New Zealand Votes to Keep Its Flag
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:32:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  New Zealand Votes to Keep Its Flag
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: New Zealand Votes to Keep Its Flag  (Read 2046 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2016, 04:49:28 PM »

Because it's f**king boring that half a dozen countries around the world still have variations of the Union Jack as their flags. It's much better for every country's to have its unique flag.

Also, every relic of the British Empire must be torn down.

That's not even a remotely good reason.

'This flag, unlike the previous flag, can readily be distinguished from other flags' isn't a good reason?

I mean, I can readily distinguish it just fine.

Good for you. Many people in many contexts can't.

Even if such is true, the people of New Zealand have decided it doesn't bother them much.

Your exact words were 'that's not even a remotely good reason', not 'that's apparently not a sufficient reason'.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2016, 06:39:33 PM »

I thought it looked great, actually. Not too minimalistic like the standard three-color European flags, but not too busy either. I would have preferred Option E though.

I too dislike the existing NZ flag, and while the new suggestion was not too busy, it still looked more like the logo for a travel company more than a national flag, it simply lacks dignity (something the existing one do have, even if it's ugly as f**k) 
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2016, 11:03:45 PM »

Very sad news. The flags of Wisconsin and Oregon are better looking than the ugly defaced British Blue ensign. I can't imagine why anyone would defend it, or at least a reason that isn't petty.

I mean come on, the least they can do is give it a different background than Australia to solve the issue with being identical at a distance.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2016, 12:36:28 AM »

Why do you care? it's just a flag without any bad connotation to it. What difference does it make

Because it's f**king boring that half a dozen countries around the world still have variations of the Union Jack as their flags. It's much better for every country's to have its unique flag.

By that logic, every country except France should replace their tricolor flags.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2016, 01:10:59 AM »

'This flag, unlike the previous flag, can readily be distinguished from other flags' isn't a good reason?

Even if such is true, the people of New Zealand have decided it doesn't bother them much.

Your exact words were 'that's not even a remotely good reason', not 'that's apparently not a sufficient reason'.

My point was in the unlikely case that your point was true, the people of New Zealand didn't care either way.

But my original point, which I still stick by, is that I can readily distinguish it and so can the majority of New Zealanders.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2016, 06:12:32 AM »

Very sad news. The flags of Wisconsin and Oregon are better looking than the ugly defaced British Blue ensign. I can't imagine why anyone would defend it, or at least a reason that isn't petty.

I mean come on, the least they can do is give it a different background than Australia to solve the issue with being identical at a distance.

It does have a different background - the shade of blue is considerably darker.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2016, 07:59:31 AM »

In every context, the flag is distinguishable unless it's on a flag poll and there's no breeze. That's it. There are more important tangible, every day things a country should get right in all contexts; coinage and banknotes for example (of which the USA is one of the worst when it comes to aiding partially sighted people) which NZ gets right. As a country it is defined by national symbols other than what's on it's flag. Australia is the same. If anything that's post-imperialist/post-nationalist and should be applauded.
Antarctic
Rookie
New Zealand

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.57

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2016, 04:47:30 AM »

Virtually everyone I knew voted for the new flag so I wasn't surprised that the final vote was much closer than many anticipated.

To a degree it doesn't matter as the official NZ flag seems to be seldom used by ordinary kiwis...it's interesting to see the Silver Fern is ubiquitous at sporting events and on the backpacks of young travellers.It is the de facto flag.

The old flag offends me because of the Union Jack...we are not English and should have a flag which represents us and not some long gone British Empire.More and more  Kiwis are no longer of English descent.
The confusion with the Australian flag is annoying...I'd love to have a flag which was instantly identifiable and would have been happy with any alternative showing the Silver Fern although my preference would be for a simple Fern on a black background which is the most common flag seen here.

I think the vote would have gone the other way had it not been for the hypocrisy of the Labour Party and the Greens (which I normally support.)
John Key was right to expect that both parties would support the change as they have both expressed such views in the past.He hoped that it would be a non-political issue.

However the opposition parties have seen this as an opportunity to gain a small win over the frustratingly unassailable Key and campaigned against the change.
Consequently we've had the weird result of some of the most conservative rural parts of the country voting for the change and the liberal latte belt voting against it....quite bizarre!!

Their failure to support what they believe has probably set the issue back a decade or two but it will happen...perhaps when we become a republic.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2016, 06:37:07 AM »

Virtually everyone I knew voted for the new flag so I wasn't surprised that the final vote was much closer than many anticipated.

To a degree it doesn't matter as the official NZ flag seems to be seldom used by ordinary kiwis...it's interesting to see the Silver Fern is ubiquitous at sporting events and on the backpacks of young travellers.It is the de facto flag.

The old flag offends me because of the Union Jack...we are not English and should have a flag which represents us and not some long gone British Empire.More and more  Kiwis are no longer of English descent.
The confusion with the Australian flag is annoying...I'd love to have a flag which was instantly identifiable and would have been happy with any alternative showing the Silver Fern although my preference would be for a simple Fern on a black background which is the most common flag seen here.

What is wrong with you people?....

Antonio, it has been a fascinating experience watching you and other white men like yourself attempt to understand the issues and speak on behalf of individuals from diverse backgrounds.

For your information, the Maori community voted 80% to keep the current flag design.

Can we only assume that the ethnics are clearly not conscious of their oppression under this piece of nylon?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2016, 08:51:56 AM »

In every context, the flag is distinguishable unless it's on a flag poll and there's no breeze. That's it. There are more important tangible, every day things a country should get right in all contexts; coinage and banknotes for example (of which the USA is one of the worst when it comes to aiding partially sighted people) which NZ gets right. As a country it is defined by national symbols other than what's on it's flag. Australia is the same. If anything that's post-imperialist/post-nationalist and should be applauded.

Honestly, in saying that I was mostly motivated by a desire to take the piss out of NYMillennial's preening, condescending, unearned self-satisfaction. Unfortunately he doesn't have enough self-awareness for this to have worked.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2016, 12:33:02 PM »

Antonio, it has been a fascinating experience watching you and other white men like yourself attempt to understand the issues and speak on behalf of individuals from diverse backgrounds.

For your information, the Maori community voted 80% to keep the current flag design.

Can we only assume that the ethnics are clearly not conscious of their oppression under this piece of nylon?

What in the world are you blathering about? Huh
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2016, 01:33:07 PM »

What in the world are you blathering about? Huh
something about oxford, i think
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies