North Carolina Overturns LGBT-Discrimination Bans
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:45:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  North Carolina Overturns LGBT-Discrimination Bans
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8
Author Topic: North Carolina Overturns LGBT-Discrimination Bans  (Read 15221 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: April 20, 2016, 05:17:40 PM »

The folks canceling concerts could have issues with contractual legalities.

Ever heard of the Hobby Lobby decision?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #151 on: April 21, 2016, 07:56:14 AM »

U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit has ruled that a transgender high school student who was born as a female can sue his school board on discrimination grounds because it banned him from the boys’ bathroom.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

North Carolina is now clearly in violation of Title IX.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #152 on: April 21, 2016, 08:18:23 AM »

There's another lawsuit in the making. Title IX deals with sex, not gender identity, so regardless of how one feels about the transgender issue, I think it's still a stretch to interpret it as such. Now obviously that doesn't preclude Congress from amending Title IX though.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #153 on: April 21, 2016, 08:55:06 AM »

No amendment will happen with the Republican majority.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #154 on: April 21, 2016, 10:41:29 AM »

No amendment will happen with the Republican majority. Thankfully
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #155 on: April 21, 2016, 01:48:33 PM »

There's another lawsuit in the making. Title IX deals with sex, not gender identity, so regardless of how one feels about the transgender issue, I think it's still a stretch to interpret it as such. Now obviously that doesn't preclude Congress from amending Title IX though.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #156 on: April 22, 2016, 06:30:11 AM »

Gass, the 4th circuit ruling wasn't that the Obama administration implementation of Title IX with respect to transgendered individuals was definitely the correct implementation under the law.  What it ruled was a far narrower procedural issue, namely that because of that implementation, the student has a case to make during which the school board can put forth its argument that the Obama administration overstepped its Congressional authority.  That is, the district court judge can't just set aside what the administration has done without have a case to rule on.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #157 on: April 22, 2016, 06:45:39 AM »

What I find funny, is all of these business and people coming out saying they are leaving  NC is how  hypocritical they are. Their business and such were in NC the week before  Charlotte passed the law. So what has changed from the time before this whole deal happen? To my understanding, and I could be wrong, but nothing right?
What changed is the law.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #158 on: April 22, 2016, 06:47:04 AM »

I wouldn't call North Carolina the Deep South--more like the Outer South.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #159 on: April 25, 2016, 03:00:27 PM »

It really looks to me like the SJWs are going to lose this one. North Carolina doesn't seem to care if a few musicians cancel concerts or the NBA moves the All-Star Game.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #160 on: April 25, 2016, 09:54:39 PM »

It really looks to me like the SJWs are going to lose this one. North Carolina doesn't seem to care if a few musicians cancel concerts or the NBA moves the All-Star Game.

Thank God and who cares about the all star game anymore. The real fun is the dunk , 3point, skills challenges .
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #161 on: April 25, 2016, 09:57:29 PM »

Why should NC Republicans in the legislature care? They rigged the hell out of their legislative maps in the last round of redistricting and essentially locked in a majority for the foreseeable future. Thus, they don't have to worry about losing that majority. They may lose some seats here and there, but that's it.

With no real competition, they are free to do whatever bs they please.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #162 on: May 05, 2016, 12:57:14 AM »

So the Obama justice department found a way this violates the civil rights act: https://www.google.com/amp/amp.slate.com/blogs/outward/2016/05/04/justice_department_tells_north_carolina_hb2_violates_federal_law.html?client=ms-android-verizon#

Of course, NC could just ignore them and take whatever hit in federal funds there may or may not be.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #163 on: May 05, 2016, 01:02:12 AM »

> only SJW's care about not treating LGBT's like $hit.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #164 on: May 05, 2016, 08:19:45 AM »

> only SJW's care about not treating LGBT's like $hit.

SJW is now a cheap short handed label to put on any progressive policy position. It's replaced 'PC' (which itself came into fashion when you couldn't call people 'uppity negroes' anymore) as the new moniker to be deployed by thin skinned, prissy, conservatives.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #165 on: May 05, 2016, 08:53:58 AM »

So the Obama justice department found a way this violates the civil rights act: https://www.google.com/amp/amp.slate.com/blogs/outward/2016/05/04/justice_department_tells_north_carolina_hb2_violates_federal_law.html?client=ms-android-verizon#

Of course, NC could just ignore them and take whatever hit in federal funds there may or may not be.

Serious question. If this violates 50 year old Federal Law, how come this hasn't been done in the last 50 years? In other words, if 1964 allowed Gay Marriage, how come there weren't gay weddings in 1965? Why wait 50 years?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #166 on: May 05, 2016, 11:17:37 AM »

Serious question. If this violates 50 year old Federal Law, how come this hasn't been done in the last 50 years? In other words, if 1964 allowed Gay Marriage, how come there weren't gay weddings in 1965? Why wait 50 years?

This has nothing to do with gay marriage.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #167 on: May 05, 2016, 02:06:50 PM »

I know but what I mean is...where did all of sudden all these hidden rules in Federal law come from? How come these weren't discussed in 1965 or 1975 or 1988 or 1999. How come it's all right now?
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #168 on: May 05, 2016, 02:47:57 PM »

I know but what I mean is...where did all of sudden all these hidden rules in Federal law come from? How come these weren't discussed in 1965 or 1975 or 1988 or 1999. How come it's all right now?

If the 14th amendment desegregated schools in 1868, why did it take 90 years?

Anti-discrimination laws are written as broad tools for a reason. The drafters of legislation like the Civil Rights Act know that they cannot foresee all of the silly forms of insidious discrimination that might arise in the future. For instance, no one was passing ridiculous bathroom laws until just now, so of course nobody tried applying Title VII to such laws before now.

The broader answer to your question of course is that we, as a society, have learned a lot over the decades and now realize that it was always wrong to treat LGBT people as harmful elements to be ostracized from society.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #169 on: May 05, 2016, 05:05:08 PM »

Can the Justice Dept do this if the law isn't even being enforced?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #170 on: May 07, 2016, 12:08:56 PM »

How far does the 14th amendment go, though? If someone says, "I have the right to walk around naked in public!", does the 14th amendment get justified in that case, too? When does it stop? Could a murderer just as easily say, "Well I have the right to kill under the 14th amendment!"?

Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #171 on: May 07, 2016, 12:24:00 PM »

What imposition on others is a result of LGBT equality? I'd have to imagine the person being murdered would have a pretty good argument against a theorized right to murder. And that's giving your analogy a million times more thought than it deserves.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #172 on: May 07, 2016, 12:34:25 PM »

What imposition on others is a result of LGBT equality? I'd have to imagine the person being murdered would have a pretty good argument against a theorized right to murder. And that's giving your analogy a million times more thought than it deserves.

Naso just wants a Safe Space where he doesn't have to interact with or be aware of LBGT people.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #173 on: May 07, 2016, 12:36:17 PM »

Naso just wants a Safe Space where he doesn't have to interact with or be aware of LBGT people.

If that's the case, then he should get as far away from this forum as possible.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #174 on: May 07, 2016, 12:38:46 PM »

What I am trying to figure out is how far does "Not judging and giving people their expression rights" go?

We are at a point right now where liberals say we are terrible people unless we agree that men who say they identify as women should be allowed to use the bathroom of their choice.

Are we on track to say, "If that person wants to have sex with children, we shouldn't judge..." ?? I mean, where is the line in the sand drawn? That's what I'm asking.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies