McConnell rules out confirming Garland in lame duck
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:56:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  McConnell rules out confirming Garland in lame duck
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: McConnell rules out confirming Garland in lame duck  (Read 2909 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2016, 08:34:00 PM »

The more I think about it, the more I think Garland really is Obama's top choice for this seat.  He doesn't seem to have much personal desire to recreate the Warren Court.  In interviews, he worries (almost to a fault?) about future judicial overreach creating electoral backlash against the left.  He is most concerned about Democrats being free enact their agenda legislatively or by executive action as they see fit.  Looking at his past appointees, Sotomayor might join in some future wildly left-wing ruling, but I don't see Kagan doing that either.

Well one thing that makes me doubt Garland was even in his original top 3 is his age. He is too old and I just can't see why Obama would nominate someone who would end up retiring/passing away only 15 or so years later. Surely he could, given the chance, find a nominee that is younger and meets his personal criteria.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2016, 12:05:51 AM »

Most likely he's just lying. Right now, there is no benefit at all to saying he would do this, because that would go completely against his "The next president should choose" narrative. He would look like a massive liar and a hypocrite.

Though... Not that he isn't one already Roll Eyes

He doesn't have to lie. Mitch McConnell might believe every word of what he says.

Paradoxically, should he stick to such a policy he practically ensures a narrow window in which the new Senate (with a Democratic majority due to the loss of so many incumbent Senators) gets to confirm a new Justice in the time between January 3 and January 20.

The function of the Senate in confirming a Justice is to reject an extremist, corrupt, unqualified, incompetent judge or politician for the US Supreme Court -- or someone simply a crony of the President. That is how Fortas, Carswell, Bork, and Miers got rejected.

If the appointee fits the normal standards, then the Senate needs to do its job. Elections have consequences. Barack Obama got re-elected.

Messing up the judiciary in a gamble to protect a 'conservative' majority on the Supreme Court is not simply bad policy; it's bad politics!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies