Converting to Catholicism
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:32:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Converting to Catholicism
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Converting to Catholicism  (Read 2336 times)
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 24, 2016, 06:27:38 PM »
« edited: March 24, 2016, 06:48:36 PM by Southern Gothic for Southern Legislature »

I've recently become very dissatisfied with my current faith and church. I'm an evangelical Presbyterian, and would like to convert to Roman Catholicism. What are the steps I need to take to do this?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 11:40:01 PM »

I converted to Catholicism about six years ago. Basically you just go to weekly RCIA classes at the parish you'd like to join starting in September-ish which continue until Easter Vigil where you get baptized/confirmed if you so desire.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 10:32:15 AM »

Yay! Yayayayyaaya!
I converted to Catholicism about six years ago. Basically you just go to weekly RCIA classes at the parish you'd like to join starting in September-ish which continue until Easter Vigil where you get baptized/confirmed if you so desire.

All correct. I would suggest that you reach out to your prospective parish now so they can tell you when RCIA begins and perhaps the priest can suggest some reading material in the meantime. All the best to you during this process! You will receive an actual RCIA sponsor, but we will be here to be your RCIAtlas sponsors!
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 10:34:56 AM »

Erm... ditto! Welcome to the club. Cheesy
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 10:38:14 AM »

I appreciate all the warm thoughts! I've talk to the local priest, and he's help me make arrangements for everything!
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 11:00:27 AM »
« Edited: April 01, 2016, 01:40:55 PM by LIVE THE DREAM. PURGE THOSE BOZOS »

I've decided to go through this process as well, although my life is currently too unsettled for me to do RCIA regularly. Good luck on your journey.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 10:42:06 PM »

Welcome Smiley
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 07:51:39 AM »
« Edited: April 01, 2016, 07:53:17 AM by White Light »

I think I'm going to go this route too.

After thinking about this for awhile I've realized now that if I'm serious about faith I should try joining a church with more substance. The difference between Catholicism and the emergent church is kind of like a classic old painting versus someone photoshopping a new version of it, it might still look nice but it's not the same thing. There's also a lot of superficial elements and plays to emotions instead of deep theological constructs.

Obviously there's a lot I don't agree with in Catholicism, but focusing on that alone completely misses the point. Is the Church an institution people can't disagree in? And it seems like I'm valuing my liberal politics and whole subculture over things that should matter more.

I'll still go to my normal church Sunday, but only because one of the pastors is leaving and it's her last week and I want to see her and send her off. After that I'll check out Catholic churches here and talk about converting with a priest once I find one I like.
Small L
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 12:45:07 PM »

I think I'm going to go this route too.

After thinking about this for awhile I've realized now that if I'm serious about faith I should try joining a church with more substance. The difference between Catholicism and the emergent church is kind of like a classic old painting versus someone photoshopping a new version of it, it might still look nice but it's not the same thing. There's also a lot of superficial elements and plays to emotions instead of deep theological constructs.

Obviously there's a lot I don't agree with in Catholicism, but focusing on that alone completely misses the point. Is the Church an institution people can't disagree in? And it seems like I'm valuing my liberal politics and whole subculture over things that should matter more.

I'll still go to my normal church Sunday, but only because one of the pastors is leaving and it's her last week and I want to see her and send her off. After that I'll check out Catholic churches here and talk about converting with a priest once I find one I like.
I got it from the very first sentence Tongue
Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 01:01:41 PM »

I am glad to hear that so many people decides to become Christians.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2016, 03:38:13 PM »

http://www.catholic.com/documents/how-to-become-a-catholic
Why
Unbiased
Australia

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2016, 04:49:02 PM »

Don't join the Catholic Church it is a false religion.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2016, 05:35:41 PM »

Protip: if you have absolutely nothing of worth to contribute to these threads, how about you don't post in them?
Why
Unbiased
Australia

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2016, 05:42:06 PM »

Protip: if you have absolutely nothing of worth to contribute to these threads, how about you don't post in them?

Okay I will not post anything that is not worthwhile.

Catholicism is a false religion.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2016, 06:32:37 PM »

Move along troll, your hate isn't going to influence anyone here.
Why
Unbiased
Australia

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2016, 06:39:08 PM »

I am not a troll. Catholicism is marred with un-Biblical doctrines which separates believers from God and his salvation. No one should be deceived and join this wicked institution.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2016, 07:18:55 PM »

Can we lock up "Unbiased" and NYMillennial in a room together and have them fight to death pls?
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2016, 07:19:25 PM »
« Edited: April 03, 2016, 07:37:24 PM by LIVE THE DREAM. PURGE THOSE BOZOS »

I am not a troll. Catholicism is marred with un-Biblical doctrines which separates believers from God and his salvation. No one should be deceived and join this wicked institution.

It's an interesting doctrine, sola scriptura. It appears nowhere in the Bible itself--how could it? 'The Bible' obviously did not exist as a coherent body at the time that Scripture was written. When the New Testament says 'Scripture' it's generally referring to the Hebrew Bible. Scripture as we know it was compiled by the Church, as part of the series of developments that created the Catholic and Orthodox traditions. Scripture and Tradition are not separate sources of authority.
Why
Unbiased
Australia

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2016, 09:18:17 PM »

It's an interesting doctrine, sola scriptura. It appears nowhere in the Bible itself--how could it? 'The Bible' obviously did not exist as a coherent body at the time that Scripture was written. When the New Testament says 'Scripture' it's generally referring to the Hebrew Bible. Scripture as we know it was compiled by the Church, as part of the series of developments that created the Catholic and Orthodox traditions. Scripture and Tradition are not separate sources of authority.

There are many cases in the Bible of God using wicked people to do his will, not the least of which being the Romans involvement in the crucifixion of Jesus. So being involved in the compilation of the Bible proves nothing.
When tradition and doctrines contradict the Bible they can safely be dismissed.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2016, 10:28:44 PM »
« Edited: April 03, 2016, 10:30:30 PM by LIVE THE DREAM. PURGE THOSE BOZOS »

There are many cases in the Bible of God using wicked people to do his will, not the least of which being the Romans involvement in the crucifixion of Jesus. So being involved in the compilation of the Bible proves nothing.

But on what basis?

My point is that accepting the basis on which the Bible is confessed as Scripture necessitates, at the very least, accepting the authority of the early ecumenical councils. Sure, one might just decide to accept the Bible while rejecting and calling 'wicked' the reasoning behind the process by which it took shape, but, again, on what basis?
Why
Unbiased
Australia

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2016, 10:36:07 PM »
« Edited: April 03, 2016, 10:38:38 PM by ??? ??? ??? »

But on what basis?

My point is that accepting the basis on which the Bible is confessed as Scripture necessitates, at the very least, accepting the authority of the early ecumenical councils. Sure, one might just decide to accept the Bible while rejecting and calling 'wicked' the reasoning behind the process by which it took shape, but, again, on what basis?

You don't need to know anything about how the Bible was compiled to believe it was written by inspiration of God. You just need to look at its characteristics and decide that there is something different and special about the Bible that makes the claims made in it about itself to be true. The Bible stands on its own and does not need the recommendation from anything else.

The thinking behind the compiling of the Bible might well have been right in many ways but that does not prove that the thinking of those same people was correct on everything or that they really were faithful servants of God.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2016, 10:58:58 PM »

But on what basis?

I don't know how good a claim this is, but I remember my fundamentalist pastor said that the canon was more or less fully developed before the ecumenical councils and that all churches were more or less operating on the same scripture, give or take a few books.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2016, 11:20:24 PM »

I don't know how good a claim this is, but I remember my fundamentalist pastor said that the canon was more or less fully developed before the ecumenical councils and that all churches were more or less operating on the same scripture, give or take a few books.

This is a reasonable response/counterclaim.

You don't need to know anything about how the Bible was compiled to believe it was written by inspiration of God. You just need to look at its characteristics and decide that there is something different and special about the Bible that makes the claims made in it about itself to be true. The Bible stands on its own and does not need the recommendation from anything else.

The thinking behind the compiling of the Bible might well have been right in many ways but that does not prove that the thinking of those same people was correct on everything or that they really were faithful servants of God.

This isn't.
Why
Unbiased
Australia

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2016, 12:29:26 AM »

This is a reasonable response/counterclaim.

This isn't.

Why?
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2016, 12:31:57 AM »

The problem with Unbiased's reasoning is that it treads awfully close to the line of thinking advocated by King James Only-ism, in which case you get stuff like this.

You can't completely divorce the Bible form the history surrounding it, including its compilation.  One can still be a fundamentalist, Bible-believing, literal Christian and believe that scripture is 100% inerrant, and still study the historical context of the books of the Bible when establishing why they're valid and what they mean.

Arguing that the Bible is internally consistent is certainly good if we're talking about defending the Christian faith generally, but it's not really valid to defending an exact canon, at least in my mind.  
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies