USA takes in 5 million Syrian refugees. How feasible is this?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:37:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  USA takes in 5 million Syrian refugees. How feasible is this?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: USA takes in 5 million Syrian refugees. How feasible is this?  (Read 607 times)
The Last Northerner

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 25, 2016, 01:58:10 AM »

Let's pretend Obama has a lapse. He's not running for re-election and doesn't care about the political consequences. Europe is not equipped to deal with the current refugee crisis and Obama says 'We'll take em'. He signs an executive order taking 5 million refugees outside Syria over the course of... say 10 years. That would be roughly 500,000 refugees per year out of a population of 325 million.

----

There are some reasons why the United Staets could handle them better than any European nation states.

1. It has a strong mass surveillance state and should be able to better screen for possible threats.

2. There's more people and land so it wouldn't create the same mass imbalance as Europe. There would be more cities for the refugees to be settled and they would be more spread out.

3. American Muslims appear better intergrated than US Muslims. Do highly educated Muslims pick the US to go to vs less educated Muslism in the Europe (I'm guessing). Perhaps I am putting the cart before the horse but something in the US appears better at this.

4. Ethnoreligious communitarianism and religious extremism are already rooted in the US.

----

Do you think this is a feasible idea or just left-leftist gibberish? I'm just throwing this out there.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 05:54:48 AM »

You think Trumpettes are pissed off now?  Good Og man, this would be the line in the sand for a lot of them.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 10:47:03 PM »

You think Trumpettes are pissed off now?  Good Og man, this would be the line in the sand for a lot of them.

We could always organize for some kind of trade.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 10:53:29 AM »

We could always organize for some kind of trade.

I would happily trade Syrian refugees 1 to 1 or even to 1 to 2 or 3 Trump voters.

As for this suggestion, usual I wouldn't support it, but the hypocrisy of Americans on this issue make me support it.

Funny fact; Södertälje Municipality (population 83,600) in Sweden have taken in more Iraqi refugees than USA and Canada combined.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 11:39:41 AM »

Regular immigration has fallen from 1.5 million per year in the mid-1990s to just 900,000 in 2013 and keeps slowly trending downward.

Refugee settlement goes pretty smoothly in the U.S. as far as I know, so as long as our agencies properly plan and allocate resources, there should be very few problems.

But of course, this isn't politically feasible.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies