Opinion of referring to the Labour party as 'Labor'?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:12:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of referring to the Labour party as 'Labor'?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: So?
FP
HP
Iain Duncan Smith would be a communist in the US
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Opinion of referring to the Labour party as 'Labor'?  (Read 2131 times)
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2016, 02:59:02 PM »

I was being hyperbolic obviously, but yeah, it kinda annoys me for some reason. Maybe because I want to be a patriotic 'Murican, or because I'm a mild Anglophobe. Tongue I don't know, it just sounds off. The American way feels more straightforward and authentic.

You're not even an American.

I'm culturally American. Grin

No you're not. Tongue

I was obviously trolling BRTD, but I knew some dumbass would soon come over and not get it. Roll Eyes Wink

You can quickly become culturally American by making a purchase at the gun show nearest you Cheesy
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2016, 06:29:46 AM »

Horrible. Just Horrible.

I only use the term "Labor Party" to refer to Israel's center-left party or the Australian Labor Party. It's Labour Party in the cases of the UK and Ireland.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2016, 08:02:17 AM »

In countries that use the British spelling of the word, I think it's pretty awful and intellectually dishonest.

I prefer British spellings —The Queen's English is best English. Tongue
And Z is pronounced "zed." 

Anyway, the language differences between American and British English have always annoyed me.  Brits were speaking English way before Americans were, so I don't see what right we have to mess with it.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2016, 09:12:00 AM »

Anyway, the language differences between American and British English have always annoyed me.  Brits were speaking English way before Americans were, so I don't see what right we have to mess with it.

lol
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2016, 09:16:30 AM »

In countries that use the British spelling of the word, I think it's pretty awful and intellectually dishonest.

You say that as if the English spoken in England today is the same as it was in 1780.  It's not.  They've changed, so have we (and so has all her other colonies).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2016, 09:24:10 AM »

I see that you have never visited the Black Country or the Forest of Dean Grin
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2016, 09:48:45 AM »

I didn't know what you meant, until a little Google Fu....the wiki for Black Country dialect.  But that kind of just puts a stamp on my point, most English don't speak the same English they spoke 300 years ago.  Neither do Americans (or Aussies or Kiwis or our canuckleheaded northern cousins).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2016, 11:55:31 AM »

lol

That's a strangely... French view of language.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2016, 12:35:57 PM »

But that kind of just puts a stamp on my point, most English don't speak the same English they spoke 300 years ago.  Neither do Americans (or Aussies or Kiwis or our canuckleheaded northern cousins).

It's more that it's useful to remember that there's more stability in some regions (many of them quite large) than is always acknowledged, though even within these areas things evolve. When Alan Garner read Sir Gawain and the Green Knight for the first time he noticed that most of the supposedly archaic/extinct words used in it were ones that his father used regularly.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2016, 12:40:22 PM »

Though it's also worth noting that English as a prose language and as a language of officialdom in practice only dates back to the 16th century and spelling was only really standardised a couple of centuries after that. And still isn't in some respects as my use of 'standardised' demonstrates Grin
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2016, 04:46:36 PM »

It's slightly less irritating than 'liberal PM Gordon Brown'.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2016, 07:47:54 AM »

You say that as if the English spoken in England today is the same as it was in 1780.  It's not.  They've changed, so have we (and so has all her other colonies).
True, but I would argue that even British English in its modern form is the purest form of English, because it comes from the region where the language originated.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2016, 10:51:29 AM »

True, but I would argue that even British English in its modern form is the purest form of English, because it comes from the region where the language originated.

Why is language "purity" so important?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies