North Carolina Overturns LGBT-Discrimination Bans
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:22:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  North Carolina Overturns LGBT-Discrimination Bans
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8
Author Topic: North Carolina Overturns LGBT-Discrimination Bans  (Read 15225 times)
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: April 02, 2016, 05:38:27 PM »

So in that case, how can we accommodate transgender people humanely and respectfully, while still addressing situations like this: http://www.krem.com/news/local/northwest/man-in-womens-locker-room-cites-gender-rule/45412534 / http://www.torontosun.com/2014/02/26/predator-who-claimed-to-be-transgender-declared-dangerous-offender

Would mandating that public buildings designate unisex restrooms be acceptable? I'm not being sarcastic here, and I'm actually asking this as a legitimate question. Is there a middle ground we can find?

Everything that that second guy did is already very very illegal. No new laws required.
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #126 on: April 05, 2016, 09:52:42 PM »

You should all watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDAU3SPYFsA
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #127 on: April 05, 2016, 10:08:11 PM »

Nope, no thanks.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #128 on: April 05, 2016, 10:25:01 PM »

My high school was apparently swept into a "rebellion" today as children dared one another to "break the law" by stepping into bathrooms of the opposite gender.

lel
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #129 on: April 06, 2016, 11:23:03 PM »

It's a good point about psychiatry when they say that there's no cure for a lot of those disorders, so we have to make a person comfortable with whatever they have. After giving this a lot of thought, especially after I pissed off so many people over this, I found that I can somewhat relate to how transgender people feel through my own psychological issues, namely major depression and Aspergers. If you can't just tell me to stop being an aspie, you can't tell somebody else to stop being Trans. And yes, I'm being genuine here and I'm not BSing. Live and let live.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #130 on: April 06, 2016, 11:26:39 PM »

Normalizing mental illness, as in, your nutty religious beliefs?  Thanks for the projection.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #131 on: April 06, 2016, 11:50:53 PM »

Normalizing mental illness, as in, your nutty religious beliefs?  Thanks for the projection.

Whoever made this video seriously needs a grammar lesson. "This is an mental illness." You lose all credibility when you can't even put a proper sentence together.
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #132 on: April 07, 2016, 12:01:51 PM »
« Edited: April 07, 2016, 12:04:55 PM by vern1988 »

What I find funny, is all of these business and people coming out saying they are leaving  NC is how  hypocritical they are. Their business and such were in NC the week before  Charlotte passed the law. So what has changed from the time before this whole deal happen? To my understanding, and I could be wrong, but nothing right?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #133 on: April 07, 2016, 12:25:16 PM »

It's a good point about psychiatry when they say that there's no cure for a lot of those disorders, so we have to make a person comfortable with whatever they have. After giving this a lot of thought, especially after I pissed off so many people over this, I found that I can somewhat relate to how transgender people feel through my own psychological issues, namely major depression and Aspergers. If you can't just tell me to stop being an aspie, you can't tell somebody else to stop being Trans. And yes, I'm being genuine here and I'm not BSing. Live and let live.

Fair enough. Glad to know that an internet discussion has actually changed someone's mind. Tongue
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #134 on: April 07, 2016, 03:17:20 PM »

What I find funny, is all of these business and people coming out saying they are leaving  NC is how  hypocritical they are. Their business and such were in NC the week before  Charlotte passed the law. So what has changed from the time before this whole deal happen? To my understanding, and I could be wrong, but nothing right?

It's a sustained, and published case of regression. It's also not just about Charlotte-it affects all LGBT legislation (I believe other areas had cases covered)
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #135 on: April 07, 2016, 08:11:52 PM »

Smiley
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #136 on: April 08, 2016, 11:37:51 AM »

Whether you're progressing or regressing on rights matters as much as where you are now. This is pushing back against regression, and also serves as a warning to other states not to pass these laws.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #137 on: April 08, 2016, 02:26:03 PM »

🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #138 on: April 08, 2016, 03:38:42 PM »

Because drawing attention to such a non-issue is a blatebt attempt to whip up hysteria (similar to the marriage bans of ten a decade ago).
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #139 on: April 09, 2016, 10:35:32 AM »

A very famous rock musician has canceled his concert in the state because of this law. He joins many businesses that are taking their operations elsewhere.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #140 on: April 09, 2016, 10:34:50 PM »

'Well, Wolverine, a wide range of research from various scientific disciplines contradict you there-'

'Doesn't matter lol.  I learnt this in third grade and I never managed to graduate after that'

"Also, some trans people yelled at me in college, and therefore deserve no rights"
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #141 on: April 11, 2016, 10:41:18 AM »

Smiley

I suggest the above poster read the above.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #142 on: April 13, 2016, 08:23:17 AM »

We don't make laws on how we "identify". You can't be a man and go into a girl's bathroom and say, "I identify as a woman". You can't pull out handcuffs and say "I identify as a police officer". You can't run into a court room and say, "I'm not a lawyer, I never passed the bar or went to law school...but I identify as one".

What the hell is going on?
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #143 on: April 13, 2016, 08:34:57 AM »

We don't make laws on how we "identify". You can't be a man and go into a girl's bathroom and say, "I identify as a woman". You can't pull out handcuffs and say "I identify as a police officer". You can't run into a court room and say, "I'm not a lawyer, I never passed the bar or went to law school...but I identify as one".

why do you keep identifying as someone with opinions worth sharing, then?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #144 on: April 13, 2016, 08:36:42 AM »

why do you keep identifying as someone with opinions worth sharing, then?

You disagree with my statement?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #145 on: April 13, 2016, 08:42:25 AM »

So in that case, how can we accommodate transgender people humanely and respectfully, while still addressing situations like this: http://www.krem.com/news/local/northwest/man-in-womens-locker-room-cites-gender-rule/45412534 / http://www.torontosun.com/2014/02/26/predator-who-claimed-to-be-transgender-declared-dangerous-offender

Would mandating that public buildings designate unisex restrooms be acceptable? I'm not being sarcastic here, and I'm actually asking this as a legitimate question. Is there a middle ground we can find?

I'd be for that, but I bet the far left wouldn't like it. They'd say we were "marginalizing them" or some crap. It will never be enough for them. Ever.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #146 on: April 13, 2016, 04:33:14 PM »

Ringo Starr joins boycott
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #147 on: April 13, 2016, 04:34:11 PM »

Why would anybody see a solo Ringo Starr concert anyways?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #148 on: April 13, 2016, 07:25:50 PM »

Why would anybody see a solo Ringo Starr concert anyways?

Thomas the Tank Engine groupie?
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #149 on: April 20, 2016, 10:37:23 AM »

The folks canceling concerts could have issues with contractual legalities.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies