How did Obama beat Hillary for the nomination?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:29:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  How did Obama beat Hillary for the nomination?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How did Obama beat Hillary for the nomination?  (Read 5111 times)
wolfsblood07
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 23, 2016, 10:31:59 PM »

From what I read on Wiki, Hillary won more primaries, including most big states.  And she had the early support of the party establishment as I recall.  And, for what it's worth, she won more popular votes than Obama did in the primaries.  I do recall a weird snafu with the Michigan and Florida delegations, but still.  How did Hillary not win it?  Bill must have been seething with rage because she got robbed!
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 10:46:49 PM »

I guess you just had to be there.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 10:47:50 PM »

Hillary won more primaries and won more big states, but she tended to win them somewhat narrowly (rarely >60%, and never in a "big" state). Obama was able to compensate by running it up in the South, Illinois, and the caucus states. He also managed to sometimes get more delegates out of states that he nominally lost such as Nevada and Texas.

For example, on Super Tuesday, Hillary netted +46 delegates in NY, which Obama countered with a +55 delegate performance in IL. Hillary won California, netting +38 delegates, which Obama basically negated with +35 delegates in Georgia.

After Super Tuesday, Obama went on a winning streak based on a favorable calendar. By the time that was over, he'd built up a considerable delegate lead and more or less coasted to the finish line.
Hydera

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 10:52:21 PM »
« Edited: March 23, 2016, 10:54:40 PM by ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) »

Obama beat Hillary big in the caucuses which added to getting more delegates in the primary states meant Hillary lost.

A thing to note about her popular vote, Obama won 100 more delegates in the primary than Hillary and added to his crushing margin in caucuses since caucuses awards candidates with Younger voters and free time and who aren't shy to support their candidate. Obama would actually win the popular vote over Hillary if those caucuses vote totals were added.

Also to note, Michigan and Florida tried to move their primary earlier and got punished by having 2/3rds of their delegates removed. However one third of the delegates was still up and Hillary went there to campaign despite less delegates and she scored higher than Obama in the popular vote because she campaigned in those two states while Obama didn't campaign and encouraged his supporters in Michigan to vote uncommitted since he removed his name from the ballot there.
wolfsblood07
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 11:02:53 PM »
« Edited: March 24, 2016, 12:25:23 PM by wolfsblood07 »

Usually the arcane rules of the nomination process favor the party favorite.  The delegates seem to pile up for them, even when they lose states.  In '08 it was like Obama just appeared out of nowhere, no one had even heard of him 5 years earlier!  And he beat the Clinton machine.
And the delegate selection rules favored him, as if written specifically for him.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 01:07:39 AM »

By playing the delegate game like no one ever had.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 05:31:38 AM »

Usually the arcane rules of the nomination process favor the party favorite.  The delegates seem to pile up for them, even when they lose states.  In '08 it was like Obama just appeared out of nowhere, no one had even heard of him 5 years earlier!  And he beat the Clinton machine.

And that's why he is considered the greatest politician of our generation.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 10:14:30 AM »

Did the occupants of your basement have a vote?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 05:09:04 AM »

Did the occupants of your basement have a vote?

Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot about Rubiohahahahahaha!!!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2016, 06:39:55 AM »

Obama was excellent in playing a delegate game: aiming at making it as narrow as possible in states that favored Hillary, while working for landslides in smaller states that favored him. Every since the Iowa Hillary was just trying to caught up with him. It was narrow and not decided until the last contest, but he managed to hold the edge for all season.
Californiadreaming
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 12:22:57 PM »

Obama was excellent in playing a delegate game: aiming at making it as narrow as possible in states that favored Hillary, while working for landslides in smaller states that favored him. Every since the Iowa Hillary was just trying to caught up with him. It was narrow and not decided until the last contest, but he managed to hold the edge for all season.
Yes, this certainly appears to be spot-on! Indeed, Obama's large victories in the caucuses and the fact that he won something like 90% of the Black vote significantly helped cause Obama to narrowly come out ahead in the delegate count in 2008.
Californiadreaming
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 12:25:35 PM »

And, for what it's worth, she won more popular votes than Obama did in the primaries.

Only if the Uncommitted vote in Michigan isn't counted as a part of Obama's vote total.

Plus, in any case, popular vote is irrelevant and Hillary should have known this before the primaries began.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

In large part because she lost both the caucus states and the Black vote by very large margins.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Bill might have been seething with rage all he wanted; however, the U.S. certainly needed a break from 20 (or 28, if one includes Bush Sr.'s years as Reagan's VP) of continuous Bush-Clinton rule. Smiley
PikaTROD
Rookie
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2016, 10:03:10 PM »

What I don't get is if Barack and Hillary were so close in 2008, how is it a challenge at all to beat Trump?
I mean, I guess it is a different ballpark, but still. Has her likableness gone down that much?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2016, 11:12:39 PM »

What I don't get is if Barack and Hillary were so close in 2008, how is it a challenge at all to beat Trump?
I mean, I guess it is a different ballpark, but still. Has her likableness gone down that much?

Popularity in primary races is VASTLY different than in general elections.

Trump himself is Exhibit A of this phenomenon.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2016, 09:52:48 PM »

And, for what it's worth, she won more popular votes than Obama did in the primaries.

Only if the Uncommitted vote in Michigan isn't counted as a part of Obama's vote total.

Plus, in any case, popular vote is irrelevant and Hillary should have known this before the primaries began.

[quote]
Funny i wonder if you would still say this.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2020, 10:46:22 PM »

Because she didn't bother with trying in caucuses & making a play for the delegate math. Yeah, she won the big states but Obama just crushed her elsewhere.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies