:25 PM »

I agree with the Lt. Gov's smart insight that Hillary should count on Trump to turn out Hispanics for her and pick Kaine
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies