If Democrats win WH, Senate, & House... should/will Schumer nix the filibuster?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:35:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: If Democrats win WH, Senate, & House... should/will Schumer nix the filibuster?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: If Democrats win WH, Senate, & House... should/will Schumer nix the filibuster?  (Read 955 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 20, 2016, 03:25:11 PM »

(assuming Chuck Schumer is the Majority Leader, since Reid is retiring)

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 03:46:14 PM »

Yes/Hopefully
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 03:48:05 PM »
« Edited: March 20, 2016, 03:50:39 PM by Da-Jon »

Yes, McConnell will never work out a useful agreement,  it will be only a game. Only on Judicial vacancies of course. MINIMIN Wage can go through reconciliation.  And Garland is there to strike down concealed carry weapons.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 03:49:25 PM »

Should they? Yes. As I've said for years, we should return the Senate to requiring an actual talking filibuster to stop things. Will they? Probably not.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 03:51:28 PM »

Should they? Yes. As I've said for years, we should return the Senate to requiring an actual talking filibuster to stop things. Will they? Probably not.

Not on legislation, but on judicial vacancies.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 04:22:56 PM »

Not on legislation, but on judicial vacancies.

I would argue for everything.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 04:26:31 PM »

Dems arent gonna take that chance due to Obamacare, and they can raise minimum wage on reconciliation,  and I would argue if Scalia wouldnt have died, to push getting rid of it due to concealed carry. But, Garland can do that for us.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 12:38:44 AM »

I would hope they would given how fed up the public is for politicians not getting things done. This de facto 60 vote majority required for legislation impeded a lot of things in 2009 - 2011.

I just feel like Senate Democrats will be less likely to put up with endless obstructionism this time around, especially if by miracle they take back all of Congress.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 04:26:53 PM »

Dems did had 60, but Arlen Specter promised Obama, health care reform will be used for his vote. He voted for Bush W tax cuts, he wasnt going to take that on right away.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 09:28:42 PM »

Should he? Yeah, I think there should be some effort to take it back.

Will he? Considering that Republicans to retake the Senate in 2018 is almost a certain preposition in the event that Democrats take the Senate in 2016 (even with trump as the candidate, not a certain thing at all), he certainly won't.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 11:31:18 PM »

I certainly don't think that they should get rid of it the moment they enter office, nor do I think they will. So for me it depends on what the GOP is filibustering. If the Dems can't get a perfectly reasonable Supreme Court candidate through due to a filibuster, then I would favor getting rid of it. If the GOP stonewalls every minor piece of legislation, then I would also probably get rid of it.

But if a reasonable number of Republican Senators show a willingness to work towards bipartisan legislation, then I wouldn't want to get rid of it, since it would empower Republicans to pass huge tax cuts and other bills without having to worry about a filibuster or the Byrd Rule. I think that Republicans are likely to have the majority in the Senate more often than not over the next decade, so I don't think the Dems should get rid of the filibuster unless the reward for it is huge or they just can't govern with it in place.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2016, 10:04:07 AM »

I don't know what he will do, but he should. Filibusters are a scam. Majority is majority. End of story.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2016, 10:30:21 AM »

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2016, 07:11:12 PM »

I certainly don't think that they should get rid of it the moment they enter office, nor do I think they will. So for me it depends on what the GOP is filibustering. If the Dems can't get a perfectly reasonable Supreme Court candidate through due to a filibuster, then I would favor getting rid of it. If the GOP stonewalls every minor piece of legislation, then I would also probably get rid of it.

But if a reasonable number of Republican Senators show a willingness to work towards bipartisan legislation, then I wouldn't want to get rid of it, since it would empower Republicans to pass huge tax cuts and other bills without having to worry about a filibuster or the Byrd Rule. I think that Republicans are likely to have the majority in the Senate more often than not over the next decade, so I don't think the Dems should get rid of the filibuster unless the reward for it is huge or they just can't govern with it in place.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2016, 10:41:57 PM »

That's why Reconciliation will be used to get rid of sequestration.  The Nuclear Option is only known for Judicial vacancies, which was provoked in 2005, by Bill Frist, not Reid.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies