Does hard work pay off?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:37:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Does hard work pay off?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Does hard work pay off?
Yes/R

No/R

Yes/D

No/D

Yes/Ind.

No/Ind.

Yes/Other

No/Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 58

Author Topic: Does hard work pay off?  (Read 776 times)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 20, 2016, 08:28:14 PM »

Super simple question, but I think it has a lot of political undertones and ramifications. With the current economy and the engrained privileges people at the top enjoy, do you believe that working hard really pays off or is actually worthwhile?

Lately, I'm really starting to believe that the correlation between "success" and "merit" is pretty limited. Maybe it's because I was duped into following my heart and studying what I was interested in rather than going for the sure bet. It never really sunk in that reality would smack me in the face at the end of university.
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 08:35:36 PM »

Speaking from personal experience, it certainly does (R).
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 08:45:15 PM »

it can, but that is increasingly unlikely (normal)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 09:26:25 PM »

Only insofar that it creates more chances for good luck.

Being in the right place, at the right time matters a lot more than pure merit.

That said, success or no, it is worthwhile because of the sense of accomplishment and use it gives the mind. Use or lose with anything is the name of the game.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 09:32:25 PM »

it can, but that is increasingly unlikely (normal)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 10:07:53 PM »

on occasion.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 10:14:10 PM »

Usually, but the payout isn't as big, fast, or flashy as typically envisioned. We tend to overrate our own contribution to things.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 10:21:20 PM »

Yes.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 11:39:18 PM »
« Edited: March 20, 2016, 11:42:21 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market »

Am I seriously the first No (R) vote? I guess I'm not surprised seeing as my economic views are not my reason for being there or remotely aligned, but this is a very, very obvious answer to me. We have extremely limited control over our fate and as talented as you are, it's entirely in the hands of others. Sure, you can set yourself up on occasion, but the correlation you mention Hagrid, is definitely not there. Anyone can set themselves up regardless of merit, and I wouldn't necessarily consider that hard work.

Note, this is a different answer than I gave to a similar question from DC Al if the "system" is working for those allowed into it (I believe it mostly is). Most will see at least modest success and comfort, but I'd imagine once you segment it into things like education, the intragroup correlation is even less.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 12:02:44 AM »

Not always, but overall yes.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 01:47:54 AM »

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 08:06:33 AM »

Yes.  There are few people that are not assholes that worked hard and didn't find success.  You really can't answer this question unless you've lived a little.  If you're 18 and think you know the answer to this, you are very very wrong.

I guess it could depend on what you mean by "pay off".  If it means "rich" then the answer would be "sometimes", but if it just means "by middle age you've got a bunch of ways to entertain yourself and those you support" then the answer is "yes".

It also might not be "yes" in some western countries that have stupid unemployment numbers.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, 08:12:42 AM »

If by "pay off," one means financially, it usually is a necessary, but also typically by no means sufficient condition to get there. Smarts, having a skill set that is remunerative in the market place, ability to play well with others, and some luck as in being in the right place, at the right time, also often play a key role.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2016, 08:25:30 AM »

Very true.  Especially the play well with others bit.  It doesn't matter how hard you work, if everybody hates working with you, you're going to have a harder time finding success.  I think "luck" is a little overrated....but I would think that as I totally lucked into my current cushy gig Smiley

(but I created my own luck by being easy to work with, working hard (enough, I'm by no means a "hard worker"), showing up on time and generally not being an asshole....that got me the good references needed to luck into the cushy job)
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2016, 08:39:48 AM »

For the most part it can get you from being poor into the middle class assuming you were born into or immigrated into a developed country. I'm speaking on behalf of my own family's experience. Unfortunately, many poor or working class folks have other problems that prevent them from working hard in a way that advances their socioeconomic class, or were born in the wrong place.

Hard work isn't generally what gets you wealthy though, that depends more on luck.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2016, 08:40:03 AM »

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2016, 09:01:56 AM »

Hard work isn't generally what gets you wealthy though, that depends more on luck.
I suppose if you're counting the people born into, then yeah, but for the people that actually made the wealth....well very few of them didn't involve a lot of hard work.  A few young artists, maybe, but if they were unable to work hard they probably didn't keep that wealth.

Unless I'm forgetting some segment of wealth creation....the lottery winners?, I'm guessing they are a tiny fraction of the total (and don't we often read how many of them are bankrupt 4 years later?).  Or are you saying it's not the hard work that got them the wealth, it was the luck?  In that case, yes, sorta, but if the vast majority of ways wealth is created involves hard work, we can assume that hard work is an important contributing factor in it.  Nobody is saying it's the only thing or that if you do it, wealth will 100% come to you.  We're saying without it, it's pretty much guaranteed you WON'T be successful.

Saying to yourself "I'm not going to work hard because it's not a guarantee that I will become wealthy" is not a good idea.  On the other hand, it makes life a little bit easier for those that do work hard.  Less competition you see.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2016, 09:12:44 AM »
« Edited: March 21, 2016, 09:17:29 AM by PR »

Statistically speaking, it hasn't really been the case for most Americans in recent decades:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Full article: http://www.epi.org/publication/stagnant-wages-in-2014/

Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2016, 09:18:14 AM »

I suppose if you're counting the people born into, then yeah, but for the people that actually made the wealth....well very few of them didn't involve a lot of hard work.  A few young artists, maybe, but if they were unable to work hard they probably didn't keep that wealth.

What I meant is along the lines of: there is no situation where hard work can't help - but just through hard work alone the chance of becoming wealthy is small. So my opinion is that luck played a bigger role than hard work for most of the rich.

Plus there are plenty of types of hard work that don't lead to wealth, like caring for children, but are still necessary.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2016, 09:49:14 AM »

It's not about working harder, it's about playing smarter. This is easier said then done, of course, but hard work alone doesn't always make one successful. You need to be sharp professionally and socially, and then mix it in with a lot of hard work.

This isn't some gold standard, though. Just some observations I've made from shadowing older friends of mine who are entering their 30's now.

Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2016, 10:10:17 AM »

Always, even if it's not paying off in money.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2016, 11:50:28 AM »

What I meant is along the lines of: there is no situation where hard work can't help - but just through hard work alone the chance of becoming wealthy is small. So my opinion is that luck played a bigger role than hard work for most of the rich.

Plus there are plenty of types of hard work that don't lead to wealth, like caring for children, but are still necessary.
Ahh, yeah, I agree with all that.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2016, 12:23:06 PM »

Yes, on average. But the fact that it doesn't often enough that people find it hardly worthwhile to try, or try and try and barely get by, is a major problem.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2016, 01:11:38 PM »

Not always, but most of the time.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35