Do you vote the way your demographic profile would imply?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:41:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do you vote the way your demographic profile would imply?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Do you vote the way your demographic profile would imply?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Author Topic: Do you vote the way your demographic profile would imply?  (Read 2089 times)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2016, 01:40:55 PM »

I think so, although the population of LGBT people who have weekly church attendance is probably small enough to bamboozle a lot of profiling software Tongue
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2016, 02:08:03 PM »

I think so, although the population of LGBT people who have weekly church attendance is probably small enough to bamboozle a lot of profiling software Tongue
It's probably something like 15-20%. Low but not to a point where it becomes statistically irrelevant
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2016, 02:18:02 PM »

It's probably something like 15-20%. Low but not to a point where it becomes statistically irrelevant

And of that 15-20%, I wonder how many are new-age hipster churches.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2016, 02:38:23 PM »
« Edited: March 20, 2016, 02:43:55 PM by White Light »

And of that 15-20%, I wonder how many are new-age hipster churches.

Not many.

Traditional but liberal mainline churches are more known for gays.

Also hipster churches are usually pretty orthodox theologically and are not "new age".
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2016, 04:09:18 PM »

I'm a part-white, part-South Asian, gay, liberal mainline Protestant, young male who votes Democratic. 

Overall yes.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2016, 04:19:13 PM »

Eh, I guess I do. At this point there is a significant number of people from my social background who vote to the left, even in France - and most PhD students probably lean left.

That said, my political philosophy is (thankfully!) pretty far from that of the typical young while male lib'rul yuppie. At the very least I like to think I take my commitment to redistribution and feminism more seriously than they do.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2016, 04:29:01 PM »

Young white male is probably lean Trump/GOP, so I guess so, even though it's the stereotypical "Bernie" supporter.  When you take into account that I go to a university in the Bay Area, then no, not at all.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2016, 04:35:29 PM »

Non-religious young white male probably has to be the most libertarian demographic ever.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2016, 07:35:01 PM »

You'd guess that a young irreligious person (gender and race plays less influence politically than in the States IIRC) from the inner-city would vote Greens/Labor, yes. So probably.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2016, 08:27:53 PM »

I'm a gay white non-religious older millennial.  I support Bernie Sanders.  Of course I vote like my demographic profile.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2016, 10:27:34 PM »

Not at all. My age, race, location, background, etc. would all point to me supporting Sanders, but that is certainly not the case.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2016, 10:41:31 PM »

Young white male is probably lean Trump/GOP, so I guess so, even though it's the stereotypical "Bernie" supporter.  When you take into account that I go to a university in the Bay Area, then no, not at all.
Even young white males break for the Democrats by a large margin.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2016, 10:55:12 PM »

Male, mixed Arab-European ancestry, Muslim somewhat practicing, early 20's millenial, straight? Lol nope, I should be a conservaDem right now.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2016, 11:15:20 PM »

Young middle class white male cishet scum; would be either hard liberal or hard libertarian; I guess I'm between the two.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2016, 11:20:03 PM »

False.

http://www.people-press.org/2012/11/26/young-voters-supported-obama-less-but-may-have-mattered-more/

Obama’s support among young voters declined among many of the same subgroups in the overall electorate in which he lost ground, particularly whites, men and independents. Obama won a majority of white non-Hispanics under 30 in 2008, but lost this group to Romney this year. In contrast, Obama won young African Americans and Hispanics by margins that were about as large as in 2008.

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2016, 11:33:38 PM »

Young white male is probably lean Trump/GOP, so I guess so, even though it's the stereotypical "Bernie" supporter.  When you take into account that I go to a university in the Bay Area, then no, not at all.

False.

http://www.people-press.org/2012/11/26/young-voters-supported-obama-less-but-may-have-mattered-more/

Obama’s support among young voters declined among many of the same subgroups in the overall electorate in which he lost ground, particularly whites, men and independents. Obama won a majority of white non-Hispanics under 30 in 2008, but lost this group to Romney this year. In contrast, Obama won young African Americans and Hispanics by margins that were about as large as in 2008.

Of course these numbers (along with all numbers involving the white vote) are heavily skewed by the South.

Obama actually won non-Southern whites in 2008. Doubt he did in 2012 though.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2016, 11:52:47 PM »

Young white male is probably lean Trump/GOP, so I guess so, even though it's the stereotypical "Bernie" supporter.  When you take into account that I go to a university in the Bay Area, then no, not at all.

False.

Of course these numbers (along with all numbers involving the white vote) are heavily skewed by the South.

Obama actually won non-Southern whites in 2008. Doubt he did in 2012 though.

Agreed, which is why I said if you stratify my demographic (young white males) by geography too (Bay Area for college), it changes the game.  But young white males are a definite Romney bloc, if young whites in general backed him.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2016, 12:21:08 AM »

False.

I was going off of the USAToday poll that showed whites under 35 preferring Clinton over Trump 45-26.  Obviously there are a lot of undecideds but off the bat Hillary is nearly 2-1 over Trump.

It's safe to assume that young white males still prefer Hillary to Trump of those that have decided... but I'd imagine most of those under 35 white Hillary supporters for the general currently support Sanders.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2016, 12:36:50 AM »

I vote the way I do because of my demographic profile.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2016, 12:43:10 AM »

I'm a millennial PhD student at a state university, the son of a life-long public employee, who grew up in a liberal region of a liberal state. This implies a liberal alignment.

I'm also a straight, married, white man who actively practices Catholicism, implying a more conservative alignment.

Taken together, a communitarian-lean actually isn't that surprising at all.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2016, 12:54:39 AM »

Uh, no they don't. Romney won white 18-29s by 7 points overall, which means he likely carried white male 18-29s by double digits.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2016, 02:14:27 AM »

Uh, no they don't. Romney won white 18-29s by 7 points overall, which means he likely carried white male 18-29s by double digits.
When I read this thread I thought it was "will you vote the way your demographic profile would imply" so I based my statements on the recent polling for the 2016 race.

In fact, if you had actually read the thread, you, uh, would have seen that I already, uh, explained this.  How old was RFayette back in 2012?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2016, 07:53:33 AM »

Based on my profile I should be a more enthusiastic Sanders supporter than I am.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2016, 08:40:03 AM »

Probably. Young White Male, Gay, Non-religious, lower middle class. Lean D probably demographics wise.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2016, 08:42:20 AM »

Straight, White, college-educated male from an affluent, mainline Protestant family.

I'd say I'm pretty damn stereotypical in my political views, LOL.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies