Why does Trump do better with Republicans that live in less white areas?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:26:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Why does Trump do better with Republicans that live in less white areas?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why does Trump do better with Republicans that live in less white areas?  (Read 977 times)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 19, 2016, 04:21:38 PM »

Other than 'they're racist' or whatever. In almost every state and area imaginable, where there's a high black or Hispanic population, there is a higher than average Trump vote in the Republican primary. We know Republican primaries are >90% white most of the time, so these are not necessarily black or Hispanic voters who have 'a great relationship' with Trump. Is it because these areas fit the Trump demographic - disaffected, poorer, blue collar, less education, etc? Or is there something else behind it?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 04:23:14 PM »

Other than 'they're racist' or whatever. In almost every state and area imaginable, where there's a high black or Hispanic population, there is a higher than average Trump vote in the Republican primary. We know Republican primaries are >90% white most of the time, so these are not necessarily black or Hispanic voters who have 'a great relationship' with Trump. Is it because these areas fit the Trump demographic - disaffected, poorer, blue collar, less education, etc? Or is there something else behind it?

Why bother asking if you already know the answer?
yankeesfan
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 04:23:34 PM »

I don't want to lie to you.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 04:25:47 PM »

Familiarity breeds contempt.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 04:28:26 PM »

So, prejudice/racism is the answer? I thought that was more of a left wing smear than a legitimate answer, but I guess not.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 04:31:53 PM »

So, prejudice/racism is the answer? I thought that was more of a left wing smear than a legitimate answer, but I guess not.

I'd say both sides get more homogenized. You have uniformity in voting of both minorities and whites in mixed areas. I think it's just a normal consequence of two different groups of people living together and the majority group believing they are under siege by the minority group (Homogenization of minority groups is normal and expected).
Cruzcrew
Paleocon
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 04:51:38 PM »

Racial polarization is stronger in diverse areas.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 04:58:30 PM »

One exception was in IL-07. It's a majority black CD that is mostly in Chicago, but includes some inner suburbs. The white areas include the downtown Loop and Oak Park. The Pub delegates in the CD were won by Kasich not Trump.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2016, 07:29:51 PM »

Probably for the same reason John McCain did so well in similar areas.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2016, 10:05:53 PM »

Well:

The Civis Analytics polling over the past six months breaks down Trump support by Congressional district (yes, huge MoE, but it gives a rough idea), and there's overlap between where Trump is strongest in GOP primary support and where there's a disproportionately high share of "racially charged internet searches":

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/31/upshot/donald-trumps-strongest-supporters-a-certain-kind-of-democrat.html

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 07:24:25 AM »

Indeed.  One is less likely to blame the "other" for one's problems when there aren't many "other" around.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2016, 11:54:12 AM »

I actually think it has more to do with income and education. Places where there are large concentrations of minorities are, unfortunately, usually places with lower median wages and lower overall education. Trump generally does well with lower income whites, and his popularity grows as you go down the ladder of education.

Racism is also still very much a part of it, but I feel that this result is more based on income/work type and education.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2016, 05:30:15 PM »

Well:

The Civis Analytics polling over the past six months breaks down Trump support by Congressional district (yes, huge MoE, but it gives a rough idea), and there's overlap between where Trump is strongest in GOP primary support and where there's a disproportionately high share of "racially charged internet searches":

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/31/upshot/donald-trumps-strongest-supporters-a-certain-kind-of-democrat.html

the map on the right has very little correlation with racial/ethnic diversity.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2016, 05:35:22 PM »

Isn't it the opposite in Europe? Don't far right parties traditionally do better in areas where there are less minorities?
MIKESOWELL
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2016, 08:04:32 PM »

Because these cretins live near the objects of their affection.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2016, 08:22:51 PM »

yeah... this didn't follow in MN either.  The blackest areas were Rubio's strongest areas while some of the whitest areas of the state (the Iron Range) were Trump's best (he still came in 2nd).
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2016, 08:54:05 PM »

I actually think it has more to do with income and education. Places where there are large concentrations of minorities are, unfortunately, usually places with lower median wages and lower overall education. Trump generally does well with lower income whites, and his popularity grows as you go down the ladder of education.

Racism is also still very much a part of it, but I feel that this result is more based on income/work type and education.
As a white man who once lived in Luis Gutierrez's district, I think this is the best answer so far.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies