White Protestant New Yorkers (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:27:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  White Protestant New Yorkers (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: White Protestant New Yorkers  (Read 1727 times)
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« on: March 16, 2021, 01:35:39 PM »

If you could figure out the areas that Hoover did best in in 1928 (if city precinct level data is available anywhere) and work backwards that might be a good place to start.
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 02:35:59 PM »

My Daddy was a WASP who grew up in Brooklyn. His grandfather lived in his parents house in Brooklyn, who was a Confederate soldier who became a POW in the battle of Petersburg, and after the war, moved to Brooklyn of all things. Anyway, my Dad was a Pub because of the "corrupt" Irish pols like Jimmy Walker, and because he found the Irish tended to be pugilistic, to the point that given his Irish sounding last name, he sometimes found it convenient to pretend to be Irish. After his first wife died, right after WWII he married an Iowa gal, my mother, and moved to California.

That's a really fascinating family history. Were other branches of your family on your father's side also native WASP New Yorkers?
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 02:49:27 PM »

Do we mean White Protestants or people of "WASP" origin?

There's a decent number of non-WASP White Protestants living in the New York area to this day, mostly of German descent and Bay Ridge is known as a Swedish neighborhood. There also was significant immigration from England and Scotland during the Ellis Island era though I don't think they ever clustered in a particular area that became known as a Protestant neighborhood. Torie's family history made me wonder how many southern whites emigrated to New York because while it definitely wasn't as many as California or midwestern cities there probably was a fair number as there's census tracts in Brooklyn with significant Scotts-Irish ancestry to this day.

I'm guessing the OP was referring specifically to "old stock" New Yorkers here before the Civil War and it would honestly be incorrect to refer to all of them as WASP either as it's possible a majority might even have been of Dutch descent. New York was probably the least anglo of the thirteen colonies.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies