White Protestant New Yorkers (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:41:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  White Protestant New Yorkers (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: White Protestant New Yorkers  (Read 1739 times)
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« on: March 25, 2016, 02:03:51 AM »

I suspect that save a few old patrician types and maybe some super-duper rich investment bankers, WASP New Yorkers are probably quite liberal - and not very Protestant.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 03:57:33 PM »

Top census tracts for English ancestry in NYC:

http://www.usa.com/rank/new-york-ny--english-as-first-ancestry-population-percentage--census-tract-rank.htm?yr=9000&dis=&wist=&plow=&phigh=
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 01:41:42 PM »

Do we mean White Protestants or people of "WASP" origin?
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 04:09:15 PM »

Glazer and Moynihan estimated the "WASP" (i.e. colonial stock + descendants of British immigrants) population at about 5% of NYC in the early 1960s.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 04:25:20 PM »

The city in 1960 was 14% Black and 8% Puerto Rican.  They estimated the city to be about one quarter Jewish, one sixth Italian, one tenth each Irish and German. 

(I'm referring to Beyond the Melting Pot, a classic sociological study of ethnicity).
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 04:29:31 PM »

I'm guessing today many if not most with English, Scottish, German, Dutch, French and "American" ancestry in NYC today are transplants.  Most live in Manhattan or Brownstone Brooklyn and they're almost certainly the most D white demographic, given that they're a mix of patricians and urban liberals.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2021, 12:39:47 PM »
« Edited: March 18, 2021, 12:47:59 PM by King of Kensington »

Do we mean White Protestants or people of "WASP" origin?

There's a decent number of non-WASP White Protestants living in the New York area to this day, mostly of German descent and Bay Ridge is known as a Swedish neighborhood. There also was significant immigration from England and Scotland during the Ellis Island era though I don't think they ever clustered in a particular area that became known as a Protestant neighborhood. Torie's family history made me wonder how many southern whites emigrated to New York because while it definitely wasn't as many as California or midwestern cities there probably was a fair number as there's census tracts in Brooklyn with significant Scotts-Irish ancestry to this day.

I'm guessing the OP was referring specifically to "old stock" New Yorkers here before the Civil War and it would honestly be incorrect to refer to all of them as WASP either as it's possible a majority might even have been of Dutch descent. New York was probably the least anglo of the thirteen colonies.

New York ca. 1790 was English than Dutch, and there was Yankee migration to the city in the early 19th century as well.  A significant number of the "old stock" had at least some Dutch ancestry though, just as in Philadelphia a significant number had colonial German ancestry.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2021, 03:48:30 PM »

I wonder when the "WASP" population in NYC peaked (in raw numbers).  Hard to measure since there wasn't an ancestry count until 1980 and the composition of the Native White Native Parentage category was rather different in say, in 1890, 1930 and 1960.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies