Gallup: For First Time, Majority in U.S. Oppose Nuclear Energy. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:11:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gallup: For First Time, Majority in U.S. Oppose Nuclear Energy. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gallup: For First Time, Majority in U.S. Oppose Nuclear Energy.  (Read 2004 times)
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« on: March 20, 2016, 07:25:38 PM »

It's like the Trump campaign made people's opinions go awful on every issue.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 09:22:38 PM »

I don't think you can view the lack of a breakthrough as proof that research is lacking--I have no idea how govt or private  funding of nuclear research compares to past funding, but it certainly exists.  Even if the US weren't to embrace it,  I think the incentive still exists in the supposition that the Chinese will try anything, and there's money to be made off of that. (You could say similar things about "clean coal" research too) Also, while there haven't been any new nuclear plants in the US for some time there have been advancements in extending the life of current plants and several successful uprating projects.  There's also been the notable failure of SONGS out in California. 

The US has numerous rules effectively forbidding things like fuel reprocessing and the construction of test reactors. Compared to the alternative energy areas, nuclear receives negligible research support--and much of what it does get is dedicated to fusion. In our current setup, it would be nigh impossible to ever have a breakthrough, at least in the US.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies