North Carolina Overturns LGBT-Discrimination Bans
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:36:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  North Carolina Overturns LGBT-Discrimination Bans
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: North Carolina Overturns LGBT-Discrimination Bans  (Read 15196 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2016, 01:29:33 PM »

Look on the bright side: the employment rate will soar as every establishment hires official crotch-squeezers to ensure the correct genitals are going in the correct room.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2016, 01:33:18 PM »

Look on the bright side: the employment rate will soar as every establishment hires official crotch-squeezers to ensure the correct genitals are going in the correct room.
Except post op trans people will still have to use the bathroom of their sex at birth.  So add birth certificate inspection experts to that as well.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2016, 01:39:35 PM »

This bathroom laws will probably get struck down by the Supreme Court at some point. Regardless of what happens to Scalia's seat I don't see Kennedy upholding them.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2016, 02:06:08 PM »

How is this bathroom check thing even supposed to be enforced anyway? It's not like people carry their birth certificates with them, and you can't exactly go back home to pick it up when you have a urgent need.

But yeah, hopefully it will soon get struck down.
Reginald
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2016, 02:24:30 PM »

How is this bathroom check thing even supposed to be enforced anyway?

It's pretty clear that all measures like this are made with people who don't "pass" in mind-- the "pervy old man in a dress" meme for example. It wouldn't surprise me at all if conservatives were totally ignorant of the fact that some trans people would, just by appearance alone, attract way more hostility by using the bathroom of their "assigned" gender.

So basically, if you "look like a woman," you use the women's bathroom. Obviously a flawed thought process that leads to super ambiguous enforcement, but that shouldn't really be a surprise.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2016, 03:09:00 PM »

NC just passed this anti-gay, anti-trans bill.  It's probably the most stupid thing that's ever been cooked up by an activist legislature. 

I doubt that any one of the people that voted for it, including the Governor, even have the faintest idea about what transgender means.

The conservatives suggest that this is because they don't want men going into women's bathrooms?

Do they have any idea what trans people look like?

These are the guys that will be now walking into women's restrooms because of this stupid-ass law:

So the law is going to do exactly what it was trying to stop:

It's going to put men in women's bathrooms.

And teenage girls will be forced to go into men's bathrooms:

Good job, NC Republicans.  Maybe next time you might want to use your brains when writing a law.

See that's why we want to ban hormone therapy and prohibit sex change operations from being covered by insurance, Medicare, or Medicaid. That way those women don't get to grow beards and still have to use the correct restroom.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2016, 03:54:19 PM »

So would the naturally androgynous looking be a victim of your purges Wolverine? Because you see a lot of (non-trans) people without particularly obvious gendered markers - often an effect of age, hormonal imbalance or personal choice. What then?
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2016, 03:58:25 PM »

Honestly, I don't think there's any coherent way to legislate the [Inks]ing bathroom issue one way or another.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2016, 04:05:31 PM »

Honestly, I don't think there's any coherent way to legislate the [Inks]ing bathroom issue one way or another.

The question is, why would anyone try to in the first place?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2016, 05:31:47 PM »

The question is, why would anyone try to in the first place?

Exactly.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2016, 10:43:18 PM »

Well, this is a silly law. It's even sillier it was passed and signed by the governor. NC is at risk of losing a lot of business now, which is a high price to pay to make sure everyone is using the correct restroom
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2016, 11:02:10 PM »

As usual when the Assembly does something crazy that he goes along with, McCrory blames the media at a press conference.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2016, 12:39:08 AM »

If the Governor felt he had to, could he call a special session to re-vote on the bill and try to over-turn it, if business pushed him to?
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2016, 01:42:06 AM »

See that's why we want to ban hormone therapy and prohibit sex change operations from being covered by insurance, Medicare, or Medicaid. That way those women don't get to grow beards and still have to use the correct restroom.

Jesus, I don't think I've ever heard even the looniest, most bigoted social conservatives ever call for legislation declaring who is and is not allowed to grow a beard.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2016, 01:55:48 AM »

Jesus, I don't think I've ever heard even the looniest, most bigoted social conservatives ever call for legislation declaring who is and is not allowed to grow a beard.

Yeah, I'm pretty reactionary and I fully admit that I don't exactly ooze with sympathy for the transgender movement, but Wolverine's positions are just out there.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2016, 08:50:07 AM »

Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2016, 10:00:52 AM »

Well, this is a silly law. It's even sillier it was passed and signed by the governor. NC is at risk of losing a lot of business now, which is a high price to pay to make sure everyone is using the correct restroom

You failed to define "correct".

What's the bathroom issue that needs correcting? That is, "one way or another" seems to imply that there's something happening in need of corrective action, but I haven't seen any evidence of this at all.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2016, 12:00:45 PM »

What's the bathroom issue that needs correcting? That is, "one way or another" seems to imply that there's something happening in need of corrective action, but I haven't seen any evidence of this at all.

It's simple: no men in women's bathrooms. No women in men's bathrooms. That shouldn't even be debatable. I don't know how you can see that:

and not agree with me. That sort of thing belongs on Jerry Springer, not in the mainstream. I don't see this as a partisan issue, it's not a right vs left issue, it's a right vs wrong issue.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2016, 12:01:45 PM »

You are really a gross, gross person.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2016, 12:07:53 PM »

That's kind of my point, actually. Both attempting to legislatively prohibit or attempting to legislatively actively ensure that trans people can go to the bathroom they want to seem like futile, unenforceable-in-a-sane-society exercises.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2016, 12:09:42 PM »

That's kind of my point, actually. Both attempting to legislatively prohibit or attempting to legislatively actively ensure that trans people can go to the bathroom they want to seem like futile, unenforceable-in-a-sane-society exercises.

Sure, though the latter one largely takes care of itself, where people "pass" (itself kind of a gross term, and dismissive toward others who don't fit it). The GOP actively ramping up hatred, though, and proposing to encourage monitoring of bathrooms, etc., is pretty insane.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2016, 12:11:15 PM »

You are really a gross, gross person.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2016, 12:21:28 PM »

I know it would be a bit obvious, but I feel the need to point out that it would be ridiculously easy to take Wolverine's post, change a couple words, and replace the picture with that of a Black person in the 1950s. Just sayin'.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2016, 01:02:53 PM »

Roy Cooper not defending the law against legal challenges.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2016, 01:20:38 PM »

It's simple: no men in women's bathrooms. No women in men's bathrooms. That shouldn't even be debatable. I don't know how you can see that:

and not agree with me. That sort of thing belongs on Jerry Springer, not in the mainstream. I don't see this as a partisan issue, it's not a right vs left issue, it's a right vs wrong issue.

Wait, so what am I supposed to be looking at here? Yes, it's a transgender girl. I really don't see your point, though, and the rest of your post doesn't make any coherent argument for this overturning, so I don't know what you're going on about.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies