Nyman Weekly
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:38:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Nyman Weekly
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Nyman Weekly  (Read 3166 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2016, 10:53:55 PM »

Thanks to Truman and you're welcome to Ted!

And yeah, that's what I meant--Kingpoleon is a centrist, I'm a libertarian, and there are various people, including Haslam, Ted, and JoMCaR, in the "moditarian" zone in between.

Also, I'm curious, Kingpoleon, as to what exactly you dislike about CR calling themselves "center-right." Is it a dislike of that term in general? If so, I disagree--I think it's a good way to differentiate from pure centrists such as yourself without associating with the "very conservative" crowd.

I dislike the general term when we call Lieberman and Bloomberg "center-right" or "center-left". Obviously, I don't like Bloomberg, but he is a centrist. CR's use of it is rather confusing, IMO.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2016, 11:09:00 PM »

Well, many of the founding members of Civic Renewal were formerly moderate Federalists, and generally they identify more with the right than purely in the middle (having positive PM scores and often R-avatars).

Not to further clutter the thread with a pedantic discussion on terminology (it's the Atlas way Tongue) but would you consider anyone center-right? I think it's a good descriptor for someone like John Kasich, for example. Obviously more moderate than Cruz or Santorum, but still solidly right-of-center.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2016, 11:09:08 PM »

Excellent work! And thanks for using Michael Heseltine to represent me, I don't know what the hell was I thinking when I went with John Major for a few months.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2016, 11:17:09 PM »

Excellent work! And thanks for using Michael Heseltine to represent me, I don't know what the hell was I thinking when I went with John Major for a few months.

Google Images is a gift from God. So was your old campaign thread.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2016, 06:18:19 PM »

Unofficial issues about the elections will continue.

Southern Gubernatorial: Meet the Candidates

Southern voters are currently heading to the polls to pick their Governor! Here's a bit about the two candidates.

Speaker Haslam2020

Southern Speaker Haslam has been one of Leinad's closest allies in the South, and has emerged as a major political force as his Governor presided over a boom in activity and ultimately became the Federalist nominee for President. It's widely believed that the legislator is Leinad's hand-picked choice to succeed him in the Governor's mansion as he attempts a political comeback through a Senate run. So, when he's very popular, and endorsed by a Governor that's more so, why is he facing such a stiff challenge in the race for the Governorship of Atlasia's most conservative region? The answer lies with his own political beliefs. Haslam's much more moderate and arguably less ideologically rigorous than the man he aims to succeed, which has raised eyebrows in the sizeable libertarian faction in the region that elected people like Maxwell, JBrase, and PiT. Haslam and Leinad have both campaigned tirelessly to ease those concerns, but it remains to be seen whether their efforts will bear fruit by assuring nervous Federalists, indies, and DRs that he'll govern as a libertarian.

Judicial Overlord Spiral

Spiral was confirmed as Judicial Overlord just last month, but wasted no time in jumping into the thick of what has become a wild and wooly Governors' race. He boasts a long and broad resume, having served as a Senator, a Governor, a Lieutenant Governor, a State Legislator, and now a Judicial Overlord. His two votes for President Griffin are both liabilities and assets: they appear to have solidly consolidated the support of Laborites behind him, but the real question is whether they will drive libertarians that might have otherwise voted for Spiral to go Haslam. Additionally, many have argued that he lacks the recent and strong record of activity of his opponent, and he did not actively campaign in public during the race. Spiral's path to victory is clear: unite hardcore libertarians, Laborites, and swing voters to defeat Haslam. A loss of the Governorship in their strongest region would be a shocking blow to the regional and national Federalist Party. What we'll have to see over the next few days is whether he's able to pull it off.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2016, 06:08:24 PM »
« Edited: April 21, 2016, 09:05:06 PM by Ted Bessell, Bass God of the West »

I've essentially given up on the "Sundays" part. Maybe I'll get back to it after election season.

ISSUE #4: Capping the Presidential Field

The Presidential Election: A Broad Field for the Federalists

Senator Kent, a potential Federalist Presidential candidate in the upcoming elections.

The upcoming Presidential election will likely feature an extraordinarily diverse field from Atlasia's many parties. Here's a look at a few potential Federalist candidates.

FEDERALIST PARTY

Possible:
At-Large Senator ClarkKent: In many ways, Senator Kent represents the ideal candidate for the Federalists. He's a fresh face. He's the highest-ranking person of his political affiliation in the country. He appeals to essentially every faction of Atlasia's conservatives: there's arguably something for libertarians, moderates, and conservatives to love. However, many have concerns over Kent's relative inexperience and lack of accomplishments. "I like Marco Rubio," the Senator jokingly said in an interview last month, "but I don't want to be Atlasia's version of him." Kent has two months to build up his resume. We'll see if he gets in, and if it proves to be enough.

Southern Governor Leinad: Leinad's loss to President Griffin in February shocked many political observers, but left the Governor itching for a comeback. He found his opportunity in the at-large Senate elections, in which he's running to fill the Federalist seat vacated by longtime Senator North Carolina Yankee. If you asked pundits a month ago whether Leinad was going to run again, they would have laughed you off, perhaps saying it was likely he would stay in the Senate for a few cycles after getting in. However, now the suggestion may not seem so silly. Insiders say that Leinad, surprisingly, wants to wage a second White House bid, albeit not necessarily in June. Leinad has many critical connections in place from his February run, which could be a big advantage if he got into the race. However, many still doubt his interest. Additionally, running for President so soon in his term would be a risky move. "I don't want to be Atlas's Mitt Romney," he's said previously. We'll wait and see if that statement proves to be true.

Pacific Senator Potus2036: Few candidates present as much of a paradox to the Federalist party than the Pacific's Regional Senator, Potus. He defeated incumbent Senator Ebowed in a three-way race, in an election that also saw Federalist nominee Leinad carry the Region. Since taking office, Potus has led a major push to reform Atlasia's legal system, changed labor laws, and introduced legislation helping the ISIS fight overseas. Indeed, Potus has introduced a great amount of legislation, which enjoys broad support. "He's the most qualified person on policy issues in the entire party," says one Federalist higher-up. "Maybe the most qualified person in the game."

So, why are many people so uneasy about supporting him?

The answer lies in his past. From his stint in the Mock Parliament simulation to his vote for SomebodyWhoExists in October, Potus has done some things that have cast doubt on his reliability and potential radical ties. Potus has been considering a run since March. The question is whether he can assuage his own party's doubts enough to win the primary, and the general public's enough to win the general election.

Secretary of State Classic Conservative: Classic has shocked insiders by, indeed, beginning to lay the groundwork for a Presidential run. The firebrand SOS hasn't shied away from controversy during his tenure, with some people even wanting to ban him from the forum altogether. However, Classic has spent his term making friends with top party figureheads, and could be a stronger contender than many think. To win, Classic will need to expand his appeal to those outside of his ultraconservative core constituency. Whether that can be done remains to be seen.

Potential Dark Horses:
Midwest Governor tmthforu94: It's no secret that longtime Atlasian Tmth considered a run against President Griffin in February, but ultimately bowed out. Now that he isn't facing an incumbent, one might assume he'd be an even more likely candidate. However, his activity has been relatively low, and he recently resigned his position as a ConCon Delegate, leading most to believe he won't go for it. If he were to mount a bid, though, he could be a contender.

Southern Senator PiT: PiT lost a Presidential election many years ago by a single vote. Since then, he's remained a constant figure in Atlasian Politics, serving to this day as the South's Senator. He's been mentioned in a handful of circles as (obviously) a potential dark horse contender. PiT would bring virtually unparalleled experience to the table. However, most doubt he's actually interested in running, and think he'd prefer to continue to serve in the Senate for a while longer.

Southern Speaker Haslam2020: Haslam's loss to Independent Spiral in the Gubernatorial election was devastating for the Federalist Party, and sent shockwaves across Atlasia. Compounding the blow dealt to Haslam by a loss in the Federalists' strongest region is the fact that many Federalists see it as the result of Haslam's organizational failures. However, this doesn't diminish the accomplishments Haslam made in the Southern Legislature, including various infrastructure reforms and a major jobs bill. He'd be the very definition of a dark horse: a national virtual unknown who goes for it in the hopes of success. However, don't count him out just yet -- he could gain traction if no one else in his "moditarian" lane gets in.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2016, 09:12:43 PM »

We like seriously survived the apocalpyse last year. Spiral as South Governor is not a devastating blow.

A year ago we challenged for the position of South Governor for the first time since May 2014 and lost 2-1, we had four active people and that list of Presidential candidates was empty.

Now we have as many as a half dozen potential candidates for President, the longest running Senate majority for any party in the last ten years, leading positions in 4/5 regions, and the best Pacific Governor since probably Tyrion or maybe Spamage the first time.

Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2016, 09:16:24 PM »
« Edited: April 21, 2016, 09:18:09 PM by Ted Bessell, Bass God of the West »

We like seriously survived the apocalpyse last year. Spiral as South Governor is not a devastating blow.

I'm the media, I dramatize things Tongue. Also, thanks for the compliment!
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2016, 09:18:00 PM »

Great write-up, Governor.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2016, 09:19:13 PM »

Thanks.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2016, 06:33:04 PM »

I'll have an article capping Labor's Presidential field up either today or tomorrow. I've been trying to get it done for a week, and for a week things have kept getting in the way Tongue.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2016, 05:32:31 PM »

ISSUE #5: A Big Field for Labor

Many Potential Presidential Candidates for Labor in June

At-Large Senator Harry Truman, the seeming frontrunner for the Labor Presidential nomination

Labor has Presidential candidates too! Let's take a closer look.

LABOR PARTY

First Tier:
At-Large Senator Harry Truman: The ConCon's Presiding Officer, Truman is perhaps the Laborites' ideal candidate: relatively moderate, well-known, active, and one of the game's most prominent reformers. In virtually any contest, he would start as the prohibitive favorite for the nomination. However, some have questions about his ability to inspire people in Labor's progressive wing, and whether this would open up a lane for someone to primary him from the left. Truman starts as the frontrunner. We'll see if this holds up.

Northeast Senator Blair: Blair would be a frontrunner for the Labor nomination if he chose to get in. There's no doubt that the freshly-inaugurated Senator wants to be President, and he brings a great deal of both executive and legislative experience to the table. However, his February primary challenge to President Griffin was a double-edged sword -- it made crucial inroads into Labor's national community, but it also left a bad taste in the mouth of many prominent Laborites. However, most people think he would prefer to stay in the Senate for a while before mounting another White House bid.

Second Tier:
Mideast Governor NeverAgain: As Governor of the strongest region for Labor in the country, NeverAgain has been a good soldier for the party and has passed progressive reforms, in addition to dealing with the most difficult ISIS situation in the country. NeverAgain lacks the national profile of Truman or Blair, which could pose problems if he were to pursue the Presidency. His decision not to hold elections to the Mideast Legislature could also be problematic. However, it remains to be seen how a NeverAgain campaign would pan out.

Mideast Senator darthebearnc: Dar is a devout progressive, as anyone who regularly reads the 2016 board can tell you. He's part of a very large wing of Labor that might be unsatisfied with relative moderates like Truman or even Blair, and has the potential to make major inroads with that faction. However, his activity in the Senate has been rather lackluster, and he hasn't publicly expressed interest in a bid. Most see him as more likely to run for President in a later cycle, say, October or even next February.

Third Tier:
Northeast Assemblyman SomebodyWhoExists: The firebrand, nee radical, State Legislator could run as a Laborite or an Independent in order to represent the dwindling anti-reform forces in Atlasia. However, he is unlikely to achieve much success either way.

Mideast Legislator VPH: As a former Governor of the Mideast, VPH would be an interesting candidate if he chose to run. However, he doesn't appear to be very active in Atlasia anymore, much less interested in a Presidential run.

WILDCARD!!!!!11!!!!!1!!!1!!!:
Vice President Duke: Polls consistently show that Duke is the most electable Laborite/moderate independent candidate, and he's repeatedly hinted at a bid. He has a number of options: running as a Laborite, running as a TPPer or independent, or even forming a fusion ticket with a moderate Laborite (Duke/Truman, anyone?). However, it' unclear whether Duke is actually interested in occupying the Oval Office once more or he is simply playing us for fools. If Duke were to run, he'd stand a chance at clearing the field, and would be the prohibitive favorite for the Presidency. The question that remains is whether he really will.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2016, 06:06:06 PM »

ISSUE #5+1/3: Broad Support for Ratification

As Ratification Looms, Elected Officials Voice Approval

Northeast Senator Blair speaking in support of ratification on CNN

As of posting of this article, the Fourth Constitution enjoys near-unanimous support across the four Regions currently voting. Indeed, an old era of Atlasia is over. A new one is just beginning. We spoke to a number of prominent elected officials, and got their takes on the referendum. (I had a whole article written up and ready to post, but I accidentally pressed "F5" and lost the whole thing. So, we get a list of quotes. There's an interview and an article by two of the nation's most prominent Laborites, so there'll be plenty more.)

"Well, to be honest, my opinion on this is very simple. This new Constitution is great for adapting to a new generation of Atlasians. I see no reason why anyone shouldn't vote to ratify it." -At-Large Senator Smith, regarded by many as a potential candidate for even higher office.

"I swear to God...if this doesn't pass, then I will burn the existing Constitution to the ground, run for a third term, win, and continue pushing this through until it happens. Do you really want me sticking around?" -President Griffin, whose sky-high approvals indicate people do want him sticking around

"There are good parts in this, there are bad parts in this; the one thing that's for certain is this will be different. Atlasia has been suffering from low activity levels, and one thing is for certain: keeping the status quo, like we've been doing, won't work. We need to evolve in order for the nation to continue on; we need to embrace change." -Game Moderator Enduro, one of the highest-ranking Federalists in the country

"This new Constitution is exactly what we need to make Atlasia great again. Under the new system, we will win, we will win, and we will win so much that everyone will say 'Please, stop winning! We're bored of winning!' But we will keep winning and we will win big." -Mideast Senator darthebearnc, a relatively new player and rising star in the Labor party

"Quite frankly, I'd describe it as vindication. If we backtrack to almost a year ago, there was a lot of skepticism that Atlasia could ever be reformed, and quite a few people were advocating in all possible ways to kill the game for good. And here we stand, having a new Constitution and having survived everything from a communist revolution to a rival country, all thanks to the tireless effort of the younger members of the nation." -Former President and now-Pacific Speaker Lumine, who was one of the first proponents of a convention

"I believe that this constitution is the product of hard work on the behalf of so many Atlasians. It gives us the opportunity to have a rejuvenated future, one where this game can prosper. I'm so proud that I was able to take a part in these historic proceedings, and I'm confident we have a bright future with this new constitution!" -Mideast Legislator VPH, a former Governor and now a ConCon Delegate.

"I think the upcoming referendum will be a crucial point for the future of our nation. The movement for a Constitutional Convention started on July 2015, almost a year ago. The Constitutional Convention debated about the better solutions for the prolems that Atlasia is facing and now we have a new proposed Constitution. If it'll pass, the Atlasia system will change. Nothing will be like the past. There will be new enthusiasm, new players will be involved. I'm sure the new Constitution will be approved by all regions." -Former Senator and October 2015 Civic Renewal Presidential Nominee Cris. So far, his prediction is completely accurate.

"I believe that every Atlasian should back the new constitution, as it gives a platform to help build a better nation. Atlasia is at a crossroads - we can choose to improve our nation or to destroy any chance of improvement for the foreseeable future. I don't believe the proposal is a perfect document - consolidation is particularly something that I disapprove of, but I feel that there is something for everyone within the new constitution. Any minor issues can be corrected at a later date, so people shouldn't vote against it because of small things. The people must support this to move Atlasia forward." -Former Registrar General Clyde1998

However, it's difficult to argue that former Senator Yankee's quote wasn't the best:

"This is the Leip's doing and it is marvelous in our eyes."
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2016, 07:12:37 PM »

ISSUE #5+3/6: Truman Interview, Part One

Sitting Down With Truman

Senator Truman, obviously

1. The new Constitution is currently being voted on. How's the campaign for passage going?
I'm feeling cautiously optimistic. Experience has taught me to take nothing for granted in this game, so I won't exhale until the last ballot is cast; that said, this Constitution is a remarkable document and I can't for the life of me conceive of a reason not to ratify it. We have some extraordinary Atlasians working on the AYE campaign - the president is probably working harder on this than he did on his own reelection bid - and I'm confident that if we can keep that energy alive, nothing the Radicals throw in our path will stop us.

2. What sort of changes can Atlasians expect if the Constitution is passed?
Once the Constitution is ratified, there will be a two to three week transition period during which the new Congress and Regional conventions are elected. As soon as that happens, you're going to see several changes go into effect all at once that will collectively remake the face of the game. At the Regional level, you'll be consolidating the number of Regions from five to three and simultaneously increasing the breadth of policy under their domain. As a result, Regional elections will be much more important than they are right now: you'll see far fewer uncontested elections and far more efforts by both parties to win Regional offices. At the federal level, we're adding a second legislative house and revamping the Senate and the Supreme Court. That will change the dynamics within Nyman and also transform the way the public interacts with their national representatives. Finally, and most importantly, Article X - the reboot - will clear away all legislation passed in the last 11 years and provide a clean slate for lawmakers to fill afresh.

These reforms are important, but more so is the attitude of the Atlasian people as we enter this new era. Think of the Constitution as a snow plow clearing away the drifts that have blocked the path of our national locomotive: it removes many of the barriers that have held us back in the past, but it is up to us - not just the next president and Congress, but every Atlasian in every party - to fuel our national rebirth. The Constitution creates so many new and exciting opportunities for the future, but people have to take advantage of those opportunities. That, ultimately, is what drives activity.

3. What do you think about the ANB Privatization Act, currently being debated in the Senate? How much of the service should the Government own?
I feel like many people have a knee-jerk reaction to privatization proposals, which is a pity, because that's really not the best way to run a country. I've been working very hard to uncover all the facts surrounding this bill, no mean feat considering most of the Senate was under the impression that PBS still existed until a few days ago (it does not). From what I've been able to uncover, it appears that ANB is basically a more centralized successor to PBS.

After listening to my constituents and considering the facts, I do believe that the public should retain ownership of ANB. The great thing about a national broadcaster is that it isn't dependent on ratings to make a profit; this means that it is able focus on quality alone, take risks, and feature programing that, while perhaps not a money-making venture, is of profound cultural value. It just wouldn't be reasonable to expect a for-profit company to make the same kinds of decisions: their job is not to serve the public but to boost their bottom line, and while there is nothing in the world wrong with that, the ANB has a different mission that is better served by public ownership.

4. Governor NeverAgain recently postponed legislative elections in the Mideast due to low activity. Do you think that he was justified in this decision?
To be perfectly honest with you, I didn't know this decision had been made until after the governor announced it a few weeks ago. I've been so focused on bringing the ConCon to a successful conclusion and managing my responsibilities in the Senate that I barely check the Regional Government board anymore, and that an election was scheduled for March completely slipped my mind.

So, I was not involved with making the decision to postpone these elections. I have, however, worked in close concert with Never Again in the past, and I can testify that he is working harder than anyone to help the Mideast through these difficult times. This is not a case of Turkisblau canceling elections because he doesn't give a damn; Never Again has been proactively contacting potential Assembly members since he took office, and its thanks to him that we even have a working Assembly today. The governor is correct that, had elections taken place in March as scheduled, there probably would not have been enough candidates to fill the ballot. Had I been governor at the time, I probably would have held the election anyways, but I have nothing but respect for Never Again and remain confident that he will continue to serve his Region well.

5. Far-right political parties have experienced surge of political momentum around the globe, and the controversial film Death is Inevitable, viewed by many as racially charged propaganda, was the highest-grossing film since the ISIS attacks. What do you think is the best way to address the fears of citizens?
I think that the fears that are driving these frankly racist political movements are a lot more simple, and at the same time much more complex, that many people acknowledge. As human beings, it's ingrained deep in our nature to personify the forces that shape our world - ideas like war, famine, and disaster that are otherwise beyond our comprehension. We see this in the religion of the ancients, who ascribed the carnage wrought by natural disasters (for example) to the whims of vengeful gods. We humans also like to feel that we are in control of our destiny, and it can be very disconcerting to discover that this is not the case.

We're living in difficult and unpredictable times. Forces like globalization and terrorism and the innovations of the digital age are rapidly transforming our world and the very nature of modern life. Fifty years ago, a factory job was enough to get one into the middle class - now those positions are disappearing faster than they can be replaced. Terrorism has claimed victims, not just in the far-off Middle East, but in our own back yards. People are afraid for themselves and their families, and the emerging nativist movements offer an appealingly simple diagnosis: all our problems can be traced back to "Those People" (you know, the ones who aren't like us), and if we can just restore the glorious, monochromatic past, everything will be fine.

Now, of course, you and I know that this is utter nonsense not fit to manure a country garden, but an academic discussion of facts and figures is unlikely to satisfy people who feel they are at the end of their ropes. The best way to strangle nativism is to provide a positive alternative to such claptrap and to back it up with results. We can't reverse globalization, but we can rebuild the communities that have been effected by it. Second, we must demonstrate that we are taking the threat posed by ISIS seriously by defeating them on the battlefield and preventing home-grown terrorists from harming innocent civilians. Most importantly, perhaps, we must prevent this racism and dishonest tribalism from infecting our youth by partnering with schools and local communities to dispel this false narrative and replace it with the truth.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2016, 07:13:48 PM »

ISSUE #5+2/3: Truman, Part II

6. NASA is currently planning to put an American colony on Mars by 2020. The private business Space Inc. is also planning to send humans there. In addition, China has announced plans for a colony that may be established as soon as 2018. Do you support the approval of NASA's plan? Is it important to you that we get to Mars before China?
I am fully in favor of this project. Putting a colony on Mars would do great things for our understanding of the universe, and would strengthen Atlasian prestige with the world abroad to boot. If we can beat the Chinese to it, so much the better.

7. Unemployment in Atlasia is currently quite high, with the national rate around 8.7%. What measures do you think are needed to create jobs and boost the economy?
Given the chaos of the past two years, I'm frankly surprised that the numbers aren't even higher. This is a country that's been through a civil war, multiple terrorist insurgencies, an attempted communist uprising, secessionist movements in several Regions, and the near collapse of constitutional government in July - naturally, businesses are wary and investors are hesitant to take risks. If it weren't for President Griffin's steady leadership over the past seven months, I'm convinced that these numbers would be far worse.

The first thing we have to do to turn things around is to restore stability and confidence in the long-term viability of the markets. The ratification of the Fourth Constitution will be an enormous boon on this front, as it will bring a long period of uncertainty and upheaval to a close. The second thing we have to do is to make it easier for individuals and businesses to take risks. We can do this by keeping the tax rate low for middle-class families and small businesses and by maintaining a cap on interests rates (of course, the latter power rests with the Federal Reserve). Third, we can stimulate growth by investing in our Regions and our national infrastructure. The 2016 Budget set aside funds for a Regional stimulus program - the next president and Congress will need to work together to pass such a bill once the Constitution goes into effect.

8. The DPRK was confirmed to possess nuclear weapons and the means to launch them, although it is unclear whether they are capable of reaching Atlasia. What should Atlasia do to address this?
We must remain vigilant and continue to work with our allies in NATO and Asia to isolate North Korea from the rest of the international community. The DPRK's fanatical pursuit of nuclear power is the act of a regime that has run out of tricks - we should be wary, but also recognize that we hold the upper hand and act accordingly.

9. What do you have to say to new players and forum users who may be taking a look at the game amid the buzz about the new Constitution?
This is a great time to get involved. When the Fourth Constitution takes effect next month, there will be an explosion of new opportunities. The men and women who are elected to lead our new Regions and to shape the character of our bicameral Congress will have the chance to shape the future of Atlasia for generations to come. If you've wanted to make the plunge into political life before, but we're waiting for the right opportunity, now's the time to get your foot in the door and make your voice heard!

10. Finally, the big question: Are you going to run for President in the upcoming elections?
I don't want to distract from the ratification battle by going into too much detail about my future plans. I will say this: the next president, whoever he or she may be, will need all the experience and strength of character they can get to successfully chart a course through the next four months. When sailing through uncharted waters, it's best to have a tested and capable captain at the helm - someone who knows how to run a ship, bring people together behind a common goal, and achieve what he sets out to accomplish. President Griffin has set a great example for future heads of state - we'll see what comes from here.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2016, 07:25:19 PM »

Also, I've brought on At-Large Senator Smith and Northeast Senator Blair as contributors/partners/etcs. They're smart guys who will provide fresh voices to the paper.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2016, 05:13:38 PM »

ISSUE #6: Blair Out in June Race

Blair: Not Running for President

Blair wrote an article for us! Cheesy

In situations such as these in Atlasia the opportunity to use clichés are ever present- ‘we’re at a crossroads, we’re staring our future in the face, we’re about to jump into a new opportunity ’ … and this is just stuff I’ve picked out from my own speeches. Jokes aside- I’ll keep it simple- we need a stronger Atlasia.

The Constitutional Convention was a long task, and the architects of it- President Griffin, Former Senator Yankee and Cris, and Speaker Truman who took the rather heavy task of getting the nitty gritty done. I urge all voters to vote for the Constitutional Convention- because we simply need a stronger game. By creating a new House of Representatives we’ll bring players into the excitement of national government where we’ll be forging new polices on healthcare, workers’ rights, education, housing and so many more. We need regional consolidation to make the regions stronger, and more active and most importantly- we need a chance to start Atlasia a fresh.

It’s also for this reason why I’m writing my first article on here- we need Fresh Leadership in the most important role of all- the Presidency. The new President will have to shape the Agenda, bring new players into the game, and frankly be the heart and soul. After much deliberating, after much agonizing and after a frank thought into my own aspirations I’m announcing that I won’t be running for President in June. I’ve seen myself mentioned in several polls, and after going through a tough Labor Primary in January it’s time for another face to step forward and led the nation. I don’t want the song, and dance of a hypothetical primary hanging over the party for the next month- I’m not running. I do however intent to continue in Atlasia- namely doing what I’ve been doing for the last 7 months- fighting for the Northeast. I hope the voters in the Northeast, and sections of the Mideast give me a chance to continue to serve them in the New Post-Ratification Senate. If I’m giving the honour of another term in the Senate I hope that I can work with leaders from across all parties and across the land to chart our new destiny.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2016, 08:37:18 PM »

I've been quite busy lately, unfortunately. However, I'll get it back up and running this weekend.

On an unrelated note, Nyman Weekly is happy to host and moderate debates for any purpose or election.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2016, 10:53:29 PM »

Would Nyman Weekly mind hosting a debate for the North's senator?
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2016, 11:19:13 PM »

Would Nyman Weekly mind hosting a debate for the North's senator?

Once the Labor primary is settled, sure.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2016, 06:27:45 PM »
« Edited: June 09, 2016, 08:54:42 PM by Ted Bessell, Bass God of the West »

It's back!

ISSUE #7: The Race Takes Shape

Leinad vs. Truman

Outgoing At-Large Senator Leinad, the de facto Federalist candidate for President

The June Presidential race turned out as most expected -- outgoing Senator and former Southern Governor Leinad in a furious battle with Senator Truman.

Truman was the first candidate to declare his campaign, giving a speech before a large crowd in Bloomington, Indiana on May 23rd. Most of the Labor Party has united behind the moderate Senator (outside of some far-left elements like Former Pacific Governor Turkisblau), and he is unlikely to be opposed in his party's primary. Since then, Truman has rolled out a platform that, while certainly nothing you'd see from a Federalist, is a significant departure from the TNF era of Labor, and perhaps even from the Griffin Administration. This is part of a major push for moderate voters that's a crucial part of Truman's campaign strategy.

In the meantime, Leinad's campaign is also rollin' on. He's also played for moderates, announcing longtime Atlasian, former President, and current Pacific Speaker Lumine as his running mate. The founder of the center-right Civic Renewal, he was considered a potential Presidential candidate, but ultimately opted out of the race. However, even with Lumine on the ticket, the Federalists have had an unexpectedly difficult time earning CR's endorsement, with centrist Kingpoleon arguing that the party should not back a ticket and Truman making a serious play for the party's support. It remains to be seen whether Truman's play for Atlasia's centrist bloc will pay off.

A recent Nyman Weekly poll showed Leinad with a comfortable lead over Truman. It remains to be seen whether this will hold. The House elections, in which it looks like the Federalists won a majority (although the verdict in evergreen v. rpryor may shake things up) are a good sign for Atlasia's largest conservative party -- it's been shown once again that they can win a contested Federal election. However, it seems we'll just have to wait on the presidential. All we can do is try our best to cover it.

For now, we'll have one article per issue Tongue. Maybe I'll ramp things up over the summer.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2016, 02:09:07 AM »

Wonderful to have it back! Cheesy
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2016, 10:09:20 PM »

We are pleased to announce that we will be hosting a debate between Leinad and Truman, the two candidates for President of Atlasia in the upcoming election, on Monday night.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2016, 08:56:12 PM »

ISSUE #7: Kingpoleon on the North Government

Kingpoleon Speaks!!!!!111!!!1!!!

I choose you!

We were lucky enough to have Northern Committeeman and former Governor/Speaker/Asssemblyman Kingpoleon write an article for us!

"The Making of a New Region"

In the Northern region, I have learned many things on this Committee. I have found common ground with many former foes and fought against friends. In this region, we have many diverse ideas. Therefore, I intend to defend our current work and map out some future hopes.

I have been on the losing side twice now. Those are "The Northern Union of Franklin" and two at-large seats plus three district seats in the Assembly. For the former one, I merely wished to compromise on the name of our region. That failed.

However, for the second one, I learned that sometimes the best and most innovative idea to one person may fail. I think the idea of five at large members of the Assembly is confusing, because you have people in fifth place winning a seat.

However, in the end, I intend to support our Northern Constitution, and I encourage all Northern citizens to do so as well. Is it perfect? No. However, it is the best solution a group of people this big can come up with.

I ask that you, the people, ratify it once finished; not for my sake or for your sake, but for the sake of your region. I have complete trust and faith in this Committee, and at the end of the day, I believe that will be justified.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies