WASP suburbs and Jewish suburbs
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:02:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  WASP suburbs and Jewish suburbs
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: WASP suburbs and Jewish suburbs  (Read 4619 times)
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 25, 2016, 01:52:29 AM »

How does their voting differ within metropolitan areas at a similar socioeconomic level?  In other words, what extent does the difference disappear when you account for regional differences (i.e. to what extent are Jews "more liberal" and WASPs "more conservative" just a factor of where they're from or live in the country.)

There still seems to be a pretty big difference.  For instance Lake Forest vs. Highland Park in Chicago, Rye vs. Scarsdale in Westchester, etc.

I suspect the differences are bigger though in places in the Sunbelt where Jews are many transplants (i.e. Atlanta Jews are a lot more liberal than Atlanta WASPs), than in say, Boston.  But that's likely because Democratic voting is likely pretty similar everywhere (at least outside the New York area) among Jews. 
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 02:17:44 AM »

I grew up in Connecticut and given my experiences in Fairfield County towns like Darien, Greenwich, New Caanan and Wilton tended to be heavily Republican (New Caanan more then all the others) and towns like Westport which was more Jewish but almost as wealthy was more Democratic leaning, (it's trended Republican locally in recent years though a Trump or Cruz nomination will probably more then reverse that.)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 11:18:42 AM »

"WASP suburbs" don't really exist anymore. I assume you mean "upper middle class non-Jewish white suburbs"
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 11:41:49 AM »

Maybe the difference between somewhere like Lower Merion Township (Montgomery CO), PA and Tredyffirin Township (Chester CO), PA?
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 12:18:52 PM »

I can assure you that a non-Jewish white suburb of Boston has MUCH, MUCH more in common with a Jewish suburb on Long Island than it does with a white non-Jewish suburb in Atlanta.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 07:30:25 PM »

A possible working definition for "WASP suburb":  where British + American first ancestry (and hence no overlap) forms a plurality of the population.  By that definition New Canaan and Darien CT, Rye NY and Kenilworth and Lake Forest IL all qualify.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 08:03:50 PM »
« Edited: March 25, 2016, 08:07:17 PM by King of Kensington »

A qualification:  There may be some suburbs that meet my definition but with a Jewish population almost the same size.  Montreal's Westmount is like that.  I'm sure there's several in the US too (possibly Larchmont, Chevy Chase, some places on Chicago's North Shore etc.)  So strike out anywhere that has a Jewish population of at least say, 20%.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 09:42:10 PM »
« Edited: March 25, 2016, 10:43:58 PM by Zen Lunatic »

A possible working definition for "WASP suburb":  where British + American first ancestry (and hence no overlap) forms a plurality of the population.  By that definition New Canaan and Darien CT, Rye NY and Kenilworth and Lake Forest IL all qualify.

It goes back to some of those towns having anti-Semitic restrictions on Jews moving there at one point.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 09:59:15 PM »

It goes back to some of those towns having anti-Semitic restrictions on Jews movint there at one point.

Probably virtually all of them.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 07:27:37 PM »

Highland Park's wealth level isn't quite at Lake Forest's level, but Glencoe's is.

When we look at the 2008 results below, we see WASPy Lake Forest as Pub and Glencoe deeply blue. Yet, when we look one south, we see Winnetka, which is WASPy like LF, yet light blue (probably light red in 2012, but much bluer than LF).

Different types of rich WASPs is how I would summarize it.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2016, 02:50:36 PM »

Probably being closer in to Chicago plays a role in Winnetka being more liberal than Lake Forest as well.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 04:17:17 PM »

Probably being closer in to Chicago plays a role in Winnetka being more liberal than Lake Forest as well.
How would that make Winnetka different demographically?
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2016, 10:47:06 PM »

How would that make Winnetka different demographically?

Likely younger and more urban in culture. Not sure on the stats for the first item but can confirm the second.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2016, 01:59:51 AM »

I'm sure Winnetka has a larger Jewish population than Lake Forest (maybe 10% or so in the forme, and probably 2% or less in the latter) but I don't think that's the main reason for it being more Democratic.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2016, 12:39:12 PM »

Assuming these voting figures are correct, but the author is likely exaggerating the Jewish population in selected places and the Jewish vote's contribution to the Democratic vote (it's quite possible that wealthy non-Jews are more liberal in heavily Jewish suburbs as well).

http://rrhelections.com/index.php/2011/09/08/the-grosse-pointes-why-they-still-vote-republican/

In 2008, Kenilworth and LF went 57% and 56% Republican, Winnetka 44%.

Glencoe voted 73% Democratic and Wilmette 67%.

Highland Park, meanwhile, went 76% that year, according to Wikipedia.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies